Registered Dietitian in TX here to answer questions.

Options

Replies

• Dlacenere
    Dlacenere Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I typically am around 36 g of fat per day on average, can you explain your theory on going higher on fat?
  • FoodandFitness
    FoodandFitness Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I typically am around 36 g of fat per day on average, can you explain your theory on going higher on fat?

Sure.

I generally figure .3-.5g of fat per pound of bodyweight for a lean individual. Which, 36g of fat would fall into that range for you.
    Fats are still necessary to maintain health, athletic performance, and prevent FA deficiency. I don't recommend going below .3g per pound of weight for an extended period of time. Very low fat diets over extended periods can hinder performance.
  • Dlacenere
    Dlacenere Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Great, thanks a lot!
  • Marc713
    Marc713 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    *bump for bookmark*
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Hi Tony! Thanks for answering questions. I'm wondering about "complete" proteins. I don't eat a lot of meat, and I get a lot of my protein from veggies, nuts & legumes. I supplement with a whey protein powder and I do eat dairy, eggs, and meat sometimes, but in my daily macros, things like chickpeas tend to make a significant chunk of my protein intake. Here are my questions:

- Is the distinction between "complete" and "incomplete" that important for the average person?

- If so, how can I make my "incomplete" proteins "complete" without resorting to a heavy meat/dairy-based diet, or eating a ton of quinoa every day?

Thanks!
    Brandy

Hi, Brandy.

A "complete" protein is a source or combination of proteins that contain all of the essential amino acids in adequate amounts. An "incomplete" protein lacks one or more of the essential AAs and are usually plant-based proteins. You can match different plant based proteins to get some amino acid overlap and make it into a complete protein. An example would be beans and rice.

As a general rule of thumb, if your plant based protein is coming from a variety of sources, you are going to be ok. It may not be a bad idea to keep supplementing with a scoop of whey once per day.
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    What do you think about zig zag diet.Will that work?
  • carolynfromtexas
    Options
    ok will back off and just stay at 15 laps for awhile, did 11 today (which is 1/4 mile, some stretching, they don't feel too bad, so, I guess I just over did it, and if I add one lap at a time, that will probably be ok...
    thanks for the advice will check on my protein intake
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    What do you think about zig zag diet.Will that work?

I feel like the best approach to dieting is a simple one. Maintaining the same amount of calories in a deficit every day rather than calorie cycling would be a simpler approach. It really all comes down to personal preference though.

I'm assuming that's what you mean by zig zag- calorie cycling.
  • mazie61
    mazie61 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    bump
  • solson61
    solson61 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • WeatherGirl88
    WeatherGirl88 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8.5 and weigh about 110- 111. I'm 18, female and my life is stressful. Based on that info alone my nutritionist recommended I eat (net) 2480 calories a day to maintain my weight. I still have trouble believing that. Especially because, today, after burning about 450 cals, I've only been hungry to eat about 1850... or a net of 1370ish. Should I trust those numbers? I don't know if they're just going to make me suddenly gain ten pounds. Not that I don't need to gain weight, it's just that she said that I wouldn't start gaining until I hit a net of 27-2900 a day.
  • 1crazymom
    1crazymom Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    bumping for later
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to gain muscle and lose fat at the same? I've read it wasn't. I was hoping this would explain why I've only lost 2 pounds in over a month with the above diet (whole grains/fruits/veggies/lean meats). I've begun weight training twice a week and my cardio mixes in strength. Could it be I am adding muscle whilst losing fat, or is the more likely assumption that the food I eat does not match its advertised caloric intake?
  • raindancer
    raindancer Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    How in the heck do you merge a low purine diet and a diet for high cholesterol? I get confused one says eat whole wheat the other says avoid whole wheat. Oats are good, oats are bad. It is confusing.
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Tony -
    I am a 24 year old female 5'3" and 111 pounds. I am trying to get down to 105 pounds like I was a few years ago (was healthier than ever back then). I gained a bit of weight (got up to 130 lbs) and 3 months ago decided to start exercising. Started out doing 30 minutes of elliptical and burned 300 calories 5 days a week...

NOW (for the past month) I do a full hour (60 min) on elliptical (high intensity) and burn 700+ calories 5 days a week. I also do a lot of weights and abs. I am eating about 1,100 calories per days and I drink tons of water... My every day meals look like this:
    Breakfast: 2 waffles and 1 apple
    Lunch (ONLY ON DAYS I DONT WORK OUT): 1 can of very low sodium tuna with light sour cream and 1 apple
    Dinner: lean cuisine (240 cal) , apple, and 5 prunes
    Snack: 1 tbsp whipped peanut butter on whole wheat toast (usually 1 slice but sometimes 2)

So the problem is I have stopped losing weight. I got down to 110 but had my period and gained 6 lb of water weight, now back down to 111 4 days after. What do you think the problem could be? I have a pretty big calorie deficit. My goal is 105.. is it even possible at this point?
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    I'm 5'8.5 and weigh about 110- 111. I'm 18, female and my life is stressful. Based on that info alone my nutritionist recommended I eat (net) 2480 calories a day to maintain my weight. I still have trouble believing that. Especially because, today, after burning about 450 cals, I've only been hungry to eat about 1850... or a net of 1370ish. Should I trust those numbers? I don't know if they're just going to make me suddenly gain ten pounds. Not that I don't need to gain weight, it's just that she said that I wouldn't start gaining until I hit a net of 27-2900 a day.

It all depends. I'm sure your nutritionist has a better insight into all the factors that made her choose those values. I have a female client right now that does bikini fitness competitions and she is maintaining her weight at 2500 calories.

You have a very low body weight for your height. If you plan on gaining weight, which it sounds like you eventually are, I would recommend taking up a good weight lifting program so that you can build some good lean muscle in the process.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Is it possible to gain muscle and lose fat at the same? I've read it wasn't. I was hoping this would explain why I've only lost 2 pounds in over a month with the above diet (whole grains/fruits/veggies/lean meats). I've begun weight training twice a week and my cardio mixes in strength. Could it be I am adding muscle whilst losing fat, or is the more likely assumption that the food I eat does not match its advertised caloric intake?

Gaining muscle requires a caloric surplus. Fat loss requires a caloric deficit. Sometimes these cycles of anabolism and catabolism can be short, so it may appear that we are gaining muscle and losing fat "at the same time."

It also all depends where you are in your phyisque. If you're already lean and lost 2 pounds in a month, that's not bad at all. If you're obese, 2 pounds in a month is pretty slow. The general rule of thumb is if you want to lose more weight, increase your deficit a bit. Monitor. Adjust as needed.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    How in the heck do you merge a low purine diet and a diet for high cholesterol? I get confused one says eat whole wheat the other says avoid whole wheat. Oats are good, oats are bad. It is confusing.

Continue to eat a low purine diet with as much nutrient dense foods as you can within your limitations.

Lower your lipid cholesterol by exercising and creating a caloric deficit to lose weight. Don't focus on avoiding foods with high cholesterol because dietary cholesterol and your blood cholesterol are two different things. Your genetics, weight, and activity level determine your blood cholesterol more than how many eggs you eat per day, or what have you.

Now remember, you should be doing whatever your doctor told you to do. But here's a link to a low-purine diet guide for patients at UPMC http://www.upmc.com/patients-visitors/education/nutrition/Pages/low-purine-diet.aspx
  • bcweisen
    bcweisen Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Hey Tony !

I'm a fellow Texan close to Dallas :)

My question is about sugar. I have a significant amount of belly fat to shed and I am convinced that there is a correlation between sugar and belly fat. Correct or no? Furthermore, I'm worried because more than one serving of fresh fruit puts me over my daily allowance for sugar. Is that still okay and if so, how many servings are too much?

Also, I am a tested "pre-diabetic". Am I genetically destined for diabetes or can I beat an early diagnosis?

Thanks !

I am concerned that I am always under on carbs but over on sugar... could this be preventing my weight loss?
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Hey Tony !

I'm a fellow Texan close to Dallas :)

My question is about sugar. I have a significant amount of belly fat to shed and I am convinced that there is a correlation between sugar and belly fat. Correct or no? Furthermore, I'm worried because more than one serving of fresh fruit puts me over my daily allowance for sugar. Is that still okay and if so, how many servings are too much?

Also, I am a tested "pre-diabetic". Am I genetically destined for diabetes or can I beat an early diagnosis?

Thanks !

I am concerned that I am always under on carbs but over on sugar... could this be preventing my weight loss?

No. Pay attention to your total calories. Sugar does not inherently cause fat gain. It's all about calorie balance. You either have to eat less or exercise more or a combination of the 2 to get back to losing fat.