Is 25 too old to be single?

Options

Replies

• katieb63
    katieb63 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Definitely not, I did not meet my husband until I was 30 and do understand that most of my friends were married or having children by then so I did feel the odd one out. I felt the pressure for a while until I just decided to enjoy life and let whatever would happen happen. I am so glad I did, now 20 years on we are still happy and I am married to my best friend and all those who rushed into marrying young because they thought they should be are now divorced!!

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy.
  • Bella_Italiana
    Options
    Don't rush into marriage... one should only get married when/if they feel that they are ready no matter how old they are...

I married when i was 23... and divorced at the age of 30! (YES, I left my husband and never looked back) Lots of people, mostly women would ask me... "aren't you scared to start over at 30"? but i looked at it as a new beginning... i was happy and excited to start all over again...

I am 34 years old now and single... i haven't had a relationship since my divorce, I went out on dates but nothing really came out of any of them... The only problem is when you older you are a lot more picky...

I am now trying internet dating but still am in no hurry... I like being alone and i enjoy my own company...

Good luck... :)
  • SashaMegan
    SashaMegan Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I just turned 25 in September and I feel like I should be in a relationship that is heading towards marriage by now. All of my friends that are 23-25 are either engaged or in a relationship and I feel like I'm behind socially....if that makes any sense. I got out of a relationship back in April and I feel like I'm still young and childish. But I like it.. I mean I'm pretty content with who I am and what I'm focusing on now (myself).

Part of it is esteem, you know, the whole overweight thing. But I see a lot of people here on MFP who I consider potential friends, but then I shy away from adding them or talking to them much because I find out they're married/have kids. Nothing against it at all but I see the posts and I feel less likely to form any kind of bond because we're at different stages, and that sort of thing isn't what I know and understand well.

I don't feel too lonely and don't have much interest in getting into a relationship right now, but I can't shake the feeling of being behind I guess.

There's nothing wrong with that! As long as you're not feeling lonely, do what you feel is the best for you! You don't feel the need for a relationship? Then don't rush! You can't force yourself anyway.

I'm 26, in a relationship, and I'm starting to have pressure from people in my family to get married, have kids and so on. But it's just NOT my/our time. When I feel everything is into place, then I will. Until then I'm just creating the best conditions for my future, including family life ;)
  • MonkeyxLover
    Options
    Who cares what other people are doing? Just concentrate on yourself and not worry about what other people are doing.
  • cpeters29
    Options
    dont put an age on when u should be married, if your happy single dont rush anything it will happen when u least expect it
  • Bex2Bslim
    Bex2Bslim Posts: 1,092
    Options
    It can't be as I'm 32 and single :)
  • RoughDiamondUK
    RoughDiamondUK Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I'm over 10 years older than you and have never been in a relationship. Do what's right for you, not for anyone else.
  • Kairunz
    Kairunz Posts: 51
    Options
    There is no right or wrong:) Get to know and be happy with yourself:)

On a side not I met my wife when I was 19 and she was 16 and we were together for 4 years before we got married and have been happily married for 8 years we have 1 lovely girl and another on the way:) My parents have been married for 37 years and got married when my mum was 17. My wifes parents have been married for 36 years and were in their 20's when they got married.

The reason I say this is because their have been alot of comments about you should wait till you are over 30 to get married otherwise you probably get divorced but as long as you grow together and work at it everyday and make the decsion to wake up and love that person it doesnt matter what age you are when you get married.
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    I certainly hope not!
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    No.
    My daughter is 28, and has been in a couple of serious relationships, which thankfully, did not end up in marriage. She has a lot of friends who are single, a lot who are in relationships, and a few that are married. All of whom are in her age group.
    Do what is right for you. Hopefully marriage is a long time commitment, with the right person. Enjoy your youth. Marriage and children that may be in your future are a huge responsibility, one that will last for the rest of your life.
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    At 25 you should be travelling, seeing the world, figuring out your career or finishing your education! People getting married too early is partly to blame for why there's so much divorce and dissatisfaction...
  • LauraJane74
    Options
    Ugh, I hope not. I'm 25 and I've never been in a serious relationship. I've had casual things here and there but I just haven't felt ready to settle down.
  • dawson55510
    dawson55510 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Enjoy yourself while your young and single
  • ferrytrip
    ferrytrip Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    At 25 you should be travelling, seeing the world, figuring out your career or finishing your education! People getting married too early is partly to blame for why there's so much divorce and dissatisfaction...

I agree, married at 21 - Divorced by 43. Live your life for a bit.
  • joyzeejay
    joyzeejay Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not!!! I'm 43 and never been married. I'd like to be...one day, but I'm okay if I don't. A couple of things: 1) All the guys I've dated...and I've dated quite a few, I look back and I say, "Thank GOD!! We never got married!" Hindsight and time can show you so many things. 2) Statistically, divorce is MUCH more likely the younger you marry and staying together increases substantially the older the person is and the more education...go get more education!!! And live your life!!! 3) If I would've married, I never would've done all the things I've done that being single (and childless, at the time) made so much easier to do: I've lived in an ashram in India for two years, vacationed on a secluded island in Malaysia, meandered through the Himalayas, hung out in Singapore, studied German in Germany, sat on a mock Security Council in Moscow, gotten a Masters from Harvard, written two books, went to Six Flags on a whim, and sooo sooo many more things. If I had been married, I'm pretty sure I never would've done all these things. My sage advice: LIVE YOUR LIFE AND LIVE IT HARD while you have the chance!! The mate will come...in time, hopefully later rather than sooner :)
  • Emagali74
    Emagali74 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    im 37 in a few weeks.

Stop worrying.

I was married and divorced by 30. Sometimes wisdom comes with age. Sometimes you dont meet the right person in your 20s. sometimes it takes longer.

I read something somewhere which I always think of now...... If you are looking for the love of your life then stop. They will be there waiting for you when you start doing the things you love.

I believe that to be true. :0) xxxx
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    Options
    i am 25 and have been married for a little over a year, but i know so many people who got married around the same time as me and are already divorced or separated or having major problems. that would be much worse than being single, i think. when it's right, you will know. u can't rush it, u have to wait until you are happy. my husband and i started dating when i was 17 and he was 19, but we waited over 7 years before we got married (we did live together though) it's not a race, it's your life
  • Rumpenissen
    Rumpenissen Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    25 is too young to be attached! Enjoy your 20s. :-)
  • MiSo_SeXy
    MiSo_SeXy Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Hell no! Go out, meet as many new ppl as you can. Find new hobbies,
    Date.. Alot lol, find out what you like before you decide to settle down
    do all the things you wanna do or get done before you decide to get married and have kids.
    I hear its alot harder after you "grow up".

I know i'm not ready lol
  • orangesmartie
    orangesmartie Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Hell no! 25 is the perfect age to be single. Explore the world, explore yourself, there's lots about you that you don't yet know.

I've just turned 30 (yesterday) and I'm sort of single. I've been engaged once, we planned the wedding but I knew in my heart we'd never get married. My ex is now on his third wife, so I definitely had a lucky escape.

I've been single (by choice) for 10 years. I don't intend to get married. If there came someone i wanted to share that with, I'd consider it but its not an automatic assumption.

I currently have a relationship which gives me a lot of space to be me, do the things I love, and still be an independent person, but also gives me the opportunity to do other things with people I love. It is unlikely that this relationship will ever become formal. Hell we're unlikely to even live together!