Mom jeans.

Options

Replies

• trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    I'm fanatical about pocket placement.

At the risk of sounding vain, I have a great tush. I work really hard at it. So if a pair of jeans makes that tush look bad... that's the jeans' fault and I will NOT buy them.

Even when I was chunky, I would not wear jeans that didn't flatter my rear. I don't have cleavage. Unless I'm in high heels and a short skirt, I have short legs. My *kitten* is all I got.

Yep, this is 150% me too. My butt is my best asset, it needs to remain well dressed.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    so what exactly classifies jeans as Mom Jeans? I never know/can tell. I need a jean shopper to come with me, I think.
  • talithag
    Options
    It honestly depends on body type. I have a smaller waist and large bottom and thighs. I cannot wear most jeans because to get them over my thighs, there are about 6 to 7 inches of extra stuff up at the waistband. Frustrating! Not everyone, REGARDLESS OF SIZE, is shaped like a pole. I am curvy, even when I was thin, my hips and thighs were bigger than my waist. Most of the modern style fit is "straight through hip and thighs"...says so on the label! Well, I am not straight through the hips and thighs!! Those jeans are NEVER going to fit me well...no matter what size I get to.

I have found that Target has jeans based on body type, and I have had the best luck with those. No, they are not trendy. No, they are not bedazzled or stitched in that everso popular bright thick stitching...but they are a good basic jean that FIT. MY. BODY. The washes they come in are fairly current. That is going to have to do.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I don't get it at all. I wear mom jeans. I like mom jeans. And for the life of me and I can't understand HOW they became unfashionable. I go to the mall and see the muffin tops and the awkward looking bodies and I don't understand WHY people like the jeans that are popular today.

Honestly, I thought the problem was the obesity epidemic. I thought girls had just gotten THAT lumpy and their figures had gotten THAT unnatural and it was a health problem. I thought that the reason the girls looked frumpy in their jeans was because of some really horrible changes in our country's food. I thought maybe hormones in foods caused young girls and women to have muffin tops and scrawny thighs and droopy butts and awkwardly large rolls of fat hovering on top of their waist bands.

And then I went shopping for jeans.

It isn't the girls/women. It is the pants! Hardly anyone can wear those low rise jeans with the button flap pockets and the too long, wide leg pants legs and not look weird.

High waist. Modest sized non-pocket-flapped pockets. Zippers that don't end right where the stomach bulge (if you have one) starts. Tapered legs.

This is what I want.

I agree that I hate jeans that stretch out after an hour. That part is right on. And the part about the way too big, wide spaced pockets, I'll go with that, too.

But I thought some of the jeans that the blogger declared horrible were the best looking.

I'm a national embarrassment, perhaps, but I want my stomach covered, even if it means a longer zipper. And I don't want details on my butt that call attention to the wrong angles.

I'm betting that in 20 years, if that blog post is still out there, people will read it and howl.

I agree; I had no idea that some jeans were considered “mom’s jeans. Absurd!

I don't like jeans or any kind of pants, shorts or skirts with a short zipper. I like my pants to seat right at MY natural waist, not at the waist that the brand name "thinks" is natural.

I don't wear jeans too often, not my style and I live in a very hot environment, but I did get this year 3 pairs (two in blue and one in black), of "Not Your Mother's Jeans," (not skinny jeans either). At a $ 100 bucks each, I really need to keep in shape for ever because I am not spending that kind of money in a pair of jeans in a long time (ok, husband paid for one pair). They fit nicely, give my rear end support, they make me look thinner, and they look nice with heels, specially the black pair.

Before that I was wearing Lee’s jeans, but now they look too big on me and I can’t find them in size 4. Are those also considered mom’s jeans too?”
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I go to the mall and see the muffin tops and the awkward looking bodies and I don't understand WHY people like the jeans that are popular today.

It is the pants! Hardly anyone can wear those low rise jeans with the button flap pockets and the too long, wide leg pants legs and not look weird.

High waist. Modest sized non-pocket-flapped pockets. Zippers that don't end right where the stomach bulge (if you have one) starts. Tapered legs.

This is what I want.

I agree that I hate jeans that stretch out after an hour.

I despise the muffin top look and can't stand jeans that are so low that sitting down becomes a flashing of ones undies. That's probably why the zippers are so tiny. I do have one pair that fits me nicely that's a higher end brand - Michael Kors - and they have a shorter zipper but he cut them to fit the butt and hips nicely. The legs are loose and comfortable (don't feel like they are glued to my body so I can't move).

The other issue is that manufacturers make the jeans bigger but they don't design them to fit curves so sometimes a pair looks nice if you're a size 8 but if you're above that...well...let's just say the cut isn't right and you're going to humiliate yourself every time you sit down. Some of the brands listed are just that...brands...and well...they don't always look right. To be honest, I think they sorta flattened her butt out and made her too skinny.

I don't mind some details on my pockets but I prefer my jeans plain and comfy. The majority of the time, those buttons and flaps always end up requiring ironing which is a pain in the butt (literally) and they never look nice except for when you first buy them. I guess I'm just not into the ornaments and buttons that press into you when you sit. Try driving down the highway for multiple hours with that button on your butt and tell me there isn't a problem. As to the size of the pockets - yep - they definitely need to make the pockets a bit smaller - she was right about those - you could fit a Humvee in them.

To me, I think she's mislabeled her blog. Those aren't Mom Jeans, they are ill fitting jeans. Mom's jeans were what you wore in the 80's and they tapered in and went way up high on the waist line. They had pleats and were fitted like trousers. The jeans I saw were just bad jeans...they weren't high enough in the waist to be a mom's jean.

P.S. On some people, at the waist jeans can look fabulous...I'm short wasted so they tend to look kinda funny on me. It's all in the fit.
  • runnermama81
    runnermama81 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I don't get it at all. I wear mom jeans. I like mom jeans. And for the life of me and I can't understand HOW they became unfashionable. I go to the mall and see the muffin tops and the awkward looking bodies and I don't understand WHY people like the jeans that are popular today.

Honestly, I thought the problem was the obesity epidemic. I thought girls had just gotten THAT lumpy and their figures had gotten THAT unnatural and it was a health problem. I thought that the reason the girls looked frumpy in their jeans was because of some really horrible changes in our country's food. I thought maybe hormones in foods caused young girls and women to have muffin tops and scrawny thighs and droopy butts and awkwardly large rolls of fat hovering on top of their waist bands.

It isn't the girls/women. It is the pants! Hardly anyone can wear those low rise jeans with the button flap pockets and the too long, wide leg pants legs and not look weird.

This is what I want.

I agree that I hate jeans that stretch out after an hour. That part is right on. And the part about the way too big, wide spaced pockets, I'll go with that, too.

But I thought some of the jeans that the blogger declared horrible were the best looking.

I'm a national embarrassment, perhaps, but I want my stomach covered, even if it means a longer zipper. And I don't want details on my butt that call attention to the wrong angles.

I'm betting that in 20 years, if that blog post is still out there, people will read it and howl.

I have to admit at first I thought this was a joke.
    In all seriousness though, there are women who just wear their jeans too stinkin tight and it does contribute to the "muffin top" look. I have always said though, wear workout clothes more often and jeans less often. That tends to help:)
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    It honestly depends on body type. I have a smaller waist and large bottom and thighs. I cannot wear most jeans because to get them over my thighs, there are about 6 to 7 inches of extra stuff up at the waistband. Frustrating!

I have the opposite problem! Skinny thighs and a big waist. Jeans that look awesome on my thighs are too tight on my stomach. Jeans that fit my waist allow me to fit an extra thigh into the leg of each jean.

As a result of that, I pretty much only wear skinny jeans. They somehow are cut differently and what fits my waist actually looks decent on my thighs. Since I wear flats or boots, not sneakers, it's not a big deal to have a skinny leg.
  • GreyEyes21
    GreyEyes21 Posts: 241 Member
    Options

This is what I want.

The thing is that 7 FAM jeans and the others in the article are name brand and 7 FAM spend alot of time trying to get jeans that fit everyone. not all name brand things are good but I know for a fact that those are good jeans that don't stretch or look bad. They lift your butt and make legs look AMAZING. I dont like short pants that show off thongs or body parts that should remain hidden but the ones in the article aren't your typical short/ low rise jeans you find everywhere. My mom and many older people are actually switching to those brands because they give support, fit comfy, and are overall wonderful.
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    After a csection, no matter how small I get - and I am back to my prepreg size now - the same cuts at my waist don't fit the same any more. I need a higher waisted jean or the way my belly goes down to my csection scar is just ugly fail. To compensate I wear longer shirts so you don't see the top of the jeans, because I don't really like how long waisted ones look - I just don't have much of a choice. I -am- careful how the pockets angle to make my butt look and I cannot for the life of my stand jeans that taper at my ankles - I look ridiculous in them. I prefer pants that have a little bit of a bell bottom look to them - I'm an exagerated hourglass figure and I don't look...oddly balanced otherwise.

I am hopeful that when I lose more wait the shelf the scar gives me goes down enough that I won't need the high waisted jeans, but for now, mom-jean or not, I don't really have a choice.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    omigosh that "stretched out in the dryer" shot was funny! :laugh:

I've managed to find some cute jeans from American Eagle and Guess that aren't mom jeans at all and fit my body perfectly. I'm fine with them. Can't wear Gap stuff - their pants are cut too curvy and I only have 4" difference between my waist and hips - and the only stuff I've bought at Old Navy is workout wear and swimwear. I don't like any of their other clothes.
  • bluelena
    bluelena Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Love the blog post. It came at the right time. I'm going to need new jeans soon!
  • Jes_ika
    Jes_ika Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I am so picky with my jeans I only buy them if my butt looks good!!
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time with jeans because my gut is so huge and legs and butt are tiny. Pocket NEVER fit my *kitten* like that, even skinny. I'll never have good jeans, nor do I want to spend 40+ dollars on a single pair of pants because I am a mom and my kids come before myself.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    nope not even when I was over weight I would never wear them and always stuck to fashion.
  • StinkyWinkies
    StinkyWinkies Posts: 603 Member
    Options

This is what I want.

^^this...I cannot stand "hip huggers" or as they are called now, "low rise," to me they are singularly unattractive (and were in the 70's too, fergoshsake) and it's not just jeans, it all sorts of pants.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I bought my current jeans before I had kids and they were nicely fitted, low rise ones from a shop in the UK called Oasis. 2 kids later and lots of gym time and they're now falling down on me and look a bit shapeless I guess, although I have a natural hourglass shape and you can still see that.

I can do up my old Levis, which really are form-fitting, and I can't wait until they fit again properly! They are definitely not mum jeans!
  • ryansgram
    ryansgram Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    After seeing this, i will pay more attention to how my butt looks in jeans. Wow, thanks for the post.
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    Oh this is too funny. Thanks for sharing.

As a fat woman with no style and no money...I am still very aware of avoiding mom jeans as much as possible.

Although I will add that most fat women's jeans for WHATEVER ungodly reason have teeny tiny pockets placed really high on the back of the Jean. And since I am one to run from Muffin Top it become very hard to find jeans that don't fit into MOM jeans category, that is why I hate it when winter comes around.
  • Drussander
    Drussander Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Very interesting link and study.

I don't know. What's worse? Someone wearing Mom Jeans or someone wearing Skinny Jeans that don't fit right? It's a very difficult philosophical question.

Some of those jeans pictured in the link were just badly cut jeans. Gap makes cheap sweatshop garbage. There is a difference between buying clothes that just fit and buying clothes that fit and look right on a body type.

Might as well also cover Jeggings and Yoga Pants and do a comprehensive pants thread, LOL.
  • Philllbis
    Philllbis Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Next Topic for the guys;

Jorts - Just say no!!!