What's the best excuse you've heard to not workout?

Options

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Probably "I have my period."

Mother Nature likes to play cruel jokes on me, so I typically have my period for every race or any kind of important event I plan, including Warrior Dash. If I can scale walls, run through a forest, jump fire and crawl through mud while Aunt Flo is visiting, you can do SOMETHING.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    The chest twins bounce around too much.

Me too. I honestly have never been a runner. When I was most fit, put me on a bike and I could push out 100 miles. Put me in a pool and I was a beast with laps... ask me to run.... couldn't run for 60 seconds straight without dying and gasping for breath.

Although best "excuse" I've ever used is kidney stones. I get them on a regular basis and when I'm curled in the fetal position in pain... I'm not working out. I can't move without thowing up.
  • exWHYzee1337
    Options
    I have single friends with no kids tell me.... they can't go because their SLEEPY!! lol I have two kids and two jobs.. Sleep does sound nice however.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    I have heard the "nobody will workout with me".. you get way more accomplished on your own..
    As well as "Tried that, didn't work".. obviously you didn't try hard enough..
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I used to use the excuse of insomnia. I was so tired that I could barely function at work, nevermind exercise before/after work. Guess what? Exercise cured my insomnia. I think anyone who uses the "I'm too tired" excuse can really benefit from exercise (and not just one day of exercise, I'm talking regularly) because it makes you feel energized after and helps you sleep.
  • drakechic08
    drakechic08 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Yes I know I'm a female and I should be more sensitive; but I also have Stage 3 Endometriosis so the TOM excuse is BS to me. I can be in doubled over pain and exhausted but it is never a reason for me to not workout bc I feel so much better after.

I have severe back and hip pain that we think may be due to endo and Im right there with you. Even on some of my worst days, I still try to do something. I am not perfect, but I work out a lot more than many of my friends that have no major health issues. I even managed to finish a half marathon while having a lot of back pain. So the I dont feel good or Im too tired excuses dont fly with me.
  • perfecting_emptiness
    Options
    I used to say that I had big bones and my legs could never be *that* skinny anyway. LIES! I also used to tell myself that skinny girls were like that naturally. MORE LIES!! Lmao :)

I started working out when my daughter was 4 months old. She never napped and woke up every hour at night. And I had to breast feed her every 1.5hrs during the day so I really can't stand the 'I don't have time' excuse! When my mommy friends would say that I wanted to shake them like a baby. (just joking, never shake a baby. Put them in a basket and leave them on someone's door step)
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I have been on a "no excuses" kick lately because I am VERY motivated and losing weight quickly. People are noticing and they are asking me what I am doing to lose the weight. I find it interesting that as soon as I tell them I'm watching what I eat very closely and I started jogging that most people have an excuse why they cannot go jogging or do exercise. Things like "I've never been able to run," or "My knees are too sore," or "I tinkle when I run." (I love that one). I think I've heard just about every excuse in the book for not being able to do it.

What's the best excuse you've heard (or used)?

The I don't have time excuse is priceless...we are ALL busy and tired and etc..........If you want it bad enough, you'll find the time. I get up and do it at 4:15 am 6x a week. Why so early? Because the rest of my day is jammed. I fit it in by getting up early to do it. High five to all those who don't take the "I don't have tiem excuse"...
  • Slove009
    Slove009 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    "I just want to lose weight without doing anything" - Sister..... :noway:
    I admit I have days where I tell myself I just "don't feel like it" but when I do make myself workout I feel great afterwards! This scale moving down is a nice side-effect too. :wink:
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I just have trouble fitting it in. When I find the time to fit it in, I'm tired or would rather do something else. It's my choice, though. I always feel better when I choose to run instead of _____ (whatever else). :)
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I'm a vampire and immortals don't exercise. Truestory.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    'when i lose more weight i'll start really working out' -- really? how do you think you're going to lose more weight??

'I don't want to wash my hair twice in one day' - seriously, I've heard people say this.

I've lost a bunch of weight, and people always want to know how I did it, or what my secret was.... when I tell them I just ate healthier and exercised, they get all disappointed. Fact is, people are lazy, and they'll make up any kind of excuse they can -- because it's not important enough to them. I figure we make time for what's important to us. So to people that make excuses, I assume sitting on the couch for that extra hour in the evening watching tv is mort important than getting in shape. to each his own.
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I constantly hear that they "don't have time", or "I'm sick", or "I'm too tired". I've even heard that they don't exercise because it's bad on their knees. :laugh:
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    "I've just varnished my toenails/had my hair done/got a face full of makeup"
    "I don't need to exercise, I'm naturally slim" :noway:
    "My gym kit is in the wash"
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I got "I'm waiting for the fat to come down first."

Translation:

"I want to be skinny-fat but dont know what that means yet!"
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    "I just want to lose weight without doing anything" - Sister..... :noway:
    I admit I have days where I tell myself I just "don't feel like it" but when I do make myself workout I feel great afterwards! This scale moving down is a nice side-effect too. :wink:

I agree with you. There have been days when I can barely move my head (from a headache); but, after forcing myself to get off my lazy butt and exercise (take a walk or something), I feel 100x better. It's amazing how good you feel after a nice workout.
  • tmwk51
    tmwk51 Posts: 9
    Options
    I can not think of any but I know i've used them all.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    I had a girl tell me she doesn't like running cause it makes her sweat.
  • margojr4
    margojr4 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    My favorite "I dont have time" excuse (though you see a gazzillion FB posts from them daily) <eye roll> lol
  • skinnybitchbarbie27
    skinnybitchbarbie27 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    My favorites (mind you I work at a gym)

1. I could never cut _______ Out of my diet!!! (Normally refering to fried foods,salt, or soda)
    2. I never have time to come in here! (really, we're open 13 hours of the day. I drag my *kitten* here to open at 6am and YOU dont have time?)
    3. (after bad attendance on weigh and measure day) OH I gained 5 pounds, must be muscle!
    4. My work schedule doesn't allow me to eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner at home. (explaining why they go out a lot. COOK AHEAD OF TIME)
    5. My kids blah blah blah blah.
    6. I don't like going out in the________ (enter any weather you can think of, To hot, to cold, rain etc.)

And some of my favorites:
    1. My SO likes me fat
    2. I can't strength train, I'll look like rambo (lies)
    3. I CAN'T AFFORD IT (while they're walking their way to a nail appointment, soda in hand)