WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2012

Options

Replies

• kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Hello Dear Ladies!

JB: You are so talented! And your poem speaks to me...I am a major Gardener so I really appreciate your words. THANK you:-)

Sally: Glad to hear you are feeling like yourself...I am slowly too!

We finally had a cooler day with a bit of sunshine...just what I needed! I actually ran for 22 minutes in a row...out of my usual walk. Felt so good. Still not "there" with my foods, but getting back!

Wishing you all good choices and good results! Take care, kackie:heart:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Faye, I read “Strong Women Stay Young” and “Younger Next Year for Women” and they set me on a path of lifting heavier weights and staying even more active than I had been…..I am determined to be like my eighty something neighbor who goes to the Rec center to swim at 5 AM every day and shovels the snow off her driveway.

:flowerforyou: We had a lunch meeting today to make some plans about how to help the regular teacher who is having health problems as well as worrying about her husband……she took us to lunch at the Black Bear Diner, a place with not much on the menu that I want to eat…..so I ordered a broiled chicken breast, cole slaw, and a corn muffin (my splurge). It looks like I may be splitting the Friday beginner class with her starting after Halloween and being in line to be called if she has an emergency with her health or her husband’s health and can’t teach.

:flowerforyou: Linda, wow, an elk head boiling on the stove…..it makes the salmon cleaning in the sink look like nothing.

:flowerforyou: Robin, have you looked into prayer, meditation, yoga, or something as a stress reducer instead of wine? Sorry to hear that you caved on your resolution.

:mad: Michele, we had a power outage a few years ago on DWTS night and I found the whole show online and watched all the dances the next morning.

:bigsmile: Swissmiss (Becky), how nice to see you posting with us again….I hope the doctor can find out what’s wrong before you have too much discomfort.

:bigsmile: Polly, your husband is a keeper……how amazing to fix dinner from the ingredients left on the counter.

:bigsmile: Jake brought home four more salmon today. Tomorrow he sees the doctor about the problems with his rotator cuff. If he has to have surgery, there won’t be any salmon fishing for awhile.:cry:

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington

Resolutions for October
    *yoga once a week
    *walk with hubby three times a week
    *say “OK”---be agreeable
    *stay in the moment
    *Be Barbie

[img][/img]194904olsgis3xqe.gif
    "The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT."

"The temptation to quit will be greatest just before you are about to succeed."
  • yoyoung
    yoyoung Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies,

I just found you and so glad I did!
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good evening beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

This is going to be short tonight, I'll try to post more replys tomorrow!!! It has been a long day, a long cold day, and I'm just tired:yawn: .

Welcome to all the newbies:flowerforyou: , come back often and chat with us!!! This is a great group of women!!!

Meg:smile::laugh: I just have to tell you I had 3 chocolate cats, a chocolate horse, and what looked like a chocolate cow, you know if you cover things in chocolate, they taste better:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: . Really they are chocolate covered animal crackers, 135 cals. (calories) for 7, which means I can eat 2 more chocolate cats:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: .

Now that I've eaten my chocolate I'm going to go to bed and hopefully not dream of chocolate animals!

Hope everyone has a wonderful night! Sleep well and sweet dreams! Until tomorrow....

Hugs,
    DeeDee
  • cinnamon471
    cinnamon471 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    beautiful picture
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,136 Member
    Options
    Just a quick hello before I fold up my tent for tonight. Did I just say that? Yep, I'm tired and silly. Long day but I KNOW this group of ladies knows all about long days.

I've read everyone's posts and I think if we could harness all our energy we could power a fairly large CITY. YOU ROCK!!

Meg - I think Lucy did the Vitameatavegamin health formula instead of the Vitamix. But wait, you were probably pulling my leg and I totally missed it.

And as far as using the Vitamix for soup, things like the carrot ginger soup are smooth and creamy so no chunks necessary. Other soups you make the soup and put in the ingredients you want in chunks at the end and just blend for like 30 seconds (the ingredients are already cooked---just added late so you can keep the chunkiness). It's amazing how the blender can actually make soup smoking hot. I didn't believe it until I did it for myself.

More at a later date when my brain is not scrambled.

Lin
    :blushing:
  • LadyBeryl
    LadyBeryl Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Good evening.

So glad I discovered 50 calorie corn tortillas! 3 of them with 1 vegan patty yields 3 tacos for under 350 calories! I load up on the lettuce and salsa and only add a smidgen of lowfat shredded cheese. So good!
  • LadyBeryl
    LadyBeryl Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies my name is Delana and I rejoined today I started awhile back then stopped, I am glad to find a group of ladies 50+ I am turning 60 very soon and need to get this weight off. I read some of you texts and as my mother use to say misery loves company. It is good to read woman going thru the same struggles as I am.
    Delana - you WILL do it.
  • Tdaughtersmom
    Tdaughtersmom Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Barbie,
    (and everyone else in this group)
    One thing you said... "It's never too late to reinvent yourself."
    That's what I want to do. I've been a missionary teacher for 25+ years, but really want to resign from the organization and from the ministry.
    Not because I don't want to serve any longer, but because I now have grand children and I want THEM to be my focus. Is that selfish?
  • Tdaughtersmom
    Tdaughtersmom Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    PLEASE!!!! I want to know about 50 calorie corn tortillas! !!!
    are we allowed to share brands in this community?
  • jolenec1
    jolenec1 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Thanks Janie. Sorry it didn't work for you though. It has worked for me in the past, however, this time I got the cortisone injections at the same time. I haven't had that before. I had to miss work today because my knees were so swollen I could hardly walk and my blood sugar was elevated (which was expected):frown: .

I have a question. Has anyone tried using those portable peddle exercisers? I was thinking about getting one to put under my desk at work. I am stuck sitting a lot to work at the computer and I wondered if this would help counter some of the effects of my job. Like the holster hip thing I seem to have acquired. Any input is appreciated.

I have another trip to the doctor tomorrow...yippee:ohwell: Seems like the only places I go anymore is work, doctor, and the gym. What an exciting life I lead:laugh: . I will have to live vicariously though you girls....so keep the good posts coming for me:bigsmile:

Jolene
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    Options
    Barbie,
    (and everyone else in this group)
    One thing you said... "It's never too late to reinvent yourself."
    That's what I want to do. I've been a missionary teacher for 25+ years, but really want to resign from the organization and from the ministry.
    Not because I don't want to serve any longer, but because I now have grand children and I want THEM to be my focus. Is that selfish?

:flowerforyou: I retired from teaching grade one in public school when I was 58 years old...I had been a dedicated teacher refusing to let greater challenges and lower funding discourage me......one day someone mentioned something to me about "quality of life" and the next week I walked into a staff meeting and realized that I was finished with the challenge and ready to move on......it was one of the greatest decisions I've made in my life....I didn't even have a quality goal like grandchildren to motivate me.

:flowerforyou: Today I use my time to be useful to friends, dance a lot, walk my dogs for hours, and spend quality time with my husband.

:flowerforyou: prayer and meditation have helped me clear my thinking and make important decisions.

:flowerforyou: So, my short answer to you is , no you are not being selfish.:bigsmile:
  • glendalight
    glendalight Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Good evening ladies.

I was off to the city today with my daughter, soninlaw, and four grandkids, so no exercise unless I count walking around the stores!:happy: I was a little worried about food intake, especially after our big thanksgiving weekend but I think I managed okay. I took along my usual fruit and yogurt for breakfast in the car, I had a salad and chicken breast for lunch at Ikea and a lovely tuna salad at Subway on the way home. That is my NSV for the day!!

Michele - I may be chuckling at naked Wii for awhile! that right there may boost the popularity of the game!!:laugh:

Amanda - Great mother/daughter photo. It is hard to tell which one is the mother?!?!

Meg - I am sorry to hear of your daughter issues. We had a difficult time with one of our daughters and she did end up moving out (But thankfully did NOT end up marrying the guy who was part of the problem!!) It was one of the hardest things I have ever done - to sit and watch her as she packed up and left and yet not be able to help her, because we knew it was not a good choice for her. Over time, and after a lot of prayers, the relationship improved and she eventually moved back home, finished her studies and carried on with life.. I am so glad that I did not say or do things that would have closed that door for her, or us! Today I would consider her a best friend and am so proud of her, the choices she has made and the life she is living. Hang in there...don't give up!

Jane - Oh, how I hear you on the emotional eating and stress! We have a class here that I took a while ago that really deals with the reasons we eat. It made a huge difference just to be aware of it. If I am eating because of stress, the problem is not really solved and I continue to eat!! And night does seem to be the time when defenses are down too, doesn't it!! I have a sign on my fridge that says "Am I hungry? What kind of hunger is it?" (I could really use one on the cupboard door too!!) that makes me stop and think about why I am eating. You know that we are all here for you and struggle with the same things too. Be honest in logging your food, acknowledge the setbacks and the successes and know that today is always a new start. One step at a time, one day at a time.

Faye - I have never tried interval training. Do let me know if it is effective. I have heard lots of people use it.

Kate - The boiling deer head Is hilarious. :laugh: (maybe not so much at the time!) and a bit of a Hallowe'en horror story at the same time. Maybe you could arrange for one every year.:tongue:

CSueB - I smiled at the 'muscle awarenes'. It sounds so much more manageable than outright pain!:sick:

Robin - Indeed! exactly what you need to do - pick up and start again. It IS a new day and a new start. Keep at it! Wishing success for Sober October:smile:

Tdaughtersmom - I have just been thinking about the seasons of life and how some things are ordained for a specific season in life, And changing seasons sometimes demand that we change some things, sometimes good things and things we have loved. I wish you wisdom as you look at changing some activities in your life.

Mary - Welcome here. Set some good achievable goals - like logging your food daily and checking in here - and we look forward to seeing you often!

I finished off my clothing purge - reorganized the closet, packed a 'check in 20 pounds" box, and the rest...many bags full!!!.....were hauled off this weekend by a local charity! Feels good.

Good night all. Morning will be early:yawn:

Glenda
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy Hump day!It`s my oldest birthday today.Oct was a busy month.I have 3 oct babies.
    Have been doing good the last 2 nights.No overeating at night.Been trying my trick of herbal tea,chewing gum and crotcheting.
    Thanks for the luv and support.I love this group and love reading the posts.Can`t post to all,sorry.It took me awhile to catch up,having computer issues yesterday.
    HUGS
    jane
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Jolene...the peddle exerciser certainly can't hurt. We need whatever will get us into burning calories.

:flowerforyou: Jane, I hear you on having many birthdays in one month. From Nov to Jan I have six. One of them is two days after Christmas and another eight days later.

:flowerforyou: Glenda...It sounds like you are really eating healthy. Very good food choices.

I am having another three day work week. I have struggling to get my vacation days in before the end of the year. Monday is my youngest's birthday and we will be spending it together. :heart:
  • lizmil79
    lizmil79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I am staying home today sick with the crud. Be back later to read all of the posts

Liz
  • cathyb60
    cathyb60 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Everyone,
    Well I hope to get back on track as of today(2 days late) better late than never. I usually weigh in on Mondays but didn’t do it till today…I found 2 of the 4 pounds I had lost last week so hope I can lose them plus a couple of their friends, in the near future! :grumble: My biggest problem is (among a few)I can’t seem to stick with it for more than a few days in a row. My husband works 10 days a month (great retirement job) and of course when he’s home we are not home most days and that doesn’t help (I will have to plan ahead, especially meals) the other issue is, having drinks on the weekend. I have to do some meditation or something to make me realize it’s has to be one or the other (at least for awhile) if I want to get a steady flow of weight off. That’s my whining for now.

Jolene: I have a set of bike pedals (they are electric) In my mind they can’t be much different than using an exercise bike, and as someone said any movement is better than none. I keep mine by my chair and use them while watching TV. I tried to use them while reading but the book just wiggles!:smile:

Oh, by the way I tried a" new to me" vegetable this past week...Kale. I used it in a soup and made Kale Chips. The soup was a low GI bean soup, which was a bit bland but the chips were something I would do again, even my fussy, fussy daughter and daughter-in-law both liked them!:bigsmile:

Off to fill my water bottle!

Cathy

October Goals:
    * Track my food
    * Use the bike pedals at least 5 days a week
    * Get to the pool 2-3 days per week
    * Cut back on my drinks on the weekend
    * lose and keep off 6 pounds (I tend to yo-yo)
    * Eat more vegetables
  • wessecg
    wessecg Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Cathy, you don't have to miss logging in when you're not at home, the mfp app works great and even has a UPC scanner so most things you buy in a store can just be scanned into your diary. Haven't figured out how to check out this board on the app - guess it's not an option.

I have burned about 8000 more than I've eaten this week so I weighed myself for a sneak peek - up 1.2 pounds.:mad: As usual it scares me, but it's always up when I peek. Hopefully on Friday it will be down from last week like it always is. I keep waiting to hit some sort of plateau - I've been losing for about 10 weeks now. We'll see on Friday.
  • mwheatcraft54
    mwheatcraft54 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Good morning, everyone! Woke up to fog and drizzle this morning – it’s just beginning to burn off. We’re supposed to have one more day of semi-rain, then cold but clear for the weekend. DH and I went out last night for a walk when he got home – I bundled up, but as it turned out it was fairly pleasant and I was way too hot by the end. Lesson learned – tonight I’ll tough it out in long sleeves and no coat or gloves. We made fondu last night – I had made the baguettes in the pizza oven this weekend and was dying to have fondu. I looked up ways to lighten it up and wound up making it with two cups of shredded ementhaler, the wine, a bit of cornstarch, garlic, splash of pear brandy, and two cups (more or less) of greek yogurt. It came out fabulous! As it turns out, the flavors shone through because I used good cheese but it was lightened up considerably with the yogurt, which is as good as crème freche for cooking with. Anyway, we cut up a bunch of veggies, each had around four small slices of bread and veggies and apples in the dip – it was yummy.

I was in a very hungry mood yesterday. I read a lot about eating TDEEs and all and am interested in adding more calories into my diet (even though I just dialed back my base amount), but I really need to make sure those are “good” calories. I have a “witching hour” which falls mid-afternoon. What are some of the tricks you use to make sure you don’t go crazy in the mid-point between lunch and dinner?

KathyL, sending good thoughts to your friend. I hope she’s able to get a satisfactory treatment for her illness. You’re being a great friend to her.

Laura, hooray for total control of the TV! And how wonderful that you were able to turn that couch time into exercise time. That’s the way to do it!

I will say I’m very glad DH has never been a hunter. He threatened to do it a lot when his son was younger (because his son was very into guns and shooting things), but knowing him as I do I suspected he’d never get motivated enough to actually get his license, and sure enough he never has. I’m not opposed to hunting, but those two would have been a disaster – and I can’t even begin to think what it would have been like to deal with the carcasses!

Faye, it sounds like your husband is quite the prolific hunter – and wants everyone to know it ;). Good for you on the weight loss and continued exercise. I will vouch for the fact that not only will weights and strength training help your weight loss and overall fitness but it will be super good for your bones and body. Go for it!

CSue, there’s a good group with some posts to read on eating back your calories. Generally you will need to add calories back into your diet because you’re not meant to sustain a reduced calorie diet over a long time, so it’s better to get your body accustomed to eating the calories it’s burning (with a slight dip below that for weight loss). It’s a good section – I think this is the link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less

Meg, how nice to have a quiet office to work in (although I do that every day). It does help when you don’t have distractions. I’m with you – it’s why I don’t eat salads often, I just get tired of them after a while. And good for you for adding in more exercise!

CathyB, I sure hope you’re able to figure out something with your knee so you can start moving again. Feel free to whine to us about trying to keep your eating (and drinking) on track. As I mentioned elsewhere, we just had to give it up until we could get our calories from food under control. When I gave up things like gummy bears (my weakness), I knew alcohol fell into the same category. Aren’t the kale chips a revelation? So good!

Robin, you know you don’t have to worry about having a glass of wine. You’re on the right track. My main motivation for not drinking these days is simply because the alcohol adds empty calories I can’t afford. DH and I are occasionally enjoying a single glass of wine, but it’s maybe twice a month right now. We’ve become very good at planning our calories for when we know we’re going to binge, and we plan those carefully. No sitting down and suddenly finding us two bottles in for the evening ;).

Michele, I hope they figure out the fence issue. Having latching gates is super-important and it probably won’t pass inspection without them – we still have children drown in improperly fenced pools every year here. DH even had to rescue his dogs from the neighbor’s pool once because they managed to get in before the fence was up.

Jen, how fabulous to go to the Finger Lakes region! It’s high on my list of must-sees – we’re probably a day’s drive from there and I would love to camp up there sometime. It sounds like a lovely weekend.

Polly, good luck on getting the math. I took a couple of math classes for teachers in college when I was considering getting my teaching license – it’s funny to see people struggling with basic concepts, but it really is important to get so good for you for sticking with it. And yay for hubby making dinner! They can be useful sometimes ;).

Liz, exercising so you can eat is a good thing too. Don’t feel bad about it – feel productive.

Kackie, hooray for your running!!! I’ve been adding running into my walk, and DH is trying to talk me into running a 5K with him this weekend. I think I just might!

Barbie, I sure hope your husband is able to treat his rotator cuff with PT. DH’s dad has had surgery, and it ended his tennis-playing for good. It’s a tough surgery.

DeeDee – I laughed at your chocolate-covered menagerie! Don’t you love little treats like that?

Cinnamon, yes, beautiful!

LadyBeryl, Yep, you’re going to have to share that secret trove! Those sound delicious.

Jolene, I too suffer from sitting at the computer too long – we’re working on ideas to get up and move around periodically. It’s better to actually move around – for your brain and body. Fortunately my cats remind me of this when they want in, want out, want in, want out, etc. throughout the day.

Glenda, good job on the healthy food choices – and I’m sure you got some exercise in there too. I like your idea of the “Check in 20 lbs” box – but I did a big purge a couple of years ago and will need to start saving for the 20lb moment. DH doesn’t know that’s going to be his gift to me ;).

Jane, so glad to hear you’re finding distractions to keep you from mindless eating. I drink tea too and it really does help, as does keeping the hands busy. Happy birthday to all your October babies – I have two now, my mom and my granddaughter.

Swissmiss, enjoy your vacation days! Just be sure you don’t do what we all do around here – take them and then wind up doing work anyway. Find something to do!

Liz, I hope you feel better soon!

Cheryl, congratulations on your exercising this week! Wow!

OK, off to my first meeting of the day. I hope everyone has a wonderful day and sees some sun.

Cheers,

M.
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Good morning, happy Weds!

Another clear day in store for us here in Portland. Oh my stars, this weather has been to die for! :love: Rain predicted come Friday evening, so I plan to make good use of the next couple of days in the garden. Taking down the corn patch, digging beds where the garlic will be planted in a week or two, bringing home what's left of the peppers for salsa, and building a giant compost heap. The hard work continues until mid-November for us, then it'll be time to pause and reflect a bit and put on the holiday clothes.

Yesterday I put together a batch of chili verde with leftover pork roast from Sunday. Roasted tomatillos and garlic, put in the food processor with chopped poblanos, bells, a couple of jalapenos, cilantro and more garlic, then poured into the crockpot with a sauteed onion, a couple cups of chicken broth and the roasted pork. It was the best I've ever made, I followed a new recipe which is one I'll certainly save. I put a cup of it on top of a corn tortilla with a teeny bit of cheese, a huge pile of lettuce and a dollop of light sour cream. I'm thinking it'll make a good lunch today. I'll continue roasting the tomatillos from the garden and put them in freezer bags.

I'm not at all happy with the scale this week :grumble: but I'm telling myself to hang in there and try to be good. I really need to get some good cardio! I dug to China in the garden yesterday, spading up an 8x12 plot of ground for garlic which is great strength training, but it's just not like racewalking. Oh well. I'm up early enough this morning, I could certainly get dressed and head down to the track at first light. Could. Should. :indifferent: ha!

Spent a couple of hours recording with a student yesterday morning, which is another non-calorie-burning event but it did bring a bit of a paycheck. :bigsmile:

Alrighty you lovely ladies, I'm about done here and will go read posts from yesterday to see what everyone's been up to. I leave you with this funny quip about musicians...

A boy says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I want to be a musician." The mother replies, "You'll have to decide, son, because you can't do both." :laugh:

Have a great day! :drinker:

:smile: jb who WILL stay out of the chips today!