High protein breakfast?

Options

Replies

• GreyEyes21
    GreyEyes21 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    1 egg yolk has the amount of cholesterol to fill 5 days worth. So I agree with only whites, because even if I ate the yolk the whole time and lost all of the weight I could still die of a heart attack very easily with the yolks.

- Cottage Cheese
    - Peanut butter (with something)
    - Add plain protein powder to something solid like veggies
    - Do 2 shakes a day? I do 3 and add solids.
    - Chicken or fish. Some people like breakfast in the evening so why not swap it.

P.S. Go to a whole foods store to find gluten free protein cereal
  • flutternfly
    Options
    My other alternative high protein breakfast options are Greek Yogurt (I like Fage best) with 1/2 c berries (I like raspberry best) and 2 Tbsp of Toasted Slivered Almonds

or Protein Shake with berries. I like Forza Chocolate that has 30g of protein, with 1 c almond milk, 1/2 c raspberries and 1 tsp Carlson Fish Oil.

I make omlettes with my eggs and put spinach, asparagus, kale, broccoli, tomato, canadian bacon, mini peppers, whatever sounds good to make my eggs different every time. I only have time to eat the omelettes on the weekends.
  • Shadowsan
    Shadowsan Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Plain greek yogurt. Load up on fruit.

Btw, she eats egg whites because it has a great protein to calorie ratio. Nice protein, low calories and fat.

And I guess I'm saying eggs don't have that many calories to begin with and the whole egg has so much more nutritional value that eggs whites are akin to throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Also, fat doesn't make you fat. I thinks it's a wasted to eat just the whites and throw away the part of the egg with the most nutritional value.

I only eat egg whites because I have high cholesterol and the whole egg has alot of cholesterol in it.

The whole 'cholesterol' thing has been done - trust me. The cholesterol in eggs is the least of your concerns and research has proven that it's not the cholesterol in eggs that causes high blood cholesterol. It's saturated fats that your liver converts into cholesterol.
  • emdeegan
    emdeegan Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    a few ideas:

1.) two chicken sausages with wilted spinach and fresh tomato slices
    2.) 2oz ham, cheese, high fiber/low cal english muffin sandwich
    3.)overnight oatmeal (you take greek yogurt, berries and old fashioned oatmeal..mix it together and place in the fridge before going to bed.. and its delicious the next morning)
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I don't eat whole eggs, because I dont want to lol I'm not a huge fan of the yellow. The white is pure protein. Point is: I'm tired of eggs :) So I dont want ANY eggs lol
    OH! And I can't have gluten, so any bread product is pretty much out :(

Wife: Have you got anything without spam?
    Waitress: Well, there's spam egg sausage and spam, that's not got much spam in it.
    Wife: I don't want ANY spam!

Sorry, I know it's irrelevant, but you reminded me of the Monty Python spam sketch. :D
  • T34418l3angel
    T34418l3angel Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Basically any meat. Spice it up with some pico de gayo or mango salsa. I like doing this with Italian sausage or chicken breasts. Or maybe even a breakfast pizza with a cauliflower crust (really easy to make and tastes good) just add your favorite toppings :)
  • Shadowsan
    Options
    As for high protein options (note that we're not talking calorie content - and fats are just as important here as protein):

Cheeses (non-processed preferrably)
    Yogurts
    Eggs
    Meat
    Mushrooms (yes they are a good source of protein)

If you want a really nice tasting breakfast...

Slice of wholemeal toast with bacon, black pudding, and a poached egg on top. Serve with a healthy portion of beans.

Beans and grains together make a complete protein source (yes, beans on toast)
    Eggs = protein
    bacon = protein
    black pudding = protein

Obviously if you don't like black pudding, remove as necessary.
  • Shadowsan
    Options
    Oh - and if you like chicken...

Take chicken breast (raw or thawed) - take mallet. Beat it to within an inch of its life or until it's really flat.

Grill one side, then the other, then top with whatever tasty toppings you like and grill once more.

Uber chicken parmo.
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I eat high protein, low carb breakfasts every day. Feel free to add me if you like. My diary is open and I always like to see other peoples diaries for food ideas.

A few suggestions:

I add egg whites to my protein shakes.
    I had steak for breakfast twice last week.
    Turkey bacon is a good addition, but I try to keep my sodium down, so that is a treat just now and then.
    I have made a flax meal type cereal with egg whites, salt free cottage cheese and pumpkin ( and cinnamon).
    Cottage cheese plus tuna with some mrs dash.
  • purebells
    purebells Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I know you said no eggs but these Turkey Egg White Cups are amazing!!

http://sophieguidolin.com.au/recipes/turkey-egg-white-cups/
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    a few ideas:

1.) two chicken sausages with wilted spinach and fresh tomato slices
    2.) 2oz ham, cheese, high fiber/low cal english muffin sandwich
    3.)overnight oatmeal (you take greek yogurt, berries and old fashioned oatmeal..mix it together and place in the fridge before going to bed.. and its delicious the next morning)

Chicken sausage sounds interesting, but is it processed? And does taste anything like pork sausage (I don't like tht).
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I don't eat whole eggs, because I dont want to lol I'm not a huge fan of the yellow. The white is pure protein. Point is: I'm tired of eggs :) So I dont want ANY eggs lol

Waitress: Well, there's spam egg sausage and spam, that's not got much spam in it.

Sorry, I know it's irrelevant, but you reminded me of the Monty Python spam sketch. :D

LOL Probably because I said I was tired of eggs in the original post & yet people still keep bringing them up :|
  • KS_4691
    KS_4691 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Going back to the link I posted earlier, I made this yesterday and I'm going to eat it throughout the week:

PALEO TEX-MEX BREAKFAST CASSEROLE

Ingredients
    • 1lb Grass fed Ground Beef
    • 2 sweet potatoes, shredded
    • 1 small yellow onion, diced
    • 6 eggs, whisked
    • 2 garlic cloves, minced
    • 1 tablespoon bacon fat (or other fat)
    • 1 (14oz) can of El Pato Enchilada Sauce or homemade
    • 1 teaspoon chili powder
    • 1/2 teaspoon cumin
    • 1/2 teaspoon oregano
    • salt and pepper, to taste

Instructions
    1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
    2. Pull out a large skillet or oven proof cooking dish. (aka cast iron skillet, etc)
    3. Place skillet over medium heat, add a tablespoon of fat then add your minced garlic and diced onion.
    4. When onion just begins to soften, add your ground beef and use a spoon or spatula to break it up and combine with onion.
    5. Now use your shredding attachment on your food processor to shred you sweet potatoes. If you don’t have a food processor, just use a grater then go to the store and buy a food processor for next time. Life will be better with one.
    6. When your meat is almost cook through, add all your spices to the meat and onions and mix to combine the flavors.
    7. Now pour your shredded sweet potatoes on top of the meat and pat down then add your enchilada sauce on top.
    8. Cover and let simmer for around 8-10 minutes.
    9. Once sweet potato begins to soften, remove from heat, add your whisked eggs and stir to combine it all together.
    10. Place in oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until eggs are cooked through.

from www.paleOMG.com <---great website, and everything is paleo (aka high protein and gluten free--just what you're looking for!)
  • Nutrition1975
    Options
    I drink a Shakeology shake in the morning for breakfast - it is fast and easy and it has 16grm of protein.
  • aynhagenbarth
    aynhagenbarth Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I love to eat cottage cheese for breakfast.

the morning star "sausage patty's" are pretty good

dashingdish.com banana protein muffins are made with oat flour so they are gluten free and made with protein powder and greek yogurt so they have a nice amount of protein in them. you can just google search "dashing dish banana protein muffins"

I'm a big fan of the egg whites for breakfast too. I usually eat one yoke and add extra egg whites because 3 eggs is 240 calories and that is too much for me to start my day. Everyone is different. If you like yokes great, if you just want whites, who cares. Be supportive.
  • ClairBears84
    ClairBears84 Posts: 531 Member
    Options

hahahahahaha! Love monty Python!
  • LindseySprake
    LindseySprake Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Protein Pancake. I make one of these every morning, I like it because its filling, high in protein and fiber and you can variy it as much as you like so it never gets boring. Or just to use what ever you have in the cupboards.

This is the basic recipe below:

Ingredients
    Egg - Egg, 1 Whole Egg
    Generic - Banana Large, 0.5 banana
    Spices - Cinnamon, ground, 1 tbsp 18
    Fry Light - Extra Virgin Olive Oil Spray, 8 sprays 10" pan (4 for each side of the pancake)
    Holland & Barrett - Psyllium Husks, 2 capsules (optional for added fiber)
    Seeds - Sunflower Seeds, 1 tbsp
    Seeds - Golden Linseed, 1 tbsp
    Whey Protein - Vanilla, 30 g, 1 Scoop

Calories: 345
    Protein: 31
    Fiber: 9
    Fat: 13
    Carbs: 30
    Sodium: 77

Blend all the ingredients together and cook on a low heat on both sides until done.

I usually top with the other half of banana and a squeeze of lemon juice but you can add any topping you like; other fruits/seeds/yougart/honey/nutella etc etc ...

I sometime substite the banana for fresh blueberries or strawberries when they're in season, and they give a fun colour to the mixture :-)
  • Bianca1972
    Bianca1972 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    The yolk has all the cholesterol in it. If you have cardiovascular disease, diabetes or a high low-density lipoprotein (LDL, or "bad") blood cholesterol level, you should limit your dietary cholesterol to less than 200 mg a day.
    One large egg has about 186 mg of cholesterol — all of which is found in the yolk. Therefore, if you eat an egg on a given day, it's important to limit other sources of cholesterol for the rest of that day. Consider substituting servings of vegetables for servings of meat, or avoid high-fat dairy products for that day.

If you like eggs but don't want the extra cholesterol, use only the egg whites. Egg whites contain no cholesterol. You may also use cholesterol-free egg substitutes, which are made with egg whites.

I just wanted to jump in and say that THIS is the reason I don't eat egg yolks 90% of the time. Cholesterol issues run in my dad's family so for the last few years I've limited my egg yolk intake -- just make egg white breakfast sandwiches & it's just as good (to me) as with the yolk.

For the original poster -- I'm in the same boat and have asked friends for ideas and steel cut oats was a very popular answer I received.

So, I'm gonna give that a try with a low carb or a greek yogurt on the side.

Good luck! :o)
  • dougt333
    dougt333 Posts: 697
    Options
    Steak, turkey meat i the form of sausage, bacon, whatever. Oatmeal with peanut butter in it.
  • gsbanks1
    gsbanks1 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Greek Yogurt, Nuts, Cottage Cheese or Protein Shakes.