• grkfire
    grkfire Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    In_before_the_lock_by_dantiscus.gif

LOL!!!
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Last time my HCG levels were checked, I had 124,000 mIU/ml. $100 per cup! Don't let it go to waste!

On a more serious note, there have been dozens of scientific and medical studies done on HCG all showing that it DOES NOT WORK and is a scam. The weight loss comes from the restrictive VLCD (very low calorie diet) that patients are told to stick to, not the HCG injections, drops, etc.

Several of those studies are cited here: http://www.dietscam.org/reports/hcg.shtml and more can be found my browsing PubMed.com for peer-reviewed scientific and medical information.

Also, those of you who are taking HCG should note that the FDA has banned over-the-counter sales of HCG, so whatever drops you are taking, it's not real HCG unless you purchased it illegally and smuggled it into the US yourself. HCG injections are also not FDA-approved for obesity or weight management, and the FDA released this statement about it:

"These weight reduction treatments include the injection of HcG, a drug which has not been approved by the Food and Drug Administration as safe and effective in the treatment of obesity or weight control. There is no substantial evidence that HcG increases weight loss beyond that resulting from caloric restriction, that it causes a more attractive or "normal" distribution of fat, or that it decreases the hunger and discomfort associated with calorie-restrictive diets."

Furthermore, a meta-analysis was done by the American Society of Bariatric Physicians which stated the following:

"There is no scientific evidence that HCG is effective in the treatment of obesity. The meta-analysis found insufficient evidence supporting the claims that HCG is effective in altering fat-distribution, hunger reduction or in inducing a feeling of well-being. The authors stated “…the use of HCG should be regarded as an inappropriate therapy for weight reduction…” In the authors opinion, “Pharmacists and physicians should be alert on the use of HCG for Simeons therapy. The results of this meta-analysis support a firm standpoint against this improper indication. Restraints on physicians practicing this therapy can be based on our findings.”"
  • Cbarrese86
    Options
    I've been doing HCG and got it from a very well respected doctor in the state i live in. I have friends who have done it and kept all the weight off. I never go to bed hungry, in fact i have to force myself to eat all the food. I've lost 30 lbs, its not from low cal its from HCG...I needed it to get a kick start on weight loss. There is a phase after you finish the drops that most people dont follow, thats why they gain it back.

^^^THIS^^^^^

I'm on the HCG diet, and have lost 20lbs. My mom was on it and lost 40lbs and kept it off through maintenance. I'm on week 4, and will continue it until the end of phase 4. It's working for me.
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I've only heard one health fanatic (money hungry) chiropractor tell me to do this diet. I've never heard any real doctor recommend this. I would think you would lose the weight... but, then when you stop it, you'd gain it all back. The best way is to do it by counting calories (no less than 1200 a day) and exercising. You need the nutrients from the right kinds of food to give your body energy. HCG just does not do that.
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    You know what stimulates HCG production? Pregnancy.

So, just get knocked up so you can drop all the fat like we pregnant chicks do during our pregnancy...

oh wait....

ROTFLMAO!!!!
    You just made my day with this!
  • nw00778
    nw00778 Posts: 22
    Options
    Im doing releana right now, which is like HCG. I am about done, what work out did yall do? What was your diet like after?
  • VelociMama
    Options
    I wish we could have intelligent discussions on here without people getting all jumpy.

See, the problem with this quote is there are no intelligent discussions to be had on HCG.

I've got some of Liz's pee for sale, by the way. It's Florida pee, and not Texas pee, but it's still good. PM me if interested.

Dammit Patti! I told you not to resale! I gotta make the $$ for this baby!
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I have had two people very close to be do it... one had a good experience and one had a bad experience (in my opinion, I'm sure he wouldn't say so).

Person 1 - She was what I would call thin anyway, but just wanted to lose that last 5 lbs did HCG to do it... and kept those 5 lbs off. She already had good eating habits and exercise habits developed, so it was just that extra push she needed.

Person 2 - He was 280 lbs, ate whatever he wanted, as much as he wanted, never worked out. He started taking HCG, working out, and eating the 500 calories a day.... and of course, lost weight. He lost 110 lbs and got down to 170. Then he stopped, and went back to his old habits... and gained about 60 lbs back. He went on HCG again... got back down to 180. Went back to eating his old ways, again, back to 230, HCG, 180, old habits, 230, HCG, 180..... You get the picture. This cycle has been going on for 3 years. That is NOT good for your body. So my problem with HCG is that it doesn't teach you how to eat right and take care of your body. IF you CAN do that, then it's your choice to do it or not... but this yo-yoing thing my friend does is quite possibly the worst thing ever for you.
  • VelociMama
    Options
    I wish we could have intelligent discussions on here without people getting all jumpy.

See, the problem with this quote is there are no intelligent discussions to be had on HCG.

I've got some of Liz's pee for sale, by the way. It's Florida pee, and not Texas pee, but it's still good. PM me if interested.

I personally like pee from the Champagne region. Can you supply me?

I can go to Champagne and pee if that counts...
  • cherylfromboji
    cherylfromboji Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have to admit...that's what I did to get my diet a jumpstart - lost 20..and have kept if off eating healthy and working out!!!!
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    It works = anytime someone's eating 500 calories per day they're going to lose weight.

No?

You didn't see any fat people in concentration camps, did you? You don't see anorexics gaining and/or maintaining a bunch of fat, do you?

The energy balance equation always wins out.

I don't care what people choose to do. I'm well beyond that. If people want to spend money doing this diet... go for it. Just know that the calories and placebo effect are going to be the biggest drivers of your success. I'd argue the only drivers, but I'm always open to more scientific review. The reviews thus far aren't promising much as far as hcg administration goes.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Save your money and starve yourself on 500 calories a day all by yourself.
    Then when you gain your weight back, try the next fad diet and see how that one works.

You are really pretty too.
    I really like your hair.

Thank you. Yours is nice too.....Does it smell good?
  • nw00778
    nw00778 Posts: 22
    Options
    It works = anytime someone's eating 500 calories per day they're going to lose weight.

No?

You didn't see any fat people in concentration camps, did you? You don't see anorexics gaining and/or maintaining a bunch of fat, do you?

The energy balance equation always wins out.

Have you done HCG?
  • kfitzpa
    kfitzpa Posts: 326
    Options
    I work in an ER, I've seen patients come in vomitting their brains out... go to find out they're on the HCG diet. SKIP IT
  • T_Marie4
    T_Marie4 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    While I have no personal experience with HCG, I work with several people who have done it - most were successful, BUT they all gained it back when they stopped. Honestly I was ready to jump on the HCG bandwagon myself until I learned the calories you were limited to, plus I watched as they all starting gaining it back. Sure it's a 'quick fix" but if you aren't learning to eat a healthy, balanced, normal calorie meal, then what's the point in the long run? I'm just skeptical that eating 500 cals a day for a month or two will automatically change anyones eating habits when the HCG is gone - which is why all the ladies I work with put every pound they lost back on when they stopped using it and starting eating normally again. Personally, and just my opinion, you're better off learning to eat food in moderation the healthy way, making healthier choices, and exercise doing what and when you can along the way which all = losing weight at a normal pace that typically means for the long-term - not b/c of some fad diet, but b/c you took the time to commit to yourself to be healthy and to make better choices as a new lifestyle. Also, HCG doesn't do anything for muscle, and most people know muscle burns fat, PLUS exercise is important to your body as a whole system, not just for weight loss. Best of luck to you!
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Dear Posters,

MyFitnessPal strongly recommends that our users follow the calorie guidelines automatically assigned by our site, unless they are under the direct supervision of a doctor. We are currently reviewing the medical literature on the HCG/500 calorie diet and reserve the right to moderate against discussions of this diet at any time in the future.

Thank you all for your concern. We're definitely looking closely at this issue.

CatCrazy
    MyFitnessPal Forum Moderator
This discussion has been closed.