What's the best excuse you've heard to not workout?

Options

Replies

• billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    "I can't I'm in labor"
  • kimg68
    kimg68 Posts: 64
    Options
    I used to use the excuse "I don't want to be selfish and spend what little time I have with my boys in the evenings at the gym" Then I got selfish.
  • newmooon56
    newmooon56 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Some of the ones already posted are old time 'faves'
    others include:

1-I cant get any tiny-er! (said by a 100# woman shaped like a 12 year old boy)
    2-With all I have to do (then they name all the crap we all do every day, and I especially love when the kidless or 1 kid woman tells this 3 kid gal)
    3-I do work out (and by that they mean they stood up and did 4 calf raises and 4 side bends on the way to the loo) - these are usually the type that will eventually name some diet related disease as the reason they are fat and cant exercise. If they werent sick theyd get healthy- HUH?!

came back to add- the women that say they are loved by men that love them fat have some real problems. First off they are not living the life they choose- obviously what a man's ideal is what they strive for (if they are even serious) And second but foremost- I wouldnt be unhealthy for any one for any reason - its bad enough we all have to answer to ourselves about our bad choices and look hard and deep inside to change- but to let someone else dictate that- NO WAY. Talk about weak..
  • kconnors100
    Options
    Whenever I try to entice my friend to go walking with me (do it every day), she tells me the rustle of the leaves when she walks distracts her from concentrating on walking so she prefers to use a treadmill indoors . . . except that the treadmill makes a "funny" noise that bothers her . . . in other words, she has not been walking with me outdoors or on the treadmill indoors for at least a year but she tells me that she "really wants" to lose weight and get healthy . . . go figure . . .:laugh:
  • osualex
    osualex Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    "I have kids" - yeah, because no one could possibly work out if they have kids...oh wait, yes you can!
    "I don't have time" - no. just no. we all have the same amount of time in a day, if you want something bad enough you will find the time. someone busier than you is working out right now.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Whenever I try to entice my friend to go walking with me (do it every day), she tells me the rustle of the leaves when she walks distracts her from concentrating on walking so she prefers to use a treadmill indoors . . . except that the treadmill makes a "funny" noise that bothers her . . . in other words, she has not been walking with me outdoors or on the treadmill indoors for at least a year but she tells me that she "really wants" to lose weight and get healthy . . . go figure . . .:laugh:

I have one of these friends. "I really NEED to do something..." and makes an excuse every time I ask her to go

I personally have no excuses. I hate exercise so I don't do it often. End of story.
  • sweetiepaia
    sweetiepaia Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    1. I dont have time
    2. I am too tired
    3. I love to eat
    4. I dont have anybody to help me
    5. My husbands food is too good
    6. Its too cold outside
    7. its too hot outside
    8. I'll start tomorrow

YEP.....i have used all of these the past month

got get off my *kitten* and start huh
  • nicole2783
    nicole2783 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I like this post. I often use the "I don't have time" excuse (ducking from those who hate this ha). I have a 10 year old in girl scouts, volleyball and swimming; a 7 year old in boy scouts, basketball, baseball and swimming; a 20 pound 4 month old that likes to nurse contantly; and an over the road truck driver for a husband, plus, a full time job. However, after reading this post, I know I should still find time to so something, anything. I think when the older kids are swimming twice a week, I will put the baby in the daycare there, and at least have that hour to workout. I do workout at home on the weekends, and MAYBE I will start using the 30 minutes after the kids go to bed before I pass out, to fit something in. I do know that I will never say I don't have the time again. :o)
    Oh, and I still do find the time to eat healthy, even beeing super busy, so I am still managing to lose as of now without working out more. But I seriously think that reading this will give me the kick I need!!
  • panda007dammit
    panda007dammit Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    To the multiple excuses for not running, specifically, my immediate response is "Do something else!" Hell, I hate running. You couldn't pay me enough to run a 5K (actually, you probably could, but I'd complain the entire way and give you multiple dirty looks, even as I'm crossing the finish line). I hop on my bike instead. I do kickboxing videos and classes. I watch an episode of some show on TV and move around a lot of heavy weights at the same time. If you like something, you'll be a lot more comfortable with working out.
  • Kjngrrl
    Kjngrrl Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    "I tinkle when I run."

Was talking to a coworker the other day who mentioned this one, but she wasn't using it as an excuse -- she has recently taking up jogging, but says it kind of sucks b/c she has to go to the bathroom the whole time. She is 50+ and blames it on having her kids. :)
  • sweetiepaia
    sweetiepaia Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    "I tinkle when I run."

Was talking to a coworker the other day who mentioned this one, but she wasn't using it as an excuse -- she has recently taking up jogging, but says it kind of sucks b/c she has to go to the bathroom the whole time. She is 50+ and blames it on having her kids. :)

it's true...after 2 kids....i do tinkle when i jog or laugh or jump etc...:angry::blushing: I have used many excuses but not this one :tongue:
  • AnnaVee84
    AnnaVee84 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    "exercise induced asthma" - hahahaaaa it's a real thing, i guess, but it was my excuse for not finishing my month at crossfit; just couldn't breathe inside that warehouse! glad i can laugh about it now =P
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    "I have gout in my foot, so I can't run." - While I know that gout is extremely painful, there are other options.

"I have a shoulder injury, so I don't want to lift weights." - Could be wrong, but I'm preeetty sure exercise and moderate weight lifting strengthens your muscles to help prevent injury. I know my shoulders and back are significantly better.

"I've always eaten like this." - Hence the problem.

"I don't want to go to the gym because guys there are competitive and judgmental." - If you want it bad enough, nothing and nobody will stop you from doing what you gotta do.
  • Shamrock_me
    Options
    "I don't like being sweaty" - the most nonsensical excuse ever!!

I've heard this TWO places. Once from a woman at work... and my thought was "You say sweat like it's a bad thing"

Once at the gym from a muscle head regarding my work out being more than he can handle (I switch fast between cardio & strength training & back again). My thought at the time was "There are lots of fun ways to get sweaty & you just ruled yourself out of all of mine"

Sweaty.. Sweat... it's a good thing!! (wink wink)
  • schell81
    schell81 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    My favorite from a friend who remarked on my weight loss. "I can't eat cardboard and rabbit food while my family is eating pizza and burgers, it's not fair."
    um... don't you want your 4 kids to know what a healthy diet is? I'm also very sure that I've been eating very well this whole time.
  • DanerTee
    DanerTee Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of a funny thing a friend of mine said recently.
    "I went running yesterday and after 2 minutes I forgot something. I forgot I'm fat and I can only run for two minutes!"
    LOL I couldn't help but laugh!
  • NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Probably "I have my period."

Mother Nature likes to play cruel jokes on me, so I typically have my period for every race or any kind of important event I plan, including Warrior Dash. If I can scale walls, run through a forest, jump fire and crawl through mud while Aunt Flo is visiting, you can do SOMETHING.

Love it! I do get tired during that time, but exercise helps get rid of or greatly diminishes any issues I would have during that "time". I make sure to stay moving.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    The one that irritates me the most is "I'm tired...I work all day." Uhhhhh, so do I. And I have a child, a husband, and a house to clean. She on the other hand is single, childless, no animals, and has a small apt. :noway:
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    The one that irritates me the most is "I'm tired...I work all day." Uhhhhh, so do I. And I have a child, a husband, and a house to clean. She on the other hand is single, childless, no animals, and has a small apt. :noway:

Psh, I feel like working out is my treat at the end of the day.... helps me get through the day when I have that to look forward to!!
  • chelle_fri
    chelle_fri Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    "It's raining" Oh. My. God. Majority of my exercise routines are done indoors. I can't stand when people use the weather as an excuse.