Registered Dietitian in TX here to answer questions.

Options

Replies

• FoodandFitness
    FoodandFitness Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I am 23 years old, 5'5", weigh ~154 pounds, and do not know my BF%. I am female and have no medical conditions that I know of besides lactose intolerance.

My measurements:

Breast: 38
    Waist:28
    Hips: 38
    Butt: 40

My goal is to be around 135 - 140, toned, within healthy BMI, etc.

Thanks so much ahead of time!

1. Since I don't consume ANY dairy, do I need to be taking any kind of supplements to replace the nutrients dairy would normally give me, or is it unnecessary?

2. On a typical day I net around 1200 calories, give or take. I eat a luna bar for breakfast, a turkey sandwich with avocado for lunch (around 400 calories), fruit for a snack (peaches or grapefruit), and generally a chicken sandwich (3 grams of fat, 290 calories) and more fruit--- the rest of my day I fill with protein (rolled turkey breast), veggies (usually carrots), or snacks (sugar free). I pretty much eat the same food every day. Sometimes I will eat weight-control oatmeal with almond milk and bananas to up my caloric intake (and for a yummy snack).

I work out four times a week; a total of four hours. 2 hour of cardio and 2 hours of strength training. I burn, on average, 500 - 600 calories a class (HRM).

I've tried tracking my macros, but it's so complicated for me. I work about 10 hrs a day and try to work out a lot, so I don't have time to prepare. I can't wrap my brain around 300 cals of protein or whathaveyou. I'm not clever enough, I suppose, but I just can't figure it out.

Is this an unhealthy diet?

THANK YOU. Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyoooou.

Unless you're eating foods high or fortified in calcium and vitamin D, you should supplement those nutrients. Most females are deficient in them anyways. You can track calcium on MFP.

You eat a diet consisting of whole grains, lean meats, fruits and vegetables. Assuming you have a variety of food choices, yes, that is a healthy diet.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Hey Tony,

This isn't quite a nutrition question, but perhaps you have some insight. I'm curious about your opinion and experience with body fat analysis. For the past couple of months, I've been using the body fat calculator on mbf, which is nearly the same as the one I find on the navy website calculator. The other day, however, I had my body fat measured by impedance (standing on the metal plates, not hand held). The calculator usually gives me about 27.5% body fat for my current measurements. The impedance analyzer gave me a 17.5%.

What do you think is more reliable. Other than the usual factors that can influence the impedance measurement, I find that I have less fat stored below my waist than above, and from what I've seen, impedance analyzers give consistently lower ratings. Would you recommend any particular method or combination to use? I am getting close to my goal weight, but still don't have the body I was hoping for, so I'm thinking I need to emphasize fitness and body fat reduction rather than focus on weight.

Are you confusing BMI with body fat %? Body fat % is something you have to actually measure.

BEI (bodyfat analyzer devices) have ranging degrees of error. The handheld ones are usually more accurate than the scales.

Whether you use BEI, calipers, underwater weighing, DEXA, etc. to measure your bodyfat, you should be consistent with what you use and analyze results as trends, not absolutes. Use body fat measurements and a mirror as your guide.
  • Jester522
    Jester522 Posts: 392
    Options
    Awesome - we need people like you here.

Question; I fast 20 hours a day and consume all my calories in a 4 hour window. What's your thoughts on this?
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Awesome - we need people like you here.

Question; I fast 20 hours a day and consume all my calories in a 4 hour window. What's your thoughts on this?

I think its great! IF for the win.
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Can my persistent hypoglycemia lead to type 2 diabetes? I am finding the hypoglycemia is the biggest issue if I eat candy. Within a few hours (max) I've got all the usuall symptoms and glucose tablets are the only rapid answer. Can I reverse whatever damage I've done to my liver/pancreas, or whatever it is I'm ruining with it? :)
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to gain muscle and lose fat at the same? I've read it wasn't. I was hoping this would explain why I've only lost 2 pounds in over a month with the above diet. I've begun weight training twice a week and my cardio mixes in strength. Could it be I am adding muscle whilst losing fat, or is the more likely assumption that the food I eat does not match its advertised caloric intake?
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Heya Tony!

Thanks for answering questions. I'm wondering where I should set my daily carb limit for a 1200 calorie diet and how many I should be eating per meal.

I DID have a very high A1C back in March but with diet and exercise the last two have been in the low 5%s ad my Doc says I don't need my glucophage anylonger.

Also, should I keep each meal/snack even on the carbs or is it OK now to have say lunch @ 50 or 60carbs and a dinner @ like 20 carbs.

Thanks so much for your help!
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Can my persistent hypoglycemia lead to type 2 diabetes? I am finding the hypoglycemia is the biggest issue if I eat candy. Within a few hours (max) I've got all the usuall symptoms and glucose tablets are the only rapid answer. Can I reverse whatever damage I've done to my liver/pancreas, or whatever it is I'm ruining with it? :)

Obesity and sedentary activity leading to insulin resistance is generally the biggest cause of diabetes. Hypoglycemia is a drop in blood glucose levels which would mean that your insulin and receptor sites are working just fine. Diabetics are HYPERglycemic.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Is it possible to gain muscle and lose fat at the same? I've read it wasn't. I was hoping this would explain why I've only lost 2 pounds in over a month with the above diet. I've begun weight training twice a week and my cardio mixes in strength. Could it be I am adding muscle whilst losing fat, or is the more likely assumption that the food I eat does not match its advertised caloric intake?

Building muscle requires a calorie surplus, losing fat requires a deficit.

Its easy for a beginner to build a lot of strength when the begin a workout program, but a lot of this is coming from a neural adaptation and not an increase in muscle size.

That's not to say you can't generally "Recomp" your body by having little microcycles of surplus and deficit built into your week. Maybe this is happening naturally for you.
  • sarahmichelexo
    sarahmichelexo Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Bump - hope you'll still be here tomorrow!
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    You said alcohol will help as a diuretic. Why do I gain a couple pounds of water weight when I drink?

Could be your drinks have a lot of extra calories/carbs in them or you're eating something when you drink?
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Hi Tony, thanks for doing this! I've been looking for a trainer or nutritionist to answer this question. I want to build muscle and tone up, not necessarily lose weight, but losing fat would be great. Do I want to create a calorie plan to make me gain weight, maintain, or lose weight? At first I was thinking I wanted to lose about 5 lbs, but I really want to see defined muscles, so maybe this isn't the right route? I've always been really skinny but with zero muscle tone. Thanks for your advice!
    My Stats-
    Height: 5'9"
    Weight: 134lbs
    BMI= 20
    Body Fat= 22%

PS- If you check out my diary you can see that I often struggle to get enough calories, and I eat as much as I can. I'm not really sure how if MFP is right on how many calories I should be getting.... Any suggestions?

If you want to see more definition, you need to reduce bodyfat. Keep lifting heavy and create a calorie deficit to achieve this.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Heya Tony!

Thanks for answering questions. I'm wondering where I should set my daily carb limit for a 1200 calorie diet and how many I should be eating per meal.

I DID have a very high A1C back in March but with diet and exercise the last two have been in the low 5%s ad my Doc says I don't need my glucophage anylonger.

Also, should I keep each meal/snack even on the carbs or is it OK now to have say lunch @ 50 or 60carbs and a dinner @ like 20 carbs.

It depends. Are you diabetic? Taking insulin? Any other meds that are going to affect your glucose sensitivity? If so, you should talk with your doctor and dietitian about a diet specific to your needs. My advice in the meantime, is to keep testing your glucose often, and make those adjustments based on that. For example, if you're consistently running low during a certain time, you can include a snack or eat a bigger meal beforehand. I hope that helps!

Edit- Congrats on your achievements so far!!!
  • bre1985200
    Options
    Hello i am 27 years old weigh 211 i am 5'5 i just starting going to the gym again i am trying to lose what i call my baby pouch i was wondering what machine would be best for me to lose the baby pouch? I am trying to also lose more then just that i would like to get to 130lbs if you could please let me know what machines would help out with that i would like the help thank you in advance, i have been using the treadmill, and the elliptical machine and i have started yoga as well.
  • bre1985200
    Options
    Hello i am 27 years old weigh 211 i am 5'5 i just starting going to the gym again i am trying to lose what i call my baby pouch i was wondering what machine would be best for me to lose the baby pouch? I am trying to also lose more then just that i would like to get to 130lbs if you could please let me know what machines would help out with that i would like the help thank you in advance, i have been using the treadmill, and the elliptical machine and i have started yoga as well.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Heya Tony!

It depends. Are you diabetic? Taking insulin? Any other meds that are going to affect your glucose sensitivity? If so, you should talk with your doctor and dietitian about a diet specific to your needs. My advice in the meantime, is to keep testing your glucose often, and make those adjustments based on that. For example, if you're consistently running low during a certain time, you can include a snack or eat a bigger meal beforehand. I hope that helps!

Edit- Congrats on your achievements so far!!!
  • MrsGriffin67
    MrsGriffin67 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Bump - will read properly later ;-)

me too!

Ditto this!
  • TheNEWMonicaB
    TheNEWMonicaB Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Hi Tony! Thank you so much for your time and expertise. I have been on MFP for almost 16 weeks and have lost 33 lbs so far. I am a 36 year old female, 5'6", and my starting weight was 253, current weight 220. I am not a breakfast eater, never have been, and do not really like most breakfast foods. I am taking Bee Pollen capsules (seems to really curb my appetite) and the directions recommend taking them with food. So, I have been eating breakfast every day in order to take my Bee Pollen in the morning. Almost daily, I have a PB&J sandwich with 2 slices whole wheat bread, 1 tbsp all natural peanut or almond butter, and appx 1 tbsp of blackberry jam (totaling about 260 calories). Sometimes I will also have a 1/2 cup of skim milk. Is that a good way to start the day?

My MFP calorie allowance is 1380 per day right now. How should that be broken down by % of carb, protein, and fat?

Lastly... What is the real deal about Splenda? Ok to use or bad for you? I love iced tea and use Splenda to sweeten it.

Thanks a bunch!!! :happy:
  • tattedchic
    tattedchic Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hi Tony, thanks for doing this! I've been looking for a trainer or nutritionist to answer this question. I want to build muscle and tone up, not necessarily lose weight, but losing fat would be great. Do I want to create a calorie plan to make me gain weight, maintain, or lose weight? At first I was thinking I wanted to lose about 5 lbs, but I really want to see defined muscles, so maybe this isn't the right route? I've always been really skinny but with zero muscle tone. Thanks for your advice!
    My Stats-
    Height: 5'9"
    Weight: 134lbs
    BMI= 20
    Body Fat= 22%

PS- If you check out my diary you can see that I often struggle to get enough calories, and I eat as much as I can. I'm not really sure how if MFP is right on how many calories I should be getting.... Any suggestions?

If you want to see more definition, you need to reduce bodyfat. Keep lifting heavy and create a calorie deficit to achieve this.

Thanks Tony!!
  • carolynfromtexas
    Options
    ok gonna try asking a question about training.
    I have started swimming again after about a year off. I started in August, and was swimming 15 laps (roughly 1/3 mile.) 22 laps are a 1/2 mile. Last week I swam monday and tuesday 15 on monday and 18 on tuesday. My schedule didn't allow me to swim any more last week. On monday I swam 22 laps, pushed to get to that 1/2 mile mark... followed that with 40 min of water aerobics using hand bells the whole time (used to do that for years - and have been doing on mon, wed, friday when I could make it)....this was followed with 10 minutes of hitting a ball back and forth (volleyball style) and then 10 min in the hot tub.
    When I woke up on tuesday, my leg muscles screaming at me, almost siezing up. Got out my Myoflex and rubbed my thighs
    down, and went to the gym and swam 5 laps and did lots of water stretching, then hot tubbed... I swam 10 laps yesterday, and
    did water aerobics...Muscles are a bit tight, but planning on swimming today, was gonna try for 15 laps...see how I do...

So... I read somewhere that I might need more protien, anything else I need to know to keep from them siezing up again...arms are a bit tight also, but not like my thighs, almost couldn't stand they were siezing up so much...
    thanks for any help in this area.