Would it be a deal breaker..

Options
Would it be a deal breaker for you if your SO didn't live a healthy lifestyle? Such as eating healthy & exercise..

Replies

• monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    no... il just continue to look good, so either hop on board or fade away with age.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    well No because you should know this going into a relationship so if you have a problem with it, then you should never have gotten serious.
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Would it be a deal breaker for you if your SO didn't live a healthy lifestyle? Such as eating healthy & exercise..

It would make the relationship difficult--after all, if I'm trying to eat better and exercise more and he does not want to do either, it's looking at temptation every time I'm with him. Better to have shared goals.
  • Josherrific
    Options
    I would imagine as long as there weren't any extreme bad habits it wouldn't be a deal breaker. I would prefer to find someone looking to lead a healthy lifestyle overall.
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    no... il just continue to look good, so either hop on board or fade away with age.

^^he pretty much stole my answer... :wink:
  • frogz21
    frogz21 Posts: 314
    Options
    well No because you should know this going into a relationship so if you have a problem with it, then you should never have gotten serious.

Well what about if you decide to live healthy and you have been with your SO other for several years or so??
  • frogz21
    Options

It would make the relationship difficult--after all, if I'm trying to eat better and exercise more and he does not want to do either, it's looking at temptation every time I'm with him. Better to have shared goals.

I agree.
  • dg730
    dg730 Posts: 62
    Options
    Nope
  • cruciia
    cruciia Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    My SO definitely does not live a healthy lifestyle, even though he remains very thin (envious!). It made me put on some weight in the beginning of our relationship as I just wasnt thinking about it and was following his habits. But now I'm working on my healthy self again and it's definitely not a deal breaker, it's his life!
  • Shelgirl001
    Shelgirl001 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    That is a very tough question, because I was asking myself this for a while now. My former SO and I were long distance dating for about 2 years before I started working to lose my weight. He talks about it once in a while, but does nothing. It seemed to get harder with time, since It continued for several months before he felt the need to break off the seriousness of the relationship due to distance issues. We have considered getting back together in the future, perhaps if one or the other of us decides to move. I am just not sure if we could be all that compatible if this fitness gap continues, though. He smokes and is over weight by quite a bit. It is a good question that I think I may need to face sometime in the future.
  • misslegz
    misslegz Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Nope.....he is reaping the benefits in more ways than one with me being healthy and cooking healthier!

12309460.png
  • Railr0aderTony
    Options

Well what about if you decide to live healthy and you have been with your SO other for several years or so??

I actually have this but we decided to get healthy together, it makes it much easier for both. Still you can not hold them accountable for your change in lifestyle
  • frogz21
    Options

I actually have this but we decided to get healthy together, it makes it much easier for both. Still you can not hold them accountable for your change in lifestyle

I agree. I would never try to blame my SO for me not getting fit or eating right. Since I have started being active and watching what and how much I eat, I have been able to get my SO to do the same. He said he doesn't want to get fat.
  • loumaag
    loumaag Posts: 118
    Options
    No.

I can only live my life, not hers.

I loved her when she was thin, I loved her when she was not. I loved her when she smoked and I loved her when she quit. I guess if you have questions like this, you have bigger problems than your or your SO's lifestyle. Maybe it would better if you just moved on and looked for someone else.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Options

I agree. I would never try to blame my SO for me not getting fit or eating right. Since I have started being active and watching what and how much I eat, I have been able to get my SO to do the same. He said he doesn't want to get fat.

That is great for you, Unfortunatly we both started the relationship fat, and we are busting our buts to change that and raise our daughter in a healthy active lifestyle.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    ^ What loumaag said.

I have had enough life experience to know that sometimes life takes turns. We all change over time. If you're expecting the person you partner with/marry to move along your life at the same pace and in the same way else it's game over, you have more to think about before choosing a partner.

Maybe you're not a marriage or lifetime commitment person. But in my experience, that lifetime commitment can include things like caring for a spouse who is severely injured and can't move, walk, bathe etc. What if your partner ends up with a physical impairment or disability... is that a dealbreaker? Do you love them enough to care for them and support them no matter whether they share your exercise habits or not? What if they get cancer and go years in treatment. Will you stay the course?

Being in a relationship with someone - truly being a partner/spouse to someone - means being a good partner for them; it's not just about having them be good for you.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Nope, wouldn't make the slightest difference. I do my own thing regardless. For example, I'm a pescetarian and have only ever been in relationships with meat eaters. It's never been an issue. I eat what I want and I exercise if I want. If they don't, that's fine.
  • ckish
    ckish Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Yep! That doesn't mean that he has to be hyper vigilant about it but shared values in the beginning are critical to a successful relationship as we change and grow thru life. But I think the answer really depends on weather a healthier lifestyle choice came before or after the commitment to the relationship. I've been married almost 30 years. A few years back my hubby and his brother were diagnosed with a genetic heart defect that was previously undetected. My brother-in-law continued to go to McDonald's 3 or more days a week, would eat pounds of jelly belly candy a week, and the only exercise he gets is walking from the bed to the couch. My hubby eats right and has even gotten up before everyone else to get in his cardio in on Christmas morning. He has completely reversed the heart defect and is the poster child for the benefits of good diet and exercise. He inspires me to take care of myself so we can enjoy a long happy life together. I've often told him that I would have been very disappointed if he chose the path of his brother. I appreciate the fact that he wants to do what ever he can to stay healthy. The first day we met his cardiologist was one of my favorite memories. My hubby professed his deep love for me and our daughters in ways that I had never heard before. The cardiologist was so moved he hugged me and promised me that he would do everything in his power to ensure Joe lived a long and happy life surrounded by our future grandchildren, pets etc. Since Joe didn't have years of bad habits to overcome he only needed to tweak his good habits a bit. I often think of the other guys that crossed my path before him who were drinkers, smokers, etc. and can't imagine how different my life would be now that we are in our 50's. Healthy habits reap mega rewards as we age. So glad I made a great choice and passed up the other guys who were to busy having a good time that they neglected their health. Life has no guarantees and we are all just a serious illness or accident away from poor health. My hubby and I are committed to being together regardless of the twists and turns of life. Likewise we have a commitment to do everything within our power to stay, safe happy, and healthy. We even wear seatbelts because if one of us dies in a car accident the surviving spouse won't have to live with the knowledge that a seatbelt would have meant the difference between life and death. We all change and grow as we age. Some people are content with SO that come and go as we grow cherishing each relationship while it lasts. Others prefer a life long commitment that stands the test of time. One path is not necessarily better than the other. The secret to happiness is knowing your core values and those of your partner and determining if you are both rowing in the same ocean.
  • frogz21
    Options
    No.

I can only live my life, not hers.

I loved her when she was thin, I loved her when she was not. I loved her when she smoked and I loved her when she quit. I guess if you have questions like this, you have bigger problems than your or your SO's lifestyle. Maybe it would better if you just moved on and looked for someone else.

This wasn't anything personal for me. I just wanted to know what others thought because I have heard others say they would not be with someone who didn't have the same goals or lifestyle as them.

I personally support my SO in whatever he wants to do. There are plenty of things we don't have in common, but we support each other in them. I would never try to change my SO, I would just hope he will always support me like I do for him.
  • frogz21
    Options
    Nope, wouldn't make the slightest difference. I do my own thing regardless. For example, I'm a pescetarian and have only ever been in relationships with meat eaters. It's never been an issue. I eat what I want and I exercise if I want. If they don't, that's fine.

What is a pescetarian?