Do you get along with your inlaws........

Options

Replies

• Maddalen101
    Maddalen101 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I love my FIL - he has been wonderful to us, there for us every time we needed. Wish my hubby had more love for his dad.
    Loved my late stepMIL too - she was very loving to me until the day she died.
    ON the other hand, my hubby gets along with my own family better than I do! So, I guess it evens out ..
  • pinkgungal
    Options
    My in-laws suck. I genuinely do not care how they treat me, but they treat my husband like crap. Visits were far and few when we lived in Michigan about 1.5 hours away from them, but now that we live in DC...visits are non-existant.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I have two sets of IL's. East Coast and West Coast. We live on the East Coast. The East Coast IL's are atrocious. I knew I'd never get along with my MIL when she invited herself along on our honeymoon and we had to cancel it.

My West Coast IL's? ADORE! I miss them so much and can't wait to go back for another visit.
  • DylansMom312
    DylansMom312 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I adore my MIL. She's an awesome lady, we've gone on girls weekends together, and she seems to really adore me. I used to really love my FIL but things have changed since a camping trip we took this summer. He accused us of being freeloaders and a load of other nasty things. It kills me because they really do nothing for us except an occasional meal out and that one camping trip. Since then, he's acted like it never happened, and so I've done the same. I'm getting back into being okay with him, but it's been hard. Besides that though, they've actually been pretty excellent.
  • AnnaMC1977
    Options
    Fabulously! I've never had issues.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I get along with them politely, and they are very nice to me, but they do love teh drama, which makes me sympathetic for husband b/c he gets the worst of it :(
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I work with my in-laws. I get along with them just fine. The father-in-law and I fight a lot, but just during work because we butt heads about everything. But at the same time, I'm the only one who he will listen to when it comes to disagreements with everyone. Mother-in-law is a great person in and out of work. I mean she gets on my nerves sometimes just as any other person could get on your nerves. But overall they are great. I guess I got lucky.
  • brittvee
    brittvee Posts: 123
    Options
    I never met mine until after i divorced their son lol
  • kristamarie91
    kristamarie91 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    My In laws are awesome! When we lived like 3 minutes down the street (now we live about 3300 miles away) we were always over for dinner parties and cookouts and bon fires. It was awesome! My first Christmas with them was so welcoming and I really felt like I was a part of their family. I'm closer to them then my real parents! And I especially love my mother in law, she's hilarious!

Edit: And of course I love my two Brother in laws, and two sister in laws. They are all really great people!
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Every time I have to visit them, which is every second Sunday, I want to claw my eyes out.

Are they ragging on your choice in shoes, too?
  • Goatgirl8
    Goatgirl8 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    In the beginning I made a great attempt to get on well with my mother-in-law. My husband tried to warn me to steer clear of her, but I thought he was just exaggerating. Turns out I should have listened. That woman is certifiably INSANE! I mean mental hospital material. Any day now I expect her to show up at our house swinging and axe. We are talkin' Lizzie Borden material here. Thank God we live far away and my hubby has set animal traps just in case she get's too close.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    MIL is hard to deal with. Plus she beat the crap (broken noses/lacerations on backside) out of my BF and his sisters so I have a hard time liking her just for being an extremely abusive parent. Sadly, she is staying with us this weekend because she wants to visit my BF and son, FML.

Haven't met his dad and not sure if I will, they haven't spoken in years..
  • MommaKit79
    Options
    I get along pretty well with my In-Laws. My father-in-law is a chatter box and sometimes I have to just let him talk...and my M.I.L. is a bit of a "my way is always right" and "I know all" but, they are GREAT to us for the most part. They watch my daughter during the week while we are at work and, while she doesnt always listen to what I tell her, she does a pretty good job for the msot part. OF COURSE I wish she would LISTEN to me since her last BABY is now 40 yrs old but, we get by! :-) They also cook dinner for us most nights since we come in together to pick up our daughter. they would do it 5 nights a week if we wanted them to! :-)

We wouldnt be where we are right know if it werent for them, quite frankly!!
  • mgraue82
    mgraue82 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    My mother-in-law is a very sweet and loving woman who, though sometimes overbearing and pushy, is truly a good woman. Sometimes she makes me uncomfortable and can be rude, but it's because she lacks tact - not because she is mean-spirited. I love her and am so lucky to have her for my MIL.

My father-in-law passed away two years ago. He was an incredible man, and I see so much of him in my husband. I miss him. He was the kind of person that I was proud to be related to, and considered a friend.

My 3 brothers-in-law and sister-in-law are all incredible people. The wives are, too, but family functions can be challenging sometimes! Lots of different personalities to navigate. Still, I love them all and recognize that I'm fortunate to be part of the circle!

I can relate to this one! Well said :)
  • makkman
    makkman Posts: 212
    Options
    My inlaws r awesome. Thnk god could not imagine having a horrible inlaws
  • paint_it_black
    paint_it_black Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    No, not at all. I caught my sister in law having a party drinking and taking drugs with a house full of guys while she was being paid to watch my kids. A few weeks later she stole my hubbies car, best thing we ever did was cut her out of our lives. Life is too short to surround yourself with people who make you miserable.
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    We co-exist well... does that count? :wink:
  • serena569
    serena569 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    My ex's family was ok. Got along best with his mom since she died before he and I met!

Boyfriend's family is...interesting. His mom invited daughters and daughters-in-law to dinner for her birthday. Guess who wasn't invited. Yup me. Now guess who was. Boyfriend's ex-wife!
  • Kourtne_KK
    Kourtne_KK Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    My mother in law is amazing! I get a long with just about the whole family but there is one or two sister in laws who have strong opinions about me *side eye*
  • KellyBurton1
    KellyBurton1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    My mother in law drives me nuts! She always has every since I started dating her son which is now my husband. She sticks her nose in everything. I can go weeks without hearing from her and then it starts! What pisses me off the most is when she tells everyone that she has my kids all the time when its not true and my kids havnt seen or spoken to her in weeks.
    Someone told me years ago that she only expects for her children to be with people who are like a prince or princess. Yeah like she's a freakin queen!
    God help me I have to go over there for supper tonight, say a prayer for me!