HCG Diet- thoughts, opinions?

Options

Replies

• ttknowles01
    ttknowles01 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    If that pregnancy hormone worked the way it's 'supposed' to, you wouldn't need to cut your calories to 500 a day to lose weight.

It's a scam.

I had a friend who went on the HCG diet. She gained all the weight back once she stopped taking the hormone.

Don't look for a fix that you will be dependent on for life. Instead try the good old fashioned eat only what you need and move more diet. It will work and you can sustain it forever. :)

^^^^ this....I know a couple of people who did this diet, and gained it all back plus a little more. And they seemed to gain the majority of the weight back in their stomach areas
  • nw00778
    nw00778 Posts: 22
    Options
    I wish we could have intelligent discussions on here without people getting all jumpy. I am interested in all points of view but not if people are going to assume they know everything about everything or post articles from unreliable websites. It is not for everybody just as some eating habits and exercises don't have the same effects on everyone. Anyway, I hope everyone finds their niche in making it to their goal :0)
  • PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    Old-Amazing.jpg
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    In before the lock.

Seriously though... dumb idea. And this thread will get locked since there is a group for HCG dieters and MFP does not promote fad diets (see forum guidelines).

You're really pretty
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Save your money and starve yourself on 500 calories a day all by yourself.
    Then when you gain your weight back, try the next fad diet and see how that one works.

You are really pretty too.
  • IUSE2BAHEAVYHITTER
    IUSE2BAHEAVYHITTER Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I was on this diet for 3 months under Doctor supervision and I can tell you from experience. It works for losing the weight quickly but doesn't keep it off. It is very restrictive and doesn't teach you good eating habits. It was a total waste of the $1500 I spent on it. IF I spent the same amount of money doing the HCG diet on fruit and veges and beans and ate all I wanted then I would have lost the same amount of weight and kept it off. If you are that desperate to try HCG then I would recommend Eat For Life diet and try that first.
  • Coming4U
    Coming4U Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    You don't truly know any long term side effects for it in the future. I personally feel its another "quick fix" We didnt get fat overnight we wont get healthy overnight. It does not teach you how to eat right, work out and be healthy....only how to get thin fast. So when its over...you still will not have learned how to change your life in a new direction.
  • GretchenReine
    GretchenReine Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options
    Yayyyy another thread on the HCG diet! Always entertaining!!!
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I wish we could have intelligent discussions on here without people getting all jumpy.

See, the problem with this quote is there are no intelligent discussions to be had on HCG.

I've got some of Liz's pee for sale, by the way. It's Florida pee, and not Texas pee, but it's still good. PM me if interested.
  • grkfire
    grkfire Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    My wife & I both did it and it worked for us and we haven't gained the weight back. There is a difference between pharmaceutical grade HCG and the stuff you buy online or the "drops". Our Dr. told us that unfortunately, other docs "prescribe" the fake stuff & over charge for low quality HCG which gives it a bad name.

We never paid over $100 for the entire duration and I've lost well over 40lbs while on it and now that I've been off of it, I've just maintained a healthy diet and have lost an additional 20lbs just eating right & working out.

I believe those that gain it back just take the HCG as a quick fix. And go back to their old eating habits. Take it from me, it works, but make sure you are supervised by a doctor & don't just order the stuff online.
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    My (old and recently replaced by my choice) endocrinologist kept pushing this diet on me hard. Told me to research the benefits. I did and there is NOTHING that proves anything but the 500 cal per day limitation is what causes the loss. Have a friend that did it and gained the weight back right away. An since there is nothing that proves that adding the hormone to your body does any good, why not just drop to a 500 calorie per day diet and save yourself the cost of the unneccessary drug.

Oh and I found out by my new endo that doctors across the nation were given this HCG to experiment with for weightloss...

Experiment with.... funny, my first endo nmever told me a word about it being an experimental drug....
  • LilLolo22
    LilLolo22 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I tried it several years ago and believe me, it really isn't worth it. It's expensive and you will not feel good. 500 calories a day was barely enough to keep my upright at work. I stayed with it for a few months, lost about 20 lbs and then gained it back once I tried to start eating normal again. PLUS, it took a long while to get my body accustomed to eating properly again. My body just kept holding on to the weight. I say, eat balanced, work out consistently and eventually you'll see something happen. I'm sure if you do it that way then the weight you lose you won't find again. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • nw00778
    nw00778 Posts: 22
    Options
    If my OBGYN suggested it, gave it to me, and is supervising me then why do a bunch of people who do not know me think they have PHDs all of the sudden lol. There is a 3 week phase after the drops you HAVE to do to introduce carbs and sugars back in your diet. If you don't follow it, it is all for nothing. Did everyone else who did HCG do the 3rd phase?
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I wish we could have intelligent discussions on here without people getting all jumpy.

See, the problem with this quote is there are no intelligent discussions to be had on HCG.

I've got some of Liz's pee for sale, by the way. It's Florida pee, and not Texas pee, but it's still good. PM me if interested.

I personally like pee from the Champagne region. Can you supply me?
  • Kaiukas
    Kaiukas Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I personally don't feel any animosity towards people who do it. It is their body and their money. If they experience benefit, it is not my place to invalidate their experience.

What baffles me is the lack of ethics and the degree of greed of the medical professionals who participate in facilitating this scam.
  • kmk888
    kmk888 Posts: 2
    Options
    Opinions aside, I think one important fact to consider is that HCG is a fertility treatment. Although the dosage is not as high as the dosage used for fertility treatments, it still increases your chances of getting pregnant (regardless of birth control method used). Another important consideration is your source of diet/nutrition advice. Second, I would trust a dietitian's opinion on this matter over a doctor, nurse practitioner, etc. Nutrition and diets are their specialty, and unless your doctor or np has an active certification in nutrition, my advice I would be to get a second opinion (always a wise decision when making any diet/medical decisions). Good luck!
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Save your money and starve yourself on 500 calories a day all by yourself.
    Then when you gain your weight back, try the next fad diet and see how that one works.

You are really pretty too.
    I really like your hair.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it, but I really think you will enjoy more success long-term if you change your eating and exercise habits in a more natural way. It's really frustrating to go on a specific diet and lose all the weight, then gain it all back when the diet ends. I've done that 4 times in my life so far.
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    In_before_the_lock_by_dantiscus.gif
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    In_before_the_lock.jpg \m/
This discussion has been closed.