So, are you seeing anyone?

Options

Replies

• xiofett
    xiofett Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    dc465b38-22a8-4462-9e13-c96fe7a92861.jpg

^^^ This. The trick is to glance around conspiratorially first and then whisper it in their ear. The longer you can keep a straight face, the better.

Or just tell them you don't have the time, what with all the voices in your head.
  • Shelgirl001
    Shelgirl001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I haven't gotten this one yet, but I don't spend time many places but work and home. My parents don't seem to want to know until I decide to say something these days. I really think it would depend on the person who asked, the mood I was in and their attitude when asking, as to if I would be bothered by it.
    I seem to be a bit of a long-term monogamist and have just sort of gotten to the end of my latest relationship. I don't think people have any idea of my personal relationship status and seem to be afraid to ask. :)
  • JosephVitte
    JosephVitte Posts: 2,039
    Options
    The only thing that kinda bothers me about it, is figuring out the best way to reply to "why"............because that question usually follows.............and if not, a dead silence makes me feel like there wondering why.....without saying it.
  • Rosa1213
    Rosa1213 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    It doesn't bother me, since I know they're just making conversation, and that phrase has become as common as "How are you?"
    I do always answer something funny when people inquire about my relationship status, just for funsies :)
  • JosephVitte
    Options
    Getting irritated at questions like these makes me realize that most people in my life have no idea what to talk to me about. Thus they make small talk about stuff like this. I also get asked all the time "so where you going next?" (I work in the travel industry). People have no idea how to relate to me.

I'm trying to make myself more relatable, but now that I'm mid-30s, no kids, not married.... really what else do people our age talk about?

Early 30's............but relate to your last line
  • Angieee17
    Angieee17 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I always get "when are you going to have a baby?" :grumble:

Me too! :ohwell:
  • Rosa1213
    Rosa1213 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Getting irritated at questions like these makes me realize that most people in my life have no idea what to talk to me about. Thus they make small talk about stuff like this. I also get asked all the time "so where you going next?" (I work in the travel industry). People have no idea how to relate to me.

I'm trying to make myself more relatable, but now that I'm mid-30s, no kids, not married.... really what else do people our age talk about?
    I guess I kind of see what you mean, but maybe you aren't giving others enough credit.
    I think there are lots of things to talk about that are ageless, like books, the Mars Curiosity rover, the upcoming presidential election...
    :)
  • Marc713
    Marc713 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I think you are being defensive. Someone is trying to make conversation with you. They weren't trying to be offensive. I think if you are positive and happy with your life you simply say I'm happy being single, or I'm happy dating and meeting new interesting people...or on the flip side, you are all bitter and jaded and negative.

Happiness is mostly just state of mind.
  • JosephVitte
    Options
    I think you are being defensive. Someone is trying to make conversation with you. They weren't trying to be offensive. I think if you are positive and happy with your life you simply say I'm happy being single, or I'm happy dating and meeting new interesting people...or on the flip side, you are all bitter and jaded and negative.

Happiness is mostly just state of mind.

I don't think you have to be "all bitter and jaded and negative" to not say "I'm happy being single".

There are so many mediums in life. Maybe I'm not "happy" being single, but maybe I'm not all bitter/jaded/negative.

Maybe I'm more interested in the right person for me, then a person. And that my friend, is not always the easiest thing to explain these days!
  • MyPaperBleedsInk
    MyPaperBleedsInk Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    People don't really ask me.... I don't know if they just assume that I'll forever be single, or what.
    And I never liked how people would constantly update their relationship status on Facebook.... one night they're complicated... a few minutes later single.... then in an hour or two back in the relationship or in a new one. Never saw the point.
    However now I'm starting to get into one, and all I want to do is talk about it or have others ask me about it.
  • JosephVitte
    Options
    People don't really ask me.... I don't know if they just assume that I'll forever be single, or what.
    And I never liked how people would constantly update their relationship status on Facebook.... one night they're complicated... a few minutes later single.... then in an hour or two back in the relationship or in a new one. Never saw the point.
    However now I'm starting to get into one, and all I want to do is talk about it or have others ask me about it.

lol, there's a "complicated" option for facebook relationship status...........wow, lol. Glad I never joined. (for so many other reasons really)
  • SmartWhatever
    SmartWhatever Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I WAS seeing someone...
    He's in prison now
  • Faericn_Rising
    Options
    It's just the opposite for me; I seriously think my folks wish I'd become a lonely cat-lady and never date again. (3 kids, never been married, boyfriend's 15 yrs younger than me). They'll ask about anything except my relationship. ANYTHING.

"So how's your jade plant doing any new sprouts yet?" +_+

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
  • awdamm
    awdamm Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    i see dead people!!!!
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    I always get "when are you going to have a baby?" :grumble:

me too. but the doctor told me I got things all wrong. turns out I'm not a seahorse. true story.
  • Kym1610
    Kym1610 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    There are a variety of these types of questions...

When your young (and or single) it's "Are you seeing anyone", as you get older it becomes "so when are you getting married", If/When you get married (or are in a long term relationship it becomes "so when are you are having kinds"

All of which annoy me
  • chauncyrenayCHANGED
    chauncyrenayCHANGED Posts: 788 Member
    Options

*Very insightful! I think this may be a big part of the problem.

**Saying, "No one special" is a perfect response! When I'm dating I always lie and say that I'm not seeing anyone. I don't enjoy doing this, but I'd just rather not answer questions about the guy I'm seeing. If I feel like talking about him I will. Also, if I'm single, saying "No one special" works just perfectly, too! I love it!

***I didn't expand on it, but a lot of you expressed frustration on when people ask about when you'll have more children. If the blog gets written, I was definitely planning on that being a part of it. When people are single, others want to know if you will get in a relationship, then they want to know when you are getting married, then when are you having kids, more kids, going to stop having kids... I never ask these questions, because in my opinion, all of them are personal and rather invasive. I did want to get your perspective on them, because I realize that so many people ask these questions, it must not be a generally touchy subject.

I appreciate all of your responses!
  • solyhhit
    solyhhit Posts: 97 Member
    Options

So how's the weather?

Boy I really had some tasty prunes the other day!

Did you have a BM today?

Etc, etc, etc.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    It doesn't get better. I now hear "So when's the wedding"??

At least we've told EVERYBODY we are never having children, so hopefully that one will never come up.
  • supahstar71
    supahstar71 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    It doesn't get better. I now hear "So when's the wedding"??

At least we've told EVERYBODY we are never having children, so hopefully that one will never come up.

It doesn't work to say you're never having children. They still ask because they're convinced you will change your mind. :grumble:

I promise not to ask you. :flowerforyou: