Dog lovers...what breed of dog(s) do you have?

Options

Replies

• cmcorn26
    cmcorn26 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    kiddosleepininthevanwiththedog-1.jpg

cool photo
  • Steve_Runs
    Steve_Runs Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I bred Akitas for years as well.
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    French Bulldog
  • rebelontherun
    rebelontherun Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I have 3 dogs. I have a 12 year old shiba inu/akita boxer mix (my mom has him though) then I have a 3 year old pointer/queensland heeler and a 3 year old beagle. I love to walk them or take them to the park to run around but they're not very good on the leash so I've been trying ot train them separately. Now that it's getting a lot colder it's a little harder to get me to want to be outside but I'm still gonna try for them :) I also rescued my beagle :)
  • SunnyAndrsn
    SunnyAndrsn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I have a lab/rottweiler mix (see profile picture) and a German shepard/akita mix. My lab/rotty mix is almost 9, and won't jog outside, LOL. He will walk with me, but he won't jog. He just hates it and will stop and sit. He's also getting a little old for long walks so we just take him around the block now. We do have a very large back yard, so exercise is not a problem for them. If I could let him off the leash and throw treats, he'd run all day long.

My shepard/akita mix is 12 1/2 years old, and we're getting closer to Rainbow Bridge :-( He hasn't been able to do long walks in several years. He also gets very jealous if we take the lab/rotty. Late in August, he had his very last walk, as his hind legs gave out towards the end. It was about 1/2 mile walk. I really thought that was his last day with us, but he recovered.

The G-shep is on Rimadyl, and we watch him carefully for signs of uncontrolled pain. So far, so good...we can also up his dose of Rimadyl if we need to, but he has GI upset if we do a regular 2x/day dosing. It's full on geriatric palliative doggy care mode in this house. Vitamin sauce, kongs of nutritional supplements instead of tennis ball chasing, lots of brushing, and we help him up on the bed so he has a soft place to cushion his old bones. He loves the brushing and puppy massages.

Yeah, I'm the crazy dog lady.
  • cecilie313
    Options
    I have an Ibizan hound (wired). I hike at least 3 miles a day with him, and he still needs more, but I have two kids and a job, so I don't have time for more hiking :-)
  • rhvandan
    rhvandan Posts: 185
    Options
    We have a 5 year old one-eyed Boston Terrier named Bandit. He's a good dog. He was abused by his previous owners (shelter dog) and lost his eye either to abuse or in a fight. He is a sweetheart, but he has issues.. We're working with him and he's becoming less and less afraid as time goes on. He's GREAT with my kids, and seems to do ok with other dogs.. and he wants to play with all of the neighborhood cats (they are less enthused, imagine that).. just have to keep giving him love love and doggy chow.

In the past we had an English Bully Wally (My FAVORITE breed and he was wonderful), we had a Boxer Max (the sweetest dog I have ever owned.. I miss the heck out of him), a Boxer/German Shepherd mix Sofie who was an idiot. I'm sorry but I will NEVER own a Shepherd again. Ugh. She ate EVERYTHING, glass, flower bulbs, toy soldiers... I dont miss her, sorry to say... I grew up with an Olde English Sheepdog Maggie who was dumb as a box of rocks but so loyal and sweet. She died when I was 12.

I've also owned rats and hamsters in the past. Hamsters are useless. Rats were GREAT pets. My 3 little mischief makers.. RIP Speedy, Plato, and Merlin!
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I have a 3 yr old Shih Tzu Marley!!! She is the Princess of my house and I love her to death!!!!!! She doesnt require a lot of exercise so I throw the frisbee in the backyard a few times and she loves it. Not exercise for me though.
  • Etiqueta
    Etiqueta Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Sandy's a Lab mix, not entirely sure what with, but my guess is one other breed is Husky.
  • Ashleighkitty
    Ashleighkitty Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have a Staffordshire Bull Terrier, his name is Rocky, but he answers to Bizzle :P and he is the cutest, little teddy, ever. Haha love him! :) x
  • madamecj82
    madamecj82 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I have a 2.5 year old jack russell mix. He's rather unique with some of his habits, but I love that little booger! Next month will be a year that I've had him (shelter rescue). I do walk him about 2 - 3 times a week and he loves it.
  • margojr4
    margojr4 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    We have a Siberian named Kita. She gets daily 2+ mile trots with either myself or the hubs. I do not log the exercise as its just a part of my daily activity level ;)
  • ccburn5
    ccburn5 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Beagle Bassett mix named Henry. Best dog I have ever been around!
  • Defren
    Defren Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I have three, two Westhighland terriers a boy and a girl, and a Yorkshire terrier male. They are my fluffy babies and I love 'em to death.
  • mamafish2313
    Options
    English Mastiff- Bosco but he answers to "B" and "b-ho" -he is my big 'ol baby and Duke who is a quarter of each of these: beagle, pit, chihuahua, and jack terrier. He's my running mate.
  • 24kmparks
    24kmparks Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Australian Shepherd over here :) "Tyler" is turning two October 26th. Time flies! He's a good running buddy, but I never do it on a leash that way he can tell me when he's tired. He's so stinkin' smart! Such a great breed :)
  • Darcyw4
    Darcyw4 Posts: 44
    Options
    I have two pug mxes (pug/cocker spaniel) who are blood brother and sister - Ellie and Rocco (7 yrs old)
    Leo who is a shih-tzu/poodile (6 yrs old in may)
    Max chihuahua/shiba-inu mix (5 years old)
    Molly Shih-tzu/terrir (4 years old)
    Monte chihuahua/min pin (age unknown- humane society from where we adopted him thinks he is around 8 or so)

Oh, and I have walked all 6 of them before with a friend of mine who takes her two dogs along so we each have 4 to walk. We get some strange looks. :) I also love all 6 of them like children and I have their names tattooed on my leg. Dog crazy?? Yes, I think I am! HA!
  • BeautifullyHuman123
    Options
    Everyday my two rescues bring complete joy to my life: 11 yr old Chocolate Longhair Fawn Chihuahua named Hershey, and 8yr old miniature Pincher named Twix. They're complete opposites of each other...he likes to snuggle, while she likes her space. Fav part of the day.....coming home from work, breaking out the Pupperonis treats to see them both dance :)))
  • Darcyw4
    Darcyw4 Posts: 44
    Options
    <3 this.
  • BFlowers2
    Options
    I have a Scottish Terrier, just turned 6, named Maxwell. He loves going for walks. Though he tends to walk me more than I walk him