family doesnt support me is it worth it?

Options

Replies

• stellaandzoiecat
    stellaandzoiecat Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Think of all the great health benefits that it will have for you! Losing weight is going to let you live a longer life and your family needs you to be around!
  • Sojaided34
    Options
    I will not work out with people in the house either. I have to send everyone upstairs to the main part while I workout in the basement. DVDs get paused too if they come down. It's something you have to overcome. Just try not focus on them and focus on your workout.
  • baoneill29
    baoneill29 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    You go another 15 days and they won't be thinking that. Then you go another 30 days. Imagine if you kept at if for a year, became an inspiration to your family, and everyones health improved by what you started 15 days ago. You are worth it!

What great posts here too! These are from people who know!
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    My husband and my daughter mocked and dismissed my efforts for about the first month. Once my husband saw I was serious and didn't give a crap what he thinks, and he started seeing the results on my body, he started changing his tune. He went from mocking, to tolerating, to now supporting me. And my daughter tells me how proud she is. I think it freaks families out when you try to change yourself somehow, especially if you are in a huge "caregiver" role. It's like, "Oh no. Mom is taking care of HERSELF for once. OMG, maybe some attention will be taken away from US. And maybe the chips and cookies and nice homecooked meals will STOP! Let's panic." I don't know, that's my psychological analysis of it all. Lol.
  • marvelmo
    marvelmo Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    when one member in a family changes it makes the other members uncomfortable. The status quo will resist but gradually if the changee (you) stays the course your family will realize no matter what they do/say can prevent the change. Acceptance happens, sometimes others change, sometimes others support but YOU can not use that excuse! My family doesn't support me is the negative thinking talking. Hang tough! there are many successes here and so much support cheering you on wanting you to succeed. Just a thought, consider eating closer to your calorie allotment sometimes too few calories and a busy life results in irritability (speaking from experience) Exercise makes one mentally & physically strong. You can do this!:flowerforyou:
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Is it worth it? Yes! Think of a life where you feel comfortable in your clothes. Think of your future without diabetes and heart disease. Think of how your knees will feel fine in 20 years if you lose the weight now. You can do it. You're losing it for you, not them.
  • stacyrhoades11
    stacyrhoades11 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Be the example!! Once they see you making progress they will change thei mind about not doing it with you!
  • chelle_fri
    chelle_fri Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I used to be very self conscious when I worked out. In the words of the great Dr. Seuss "Those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter." Honestly, You're doing this for you and no one else. I know it's terrible when you catch people staring at you or saying unsupportive things, but keep at it. You'll gain better form in your movements, and your body will start changing. When that happens, the comments and stares will change as well.
    "Wow, I really regret doing all of that exercise." Said no one ever. :)
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    If people are around and you don't want to workout in front of them, then just head out the door and go for a walk. Walk a s brisk pace for as long as you can and then go home. Don't worry about what other people think. I felt really self conscious when I started running (particularly when I would wear tight running clothes) I felt like I was subjecting the world to the sight of my not so good looking body jiggling around but I kept at it non the less. Now I'm down about 25 lbs from where I started (right before I found MFP) and while I still have a ways to go, I know that I have nothing to be embarrassed about and if anybody has an issue with how I look, then they can run my 5 to 13+ miles and then tell me about it! :P
  • fatpanda96
    Options
    bump :)
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    You can do this. You just have to want it. It really doesn't matter in the long run if they support you in your goal. You make this happen. Once you start seeing results, they will start seeing it too.

It was like that for me until the first 30 fell off. Then, my guys (all men in this household except for me) were on board and kept the "sweet snacks" out of my reach (I'm also the shortest one). 109 pounds later, you better believe I counted on me and I believed that this time was different.

You can do this! Really, you can do this!
  • emmeylou
    emmeylou Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear that your family isn't supporting you... it does hurt emotionally no matter how hard you try to block it. Ultimately though, this journey is for you and you alone. Next time they see you exercising ask them if they want to join in... if they say no just smile, shrug, and keep going.

Also, a tip from someone who has lost the weight... always remember that this is a marathon and not a sprint. There will be times when you only lose a pound, or your weight *gasp* goes up, or you stall out for weeks at a time. The way to do it is one pound at a time. When you see "1 lb lost" on the scale, smile and be HAPPY because that is great! Its a test of patience. It is also a great learning experience. Sure you learn about diet and fitness, but you also learn a heck of a lot about yourself along the way! Have fun :)
  • shicken684
    Options
    It's tough, and I bet most of your family is overweight. If so, chances are they secretly rooting for you to fail. They don't want to see you lose weight, and lead a healthy life style because then they have one less excuse. I was hoping to lead the charge and be the one who got healthy in my house, it didn't happen. It took me a while to realize that I shouldn't give a **** what they think, or if they followed in my footsteps. I quit smoking, and dropped this weight for me, not them. Sure, I'm sad they haven't done the same, but that's their choice. I made mine.

High cholesterol and diabetes runs in my family. Everyone just assumes we have **** genetics. That's what I thought. Had high trigs, and was on my way to diabetes. Until I got blood work done a few months after I had started on my diet. Even with me still 45 pounds overweight I had a clean bill of health. Normal numbers. I think that's when I realized I only had control over my own life. Everyone still believed that it was all genetics and nothing they could do about it. Even though I was there, the contradiction, staring them in the face. They have to know it's not genetics...I'm proof, but they wish to continue their bad habits. That's up to them, but I won't let it stand in my way. Now, I can't wait to go get my blood drawn. I'm actually excited about my lab work coming in for the first time ever.

Best of luck to you, and try to continue despite their crap attitude. A cheap gym worked for me. See if there are any planet fitness nearby. Anyone can afford them at $10/month(no contract). Sure it's not the greatest gym, and a lot of people give them crap but if you are just doing cardio and light weights it can't be beat for the price.
  • Arexxx
    Arexxx Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Gosh, I used to feel the same. I'd wait until everyone was out or asleep.

You could try working out in a room away from everyone, or while they are out. And go for brisk walks, you'll get no funny looks and it's good excersize. You'll regret quitting a year from now, so stay strong
  • Julicat6
    Julicat6 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    If your family isn't supportive, see if you have any friends from work who would be your support. I see you're a Nurse, so I would bet that you know someone who would be glad to be there when you need someone. I agree that is doing the videos when they are around makes you uncomfortable then walking might be a good option. Find something you like doing so much that you don't care who's looking..for me that is Zumba..and I have 2 left feet and no rhythm but love it so much that when I finish my workout, I'm already planning when I can go again. You can Friend me if you want a cheerleader on here:happy: :happy:
  • Sahara0815
    Options
    Don't listen to your family, listen to the GREAT advice here! You count, you are worth it, and you'll have the last laugh. Hang in there, you can do it. This is a great place for support!
  • hope8311
    hope8311 Posts: 166
    Options
    This seems the same thing I went through...No family support..Would get depressed and cave in...Been a week on mfp and past 2 days been difficult still learning....But I believe I can conquer this with friends from this site...So can you...After awhile the family gets to you....So keep in there you'll be great...
  • tuulikki30
    tuulikki30 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    what other people think of you, is none of your business....

Get on with it and do this for you, and no one else...
  • HopefulLeigh
    HopefulLeigh Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I feel ashamed when I work out to the point of not doing it if someone is in the house. I am 100+ over weight and I know I need to loose it but it's hard when I am the only one doing it. And I get looked at like there is a giant cow having a seizer in the house when im working out. So tired of going it alone. In only 15 days in and ready to quit.

Do not feel ashamed about doing something that is physically right for you. Working out is not something to be ashamed of.

No one is pretty when they work out, and if they are, they're probably doing it wrong. There's nothing wrong with looking like a giant cow having a seizure. If you do it enough, you'll look like a fairy princess having a seizure.

Don't quit. You're worth it.
  • buzzcockgirl
    buzzcockgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    My husband and my daughter mocked and dismissed my efforts for about the first month. Once my husband saw I was serious and didn't give a crap what he thinks, and he started seeing the results on my body, he started changing his tune. He went from mocking, to tolerating, to now supporting me. And my daughter tells me how proud she is. I think it freaks families out when you try to change yourself somehow, especially if you are in a huge "caregiver" role. It's like, "Oh no. Mom is taking care of HERSELF for once. OMG, maybe some attention will be taken away from US. And maybe the chips and cookies and nice homecooked meals will STOP! Let's panic." I don't know, that's my psychological analysis of it all. Lol.

^^ THIS ^^ Hang in there and don't let their rude comments/actions dissuade you! Take care of YOU, so you can be here to take care of THEM in the long run.