Registered Dietitian in TX here to answer questions.

Options

Replies

• fattofit20
    Options
    Bump for later
  • tytaniafairy
    Options
    Hi . I just recently found out I have a fatty liver . What is the best diet and excercise routine for this . The Dr said it is reversible. He said it was caused by obesity and carbs . So he said I have to cut them. I'm sorry to ask but I'm new to this and don't want to die from this problem ....

Well then you came to the right place. MFP is a great website and if you keep logging your food, you are doing the best thing you can to lose weight. There is no "best" cookie cutter plan. The best plan is the one that you'll do and you enjoy doing.

Thx. I am trying to cut out cholesterol and fat and man is it hard ...blessings
  • Pooj_K
    Pooj_K Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    hi Tony , can I drink whey protein shake more than once in a day? I dont eat meat so I kind of struggle to get my protein even though i eat eggs/beans ..

Absolutely. There is nothing wrong with having more than one shake per day. Alternately, you could also just try adding another scoop of protein you are already consuming.

If you get tired of protein shakes, try expanding your tastes for egg dishes, dairy, and tofu.

Thanks ! Could you suggest a nice protein powder with low carbs for women? I dont want to bulk up..
  • leaffan12
    leaffan12 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Bump for later! Thank you for answering our questions
  • HappilyLifts
    HappilyLifts Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    bump to read when I'm more awake
  • recee96
    recee96 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Bump for later..great advice!
  • DLKeeble
    DLKeeble Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    My husband is 5'8" currently fluctuating between 195 and 197. He walks about 20 miles a week and is doing P90X. He is into 6 weeks of it. How much should he be eating and what percent of that should be protein.
    edit to add: he is 54, if that has any bearing.

Thanks
  • andreachirillo
    andreachirillo Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Bumpity Bump!
  • stacestaceey
    Options
    I have a severe back disability ( had 3x surgeries and the last a fusion) and because of this need to use a walker and cane to move and have to lay frequently throughout the day to calm back down so, I can't get much physical exerscise but still want to lose weight ( im 5'4 and 190 but, i did start out at 237) Because of my physical limitations i figured i should focus more on what i'm eating so, my question is: what should my caloric intake be, keeping in mind i am probably below sedentary. The way i lost weight before was not healthy ( i was barely eating because of pain and sleeping) and do not want to do an all or nothing attitude.
  • stacestaceey
    Options
    also, should my macro intake be the same as recommended by mfp if i am below sedentary?
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    BUMP for future reading. I may end up asking questions later.
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Actually, I can think of one question right now. For a diabetic, without cutting out carbs 100%, what is a safe goal recommendation for carb amounts in a day?
  • sarahslim100
    sarahslim100 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Hi im 31, 63kg, lost 7kg. Just wondering re: if too much protein per day is a problem. Esp. Eggs with high cholesterol.
  • FoodandFitness
    FoodandFitness Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Hi im 31, 63kg, lost 7kg. Just wondering re: if too much protein per day is a problem. Esp. Eggs with high cholesterol.

People with normal kidney function can consume high amounts of protein with no problem. Dietary cholesterol has much less impact on blood cholesterol levels than once thought and eating eggs will not spike up your blood cholesterol.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Actually, I can think of one question right now. For a diabetic, without cutting out carbs 100%, what is a safe goal recommendation for carb amounts in a day?

That is very dependent on the individual, their diet and medication. That would be a good question to ask the medical professionals helping you to manage your diabetes.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    I have a severe back disability ( had 3x surgeries and the last a fusion) and because of this need to use a walker and cane to move and have to lay frequently throughout the day to calm back down so, I can't get much physical exerscise but still want to lose weight ( im 5'4 and 190 but, i did start out at 237) Because of my physical limitations i figured i should focus more on what i'm eating so, my question is: what should my caloric intake be, keeping in mind i am probably below sedentary. The way i lost weight before was not healthy ( i was barely eating because of pain and sleeping) and do not want to do an all or nothing attitude.

Start off with what MFP recommends for you. If you don't lose weight after a few weeks, cut calories 20% and monitor. Eat high protein.

Losing weight should help you manage your back pain or at least give you more mobility and stamina to be up longer. Maybe even help you to work towards some sort of structure physical therapy or exercise.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Hi . I just recently found out I have a fatty liver . What is the best diet and excercise routine for this . The Dr said it is reversible. He said it was caused by obesity and carbs . So he said I have to cut them. I'm sorry to ask but I'm new to this and don't want to die from this problem ....

Well then you came to the right place. MFP is a great website and if you keep logging your food, you are doing the best thing you can to lose weight. There is no "best" cookie cutter plan. The best plan is the one that you'll do and you enjoy doing.

Thx. I am trying to cut out cholesterol and fat and man is it hard ...blessings

So based on what you said, you're cutting out carbs, fats, and cholesterol from your diet. That sounds terrible and that maybe you are lost on how to get started. You realize, that would be a diet consisting of almost nothing.

If you're that lost, you just need to start over and hire a RD or weight loss clinic to help you. Consider hiring a PT to help you with exercise. Good luck.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    My husband is 5'8" currently fluctuating between 195 and 197. He walks about 20 miles a week and is doing P90X. He is into 6 weeks of it. How much should he be eating and what percent of that should be protein.
    edit to add: he is 54, if that has any bearing.

Thanks

Just have him follow what MFP recommends and increase his protein to be about 150-190g per day.
  • laurapariseau
    laurapariseau Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My name is Laura and I'm from Ft Lauderdale, FL. I am new to the site and really look forward to using all the tools available. Currently I am 48 years old, 5'2" tall and weigh 149 lbs (up from 141 this same time last year). One of my goals is to become an RD by 51 and am well on my way taking the necessary coursework to enter a dietetics program at Florida International University next year. I would love to loose the 20 lbs before I finish my education and totally believe in a combination of nutrition and exercise.

I would like to verify that I am on the right track. I think, 1200 calories per day divided up into 55% carbs, 35% protein and 10% fat is a good approach for me and my goal is to burn 3500 calories per week in exercise through cardio and strength training. My question is how realistic is this goal?

Thank you.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    hi Tony , can I drink whey protein shake more than once in a day? I dont eat meat so I kind of struggle to get my protein even though i eat eggs/beans ..

Absolutely. There is nothing wrong with having more than one shake per day. Alternately, you could also just try adding another scoop of protein you are already consuming.

If you get tired of protein shakes, try expanding your tastes for egg dishes, dairy, and tofu.

Thanks ! Could you suggest a nice protein powder with low carbs for women? I dont want to bulk up..

Optimum Nutrition whey protein. It is tasty, mixes well, low in carbs and fat, and doesn't cost a fortune. Everything you want in a protein powder.