iPhone 5 vs Samsung Galaxy S3

Replies

• _Tuyana_
    _Tuyana_ Posts: 83 Member
    Can you back up your S3 to an online source like with the iPhone (the Cloud)?

Dropbox?
  • _Tuyana_
    _Tuyana_ Posts: 83 Member
    I really like Techradar.com reviews. check them out for iphone5 and S3

Edited to say, after reading both reviews, I want the galaxy. I've got a mid-range android that didn't come with os upgrades, so it's getting a bit obsolete
  • _JR_
    _JR_ Posts: 830 Member
    Can you back up your S3 to an online source like with the iPhone (the Cloud)?

Yes you can back your phone up to your Gmail account

Ok. I'm adding a 2nd phone line, don't want another iP4, but don't want to wait 4 weeks for the iP5. So S3 was looking more appealing. The online backup saved my *kitten* once.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    I have a Samsung. I love it!
  • tr33p1g
    tr33p1g Posts: 85
    Both are great an you won't go wrong with either. I'm sticking with iPhone mainly because of the amount of apps i've paid for.
  • fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    Do you really NEED to pay all those hard earned, expensive $$$ to pack a mini computer in your pocket. Think about it. First, do the MATH. A 70.00 per month "everything plan" is actually going to hit your bank account for about $130.00 every month. Next, consider how much you also may be paying for cable TV service and internet every month. If you have those two options, you are adding about $130-160.00/month to your budget. That doesn't include car payments, car insurance & operating costs, gas/oil/serving, rent, food, medication, transportation to/from work, entertainment, clothing expenses (cleaning, etc) due to your job. I dumped cable tV a couple of months ago, hit the auto-channel programming button on the remote & still get tons of channels because I kept the internet only service. Dumped the two year cell phone contract and now pay a FLAT $50.00/everything prepaid contract phone cost. I just buy a refill card every month. I never see that long list of extra taxes and fees that are tacked onto a contract phone. Got a Roku 2 little box & connected it to the tv ~~~~ Voila! I get tons of choices for all kinds of free videos, movies, internet radio, Pandora music, etc.

Be kinder to yourself, do you really need to have all the latest technology? You're addicted if you do and it's costing you a bundle. It makes you a slave to expensive technology toys.
  • spozzybear
    spozzybear Posts: 216 Member
    Do you really NEED to pay all those hard earned, expensive $$$ to pack a mini computer in your pocket. Think about it. First, do the MATH. A 70.00 per month "everything plan" is actually going to hit your bank account for about $130.00 every month. Next, consider how much you also may be paying for cable TV service and internet every month. If you have those two options, you are adding about $130-160.00/month to your budget. That doesn't include car payments, car insurance & operating costs, gas/oil/serving, rent, food, medication, transportation to/from work, entertainment, clothing expenses (cleaning, etc) due to your job. I dumped cable tV a couple of months ago, hit the auto-channel programming button on the remote & still get tons of channels because I kept the internet only service. Dumped the two year cell phone contract and now pay a FLAT $50.00/everything prepaid contract phone cost. I just buy a refill card every month. I never see that long list of extra taxes and fees that are tacked onto a contract phone. Got a Roku 2 little box & connected it to the tv ~~~~ Voila! I get tons of choices for all kinds of free videos, movies, internet radio, Pandora music, etc.

Be kinder to yourself, do you really need to have all the latest technology? You're addicted if you do and it's costing you a bundle. It makes you a slave to expensive technology toys.

I haven't had a new phone in 4 years, and never ever had a smartphone. I have always had second-hand bottom of the range phones so I'm definitely not an addict, I just want to treat myself for once, but thanks for your concern :happy:
  • paint_it_black
    paint_it_black Posts: 208 Member
    I had the samsung and loved it, but the screen failed. I returned it to Samsung and they claimed it was water damaged, none of water indicators had been triggered though. They then went on to send me a list of possible causes of water ingress that would invalidate your warranty without it being possible to tell from a visual inspection

Dropping your phone in water or a puddle - Fair enough
    Spilling liquid onto your phone - Again nothing out of the ordinary here
    Using your phone while its raining, misty or foggy. - I live in Scotland, so that really means i can't EVER take my phone outside.
    Keeping your phone in a kitchen while cooking - Well that makes those downloaded cooking apps pointless
    Leaving your phone in the car over night - Well if i'm not allowed to take it outside, where else should i put it when i go camping?
    Having your phone on your body while exercising - Not much point downloading sports tracker apps either then, huh Samsung?

Unless you plan to wrap it up in bubble wrap stay away from this phone. Get a Motorola Droid Razr, its easily as good as the S3 but all its components are waterproofed, its got as kevlar back and a super tough glass screen.
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Or just get mobile phone insurance, which for me comes as part of my bank account package.

I have the Samsung Galaxy Nexus, which is nigh on identical to the s3.... But it's google branded and is better if you want to be the first to get upgrades to the android os.
  • WeekndOVOXO
    WeekndOVOXO Posts: 779 Member
    Note:

If you're not techy or too lazy to do your due dilligence to look up what are the necessary things you need to do for your phone to work properly then I do suggest the Iphone as it has one of the easiest interface out there so it's really simple to use.
  • paint_it_black
    paint_it_black Posts: 208 Member
    Or just get mobile phone insurance, which for me comes as part of my bank account package.

I have the Samsung Galaxy Nexus, which is nigh on identical to the s3.... But it's google branded and is better if you want to be the first to get upgrades to the android os.

Having mobile phone insurance doesn't change the fact this phone is ridiculously sensitive to moisture, even in the air. I guess it depends on your lifestyle but i'm outdoors a lot, so i need a phone that won't just drop dead and need sent off for repair just because i live in a damp climate.
  • StrongerThanThor
    StrongerThanThor Posts: 544 Member
    iJoke5 vs Galaxy S3?
    THE HECK!! GO FOR S3
  • My choice, IPhone as everything else is just a copy (despite ridiculous prices and hype), theres a good comparison of the two by protect your bubble http://www.prweb.com/releases/2012/9/prweb9930755.htm
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Got the S3 and love it. Seriously though make sure you get a good screen shield, screen cracks soooo easily! X
  • I have had a series of iPhones and Blackberrys but will be making the switch to Android and the S3 soon for no other reason than I am "over" the iPhone and the fact that everywhere you look people have them. I like to be a little different..... :)

To be a little different and just follow everyone onto the S3? That's not really being too different is it :)

I love my iPhone 5 it works great. Uber fast (benchmarks prove its fastest phone out there currently), uber thin.

So easy to use, yet so powerful. I don't care about a little more customisation. If I do I can always jailbreak it!
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    I have a Droid but looking to change.
  • nedde
    nedde Posts: 27
    samsungs has better specifications, external memory, bigger screen, awesome camera, great apps, plus whatever you need to get as an extra - car holder, stylus - you can get it all cheap at any shop with mobile gadgets while apple is apple - always "exclusive" and expensive :-) Samsung GS3 is absolutely AWESOME I've got one myself x

also, i phone 5 is dual core and gs3 is quad core which basically means that in simple tasks using just one or two apps both phones are ok (family member has IP5) but if you're properly multitasking - samsung is way faster :)
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Can someone tell me which one has the best camera?
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    the galaxy is doing so well that apple has a lawsuit against them. saying its a copy. like all techn does not do that. and tv, art, music, ppl...etc.

i want the galaxy myself. i'm the only none smart phone in fam right now. holding out for one i like enough to fork out that cash.

my fam has the iphone, i played with it.. and i hate it. it annoys me.
  • S3