Staying full on a healthy diet

Options

Replies

• happysazzyz
    happysazzyz Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    try tortillas instead of white bread, and I just found that mission makes a whole wheat black bean blend. They are a smaller tortilla and I just had one and it filled me right up. I don't ever get low fat cheese and if I use things like that (sour cream, mayo ect.) I always use the regular stuff cuz have you ever noticed what they take out of nutrition to give you low fat and what not? Just use it appropriatly and shouldn't be a problem. Don't over do it if your gonna go with the regular and not the low fat stuff. You can go with mayo that has olive oil and its still good and a better fat for ya :) If I really wanna sour cream something up I take greek yogurt and mix in lemon juice and tastes just like sour cream.
  • JennedyJLD
    JennedyJLD Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Protein and fiber are always very filling! I'm in the same boat as far as veggies alone not doing the trick, but I find if I have some grilled chicken or fish and a high-fiber roll, Fiber One bar, or high-fiber powder such as Herbalife's blend, it can be very filling. Most Americans don't get nearly as much fiber as they need, and MFP only suggests about half of the actual recommended amount. Shoot for 30 percent or more macronutrients to come from protein and at least 20-25g of fiber a day - you WILL feel full!
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I think full-fat cheese and bacon are not very healthy choices. They have the kind of fat that plugs up your arteries, not good healthy fats like avocado and olive oil.

cheese is fine. it doesn't clog your arteries.......

Cholesterol, trans fat, and saturated fat have the potential to clog your arteries. Cheese contains this so TOO MUCH of it can clog some people's arteries. I ate a lot of red meat and a lot of cheese and had high cholesterol in my early 20's. I Cut out SOME of the red meat cheese and suddenly my stats were back to normal. I weighed 90lbs. at the time-i just ate too much cheese and red meat. I don't think you can make this statement because it is not true for everyone and you don't know how much cheese and bacon she is eating.
  • wfte
    wfte Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Ok, full fat cheese and bacon are NOT unhealthy. Part of the reason that they make you feel full is the NUTRITION contained within. Don't listen to the food nazi's. I eat cheese every day. (I would *never* intentially buy low-fat cheese.) And I have bacon and sausage once or twice a week. I eat white bread almost daily. And I am losing fat without losing lean body mass because I am getting extra protein and doing strength training while in a *slight* calorie deficit. I am losing about 1 pound per week and about an inch or two each week.:smokin:

If you are getting nutrition from it (carbs, fats, protein) and staying in your calorie goal *AND* feeling full, then you are doing it right. Don't let anyone tell you different! :flowerforyou:

:drinker:

Actually, it is OK to eat those things every once in awhile, but in the long-term if you eat them daily, they can lead to heart disease, diabetes, etc. They don't have the same benefits as fruits and veggies, nuts, beans, grains, etc. They just don't. Maybe they have the same protein, carbs, fats, etc., but they are missing a lot of the things that veggies have—including antioxidants, etc. You need to focus on whole foods, and limit how much processed (white bread!!!) and meat products you consume, for maximum long-term health. Do the research and you'll see! Even thin people can get heart disease and diabetes, or cancer. :/

Really?

In fact you're right. Cheese and bacon don't have the same benefits as grains. It's the grains that will give you diabetes, heart issues etc, NOT fat.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Ok, full fat cheese and bacon are NOT unhealthy. Part of the reason that they make you feel full is the NUTRITION contained within. Don't listen to the food nazi's. I eat cheese every day. (I would *never* intentially buy low-fat cheese.) And I have bacon and sausage once or twice a week. I eat white bread almost daily. And I am losing fat without losing lean body mass because I am getting extra protein and doing strength training while in a *slight* calorie deficit. I am losing about 1 pound per week and about an inch or two each week.:smokin:

If you are getting nutrition from it (carbs, fats, protein) and staying in your calorie goal *AND* feeling full, then you are doing it right. Don't let anyone tell you different! :flowerforyou:

I think she is probably trying to stay under her calorie goal though and it is difficult to do with full fat cheese and bacon. And no it is not unhealthy for everyone but it definetly fills up your calories in a hurry. If i used it every day i would have to skip a meal.

Bacon has like 70 calories for 2 slices. That's not that bad. And cheese is about 110 calories for 1 oz. I can make a grilled cheese sandwich with 1 oz of cheese, 2 slices of bread (140 cals) and some spinach. It's delicious and very filling - all for 255 calories. What's wrong with that?

And I don't think anyone suggesting "moderation" is arguing that you should eat bacon and cheese all day and nothing else. Of course that's not okay. You need balance. That's the point of moderation. I eat veggies. I eat whole grains. I eat lean meats and beans. I eat fruit. I also enjoy the heck out of some bacon a few times a week. And I have cheese maybe 3-4 times a week. What is so wrong about that? I don't have to eat like a rabbit to lose weight OR to be healthy.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

Cholesterol, trans fat, and saturated fat have the potential to clog your arteries. Cheese contains this so TOO MUCH of it can clog some people's arteries. I ate a lot of red meat and a lot of cheese and had high cholesterol in my early 20's. I Cut out SOME of the red meat cheese and suddenly my stats were back to normal. I weighed 90lbs. at the time-i just ate too much cheese and red meat. I don't think you can make this statement because it is not true for everyone and you don't know how much cheese and bacon she is eating.

I'll agree that trans fat should be avoided.

but saturated fat isn't always bad. I put a tablespoon of coconut oil (saturated fat) in my coffee every morning.....because its GOOD

I'm not saying she should eat a half pound of bacon with a cup of cheese melted on it daily.
  • xtrout
    xtrout Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I would say it's ok to eat the full fat cheeses, breads, etc. Just keep in mind that these foods have a lot of sodium in them so I would eat them sparingly. Like most things in life, you have to diversify in order to get consistent positive results. Whether It be friends, food, investing, you name it, diversity is key.
  • AliceNov2011
    AliceNov2011 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I think you're supposed to be hungry before the next meal. I don't know where this idea that we should never feel hungry comes from, but I think it's wrong.

If I wait 'til I get hungry, I'm tempted to overeat. I eat small meals & snacks at regularly scheduled intervals whether I'm hungry or not. That keeps me from scrambling to find calories at the end of the day, too. And a snack doesn't have to be a big deal -- it might be an apple or fruit & yogurt or even a scoop of tuna. I plan everything, and that keeps me on track. ;c)
  • med2017
    med2017 Posts: 192 Member
    Options

:drinker:

Actually, it is OK to eat those things every once in awhile, but in the long-term if you eat them daily, they can lead to heart disease, diabetes, etc. They don't have the same benefits as fruits and veggies, nuts, beans, grains, etc. They just don't. Maybe they have the same protein, carbs, fats, etc., but they are missing a lot of the things that veggies have—including antioxidants, etc. You need to focus on whole foods, and limit how much processed (white bread!!!) and meat products you consume, for maximum long-term health. Do the research and you'll see! Even thin people can get heart disease and diabetes, or cancer. :/

Really?

In fact you're right. Cheese and bacon don't have the same benefits as grains. It's the grains that will give you diabetes, heart issues etc, NOT fat.

since when do grains cause heart issues?
  • triathlete5301
    triathlete5301 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    My tips are always protein and fiber!
    Also, you state that you want to be full mroe than a few hours- your metabolism is supposed to digest to where you eat ever 3-4 hours, so if you want to be full longer than that you are going to gorge.

I usually have 100 calorie pack popcorn (it's full of fiber, just watch the sodium). Oatmeal is good too. I actually have been having a lot of soup with vegetables (low sodium variety) and that has been helping. String cheese, greek yogurt. Hardboiled eggs. There are these 200 calorie tuna salad packs by starkist that keep me really full to!

Drink water! If you feel hungry, before you reach for food, try to drink water too. That was a big thing to help curb my appetite. Many time we are more thirsty than we are hungry.

Find high fiber options- white bread may not look bad, but it has a high glycemic index. It will keep you fuller if you use wheat or oat bread.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I eat full fat cheeses :P Reduced calorie cheese tastes like solid skim milk. Which is gross. Because it is gross.

That kind of stuff you do have to learn to eat sparingly. If you want the most "bang for your buck" in terms of fullness/calories ratio, your diet should consist mostly of plants and animals - Vegetables, cooked or raw, and minimally-prepared meat... Grilled, baked, broiled, stir-fried (to a degree). That doesn't mean you shouldn't eat anything else, but if bread makes up the bulk of your diet, you're going to experience hunger when you don't have a meal that includes bread.

again, I don't think you need to eliminate anything from your diet, just change the ratios so that bread/rice/pasta/sweets/concentrated dairy products aren't at the forefront

PS: I hear you when you say you are making "little changes" but "little changes" result in "little change". A big part of becoming a healthier person is changing your perspective in significant ways. You can't lose weight, for example, just by using skim milk instead of 2%, or by taking the stairs instead of the elevator. These are ways that Cosmo magazine sells subscriptions; by making weight loss seem like it's a process that doesn't require a lot of effort. It does require a lot of effort.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Thanks. :) I'm a bit of a hypocrite, I'm always telling people here to get rid of the "diet mentality" and stop saying foods or good or bad. But deep down I still have those tendencies. I need to stop feeling guilty for eating things I like when they still fit into my goals for the day.

It comes from all the "public service" announcements, food industry commercials, and politically-charged "nutrition science." (And yes the quotes are for irony.)
  • triathlete5301
    triathlete5301 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER!!!

Did I mention water? lol. Try and drink a FULL glass of water before and during your meals!

And not to be pessimistic, but you're on a diet, so you're going to be hungry more often. Your body is intentionally living off a smaller amount.

I don't see myself as being on a diet, to be honest. I'm trying to make little changes to the way I eat that will add up to a decent difference on the scale. My goal is not to be restrictive.
    the problem is that you have to make changes overall. the weight didn't magically appear (not to be mean) so there have to be changes. I know I felt the same way. The responder stating that "you are on a diet" isn't exactly correct, but if you were used to gorging yourself on crap, then your stomach is distended and you have to shrink it. You have to go hungry for a little bit before your body will adjust. Drinking a full glass of water before and after a meal can help that. I lost 15 pounds doing that without exercise.

Also, bacon and cheese aren't bad persay but the people saying the good fat (mono, poly unsaturated fats) are correct that those fats are more beneficial and easier to burn off than saturated fat. Overall, we do need fat in our diet.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

The truth is, the more junk you eat, the more you'll want it instead of the good stuff.

Actually that's not the truth. But thanks for playing! :smokin:
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

its the polar opposite of the people who seem to say fat is bad for you.

i'd say both are overplayed a bit, but carbs do actually play a greater role in disease than fats do, IMO.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

I think she is probably trying to stay under her calorie goal though and it is difficult to do with full fat cheese and bacon. And no it is not unhealthy for everyone but it definetly fills up your calories in a hurry. If i used it every day i would have to skip a meal.

I'm not sure how much you are using, but I go by servings. One serving is only about 100 calories. I guess if someone is on a VLCD then it might be hard to work in, but I don't advocate those anyway.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Since the latest, greatest diet book hit the best seller list. {Insert title here}
  • FitFabFlirty92
    FitFabFlirty92 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER!!!

Did I mention water? lol. Try and drink a FULL glass of water before and during your meals!

And not to be pessimistic, but you're on a diet, so you're going to be hungry more often. Your body is intentionally living off a smaller amount.

I don't see myself as being on a diet, to be honest. I'm trying to make little changes to the way I eat that will add up to a decent difference on the scale. My goal is not to be restrictive.
    the problem is that you have to make changes overall. the weight didn't magically appear (not to be mean) so there have to be changes. I know I felt the same way. The responder stating that "you are on a diet" isn't exactly correct, but if you were used to gorging yourself on crap, then your stomach is distended and you have to shrink it. You have to go hungry for a little bit before your body will adjust. Drinking a full glass of water before and after a meal can help that. I lost 15 pounds doing that without exercise.

Also, bacon and cheese aren't bad persay but the people saying the good fat (mono, poly unsaturated fats) are correct that those fats are more beneficial and easier to burn off than saturated fat. Overall, we do need fat in our diet.

Okay, I see where you're coming from, and I understand that you have to change your overall approach to food -- I know because I've done it before. But I didn't "gorge myself" on anything. I'm not even that overweight -- I'm 167 lbs and shooting for 140.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options
    If you open your diary we might be able to suggest changes to your "healthy diet" that could help you stay full longer.
    '
    I am never opening up my diary. I've heard of too many negative experiences and seen too many people get their personal choices ripped apart.

Why shoudl you care what some bozo, whom you don't know and doesn't know you, says about your food choices? Some critique might be useful. You can easily ignore the meathead comments. I'm sure you're a big girl and can take it.
  • FitFabFlirty92
    FitFabFlirty92 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    If you open your diary we might be able to suggest changes to your "healthy diet" that could help you stay full longer.
    '
    I am never opening up my diary. I've heard of too many negative experiences and seen too many people get their personal choices ripped apart.

Why shoudl you care what some bozo, whom you don't know and doesn't know you, says about your food choices? Some critique might be useful. You can easily ignore the meathead comments. I'm sure you're a big girl and can take it.

I care because I already have a lot of self esteem issues, and some of it is tied to food choices. I got bullied enough in real life, I'm not going to open myself up to criticism and bullying on here, too.