Registered Dietitian in TX here to answer questions.

Options

Replies

• gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Can my persistent hypoglycemia lead to type 2 diabetes? I am finding the hypoglycemia is the biggest issue if I eat candy. Within a few hours (max) I've got all the usuall symptoms and glucose tablets are the only rapid answer. Can I reverse whatever damage I've done to my liver/pancreas, or whatever it is I'm ruining with it? :)

Obesity and sedentary activity leading to insulin resistance is generally the biggest cause of diabetes. Hypoglycemia is a drop in blood glucose levels which would mean that your insulin and receptor sites are working just fine. Diabetics are HYPERglycemic.

As an RD and CDE (Cert. Diabetes Educator) of over 17 yrs, I have to interject a little here. Reactive hypoglycemia IS quite often a precurser for type 2 diabetes. If not properly treated, the over-stressing of the beta cells of the pancreas can lead to insulin resistance and/or a decreased ability to produce adequate insulin. I would suggest the OP reach out to a RD who is also a CDE to get properly educated on prevention of reactive hypoglycemic episodes to reduce pancreatic stress.
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Can my persistent hypoglycemia lead to type 2 diabetes? I am finding the hypoglycemia is the biggest issue if I eat candy. Within a few hours (max) I've got all the usuall symptoms and glucose tablets are the only rapid answer. Can I reverse whatever damage I've done to my liver/pancreas, or whatever it is I'm ruining with it? :)

Obesity and sedentary activity leading to insulin resistance is generally the biggest cause of diabetes. Hypoglycemia is a drop in blood glucose levels which would mean that your insulin and receptor sites are working just fine. Diabetics are HYPERglycemic.

My doc said the problem is the constant swing from sugar spikes to very low blood sugar readings. I forget why he said it could make the switch to diabetes. Something to do with my body constantly producing insulin to try and accomodate it or something like that. Guess next time I'll bring a notebook... LOL
  • FoodandFitness
    FoodandFitness Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Hello i am 27 years old weigh 211 i am 5'5 i just starting going to the gym again i am trying to lose what i call my baby pouch i was wondering what machine would be best for me to lose the baby pouch? I am trying to also lose more then just that i would like to get to 130lbs if you could please let me know what machines would help out with that i would like the help thank you in advance, i have been using the treadmill, and the elliptical machine and i have started yoga as well.

There is no way to spot reduce bodyfat. If you want to lift weights (which I recommend just about everyone do) start with a full body routine composed primarily of compound exercises- big movements.

Lose weight just like anyone else, create a caloric deficit and make adjustments as your body plateaus.

Keep up the good work. If you're inexperienced with weight lifting, consider hiring a personal trainer to show you the basics.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Heya Tony!

Thanks for answering questions. I'm wondering where I should set my daily carb limit for a 1200 calorie diet and how many I should be eating per meal.

I DID have a very high A1C back in March but with diet and exercise the last two have been in the low 5%s ad my Doc says I don't need my glucophage anylonger.

Also, should I keep each meal/snack even on the carbs or is it OK now to have say lunch @ 50 or 60carbs and a dinner @ like 20 carbs.

Thanks so much for your help!

It depends. Are you diabetic? Taking insulin? Any other meds that are going to affect your glucose sensitivity? If so, you should talk with your doctor and dietitian about a diet specific to your needs. My advice in the meantime, is to keep testing your glucose often, and make those adjustments based on that. For example, if you're consistently running low during a certain time, you can include a snack or eat a bigger meal beforehand. I hope that helps!

Edit- Congrats on your achievements so far!!!
    [/quote]

Sorry, tried to respond on my NOOK and it's just not made for that sort of thing. Annyhoooo - I had one high test in March where I was firmly in DIabetic zone. That's when I started changing my diet. The following TWO A1C tests showed me very firmly BELOW diabetic ( diet worked). I just want to know if I can loosen up the reins a little bit and eat some freaking pasta or if I need to stay on the 135 carbs a day never a meal to exceed 35 carbs. I stopped testing my sugars weeks ago since they've been solid for 3 or 4 months. Doctor is thrilled with my progress and says I don't need my oral diabetes meds any longer (never had to take insulin just oral meds).
  • FoodandFitness
    Options

As an RD and CDE (Cert. Diabetes Educator) of over 17 yrs, I have to interject a little here. Reactive hypoglycemia IS quite often a precurser for type 2 diabetes. If not properly treated, the over-stressing of the beta cells of the pancreas can lead to insulin resistance and/or a decreased ability to produce adequate insulin. I would suggest the OP reach out to a RD who is also a CDE to get properly educated on prevention of reactive hypoglycemic episodes to reduce pancreatic stress.

Thank's for interjecting. I didn't think of this when I jumped in on this question.
  • Dlacenere
    Dlacenere Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Hi Tony, I am 42 yrs old, 5'7 and 126 lbs at 18.8% bf. I am trying to lean out a little and get more muscle definition. Do you think having my macros set at 40 carb, 40 protein and 20 % fat is a appropriate to achieve this? I average about 1500-1600 calories on exercise days and have been starting to lift heavier in the last few months.

Thanks!
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Hi Tony! Thank you so much for your time and expertise. I have been on MFP for almost 16 weeks and have lost 33 lbs so far. I am a 36 year old female, 5'6", and my starting weight was 253, current weight 220. I am not a breakfast eater, never have been, and do not really like most breakfast foods. I am taking Bee Pollen capsules (seems to really curb my appetite) and the directions recommend taking them with food. So, I have been eating breakfast every day in order to take my Bee Pollen in the morning. Almost daily, I have a PB&J sandwich with 2 slices whole wheat bread, 1 tbsp all natural peanut or almond butter, and appx 1 tbsp of blackberry jam (totaling about 260 calories). Sometimes I will also have a 1/2 cup of skim milk. Is that a good way to start the day?

My MFP calorie allowance is 1380 per day right now. How should that be broken down by % of carb, protein, and fat?

Lastly... What is the real deal about Splenda? Ok to use or bad for you? I love iced tea and use Splenda to sweeten it.

Thanks a bunch!!! :happy:

1. Whatever foods in whatever manner at whatever frequency or time you want to eat is up to you. If you are hitting your daily calorie and macronutrient goals while still eating a good amount of nutrient dense foods, the rest is pretty much up to your preference to reach your goals.

2. Start with 1g of protein per pound of LBM and about .5g fat per pound of LBM and fill in the rest of your calories with carbohydrates. If you don't want to micro-manage this, then just focus on calories and protein and fill in the rest per your preference.

3. Splenda is just fine. Enjoy it.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    ok gonna try asking a question about training.
    I have started swimming again after about a year off. I started in August, and was swimming 15 laps (roughly 1/3 mile.) 22 laps are a 1/2 mile. Last week I swam monday and tuesday 15 on monday and 18 on tuesday. My schedule didn't allow me to swim any more last week. On monday I swam 22 laps, pushed to get to that 1/2 mile mark... followed that with 40 min of water aerobics using hand bells the whole time (used to do that for years - and have been doing on mon, wed, friday when I could make it)....this was followed with 10 minutes of hitting a ball back and forth (volleyball style) and then 10 min in the hot tub.
    When I woke up on tuesday, my leg muscles screaming at me, almost siezing up. Got out my Myoflex and rubbed my thighs
    down, and went to the gym and swam 5 laps and did lots of water stretching, then hot tubbed... I swam 10 laps yesterday, and
    did water aerobics...Muscles are a bit tight, but planning on swimming today, was gonna try for 15 laps...see how I do...

So... I read somewhere that I might need more protien, anything else I need to know to keep from them siezing up again...arms are a bit tight also, but not like my thighs, almost couldn't stand they were siezing up so much...
    thanks for any help in this area.

Sounds like you just had a bad case of delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS). Fitness is about the right balance of exercise and recovery. Try making smaller steps in your progress. You have to progressively overload your muscles, but not such big jumps that you hurt yourself.

1g of protein per pound you weigh would be the highest amount of protein I would recommend.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Heya Tony!

Thanks for answering questions. I'm wondering where I should set my daily carb limit for a 1200 calorie diet and how many I should be eating per meal.

I DID have a very high A1C back in March but with diet and exercise the last two have been in the low 5%s ad my Doc says I don't need my glucophage anylonger.

Also, should I keep each meal/snack even on the carbs or is it OK now to have say lunch @ 50 or 60carbs and a dinner @ like 20 carbs.

Thanks so much for your help!

It depends. Are you diabetic? Taking insulin? Any other meds that are going to affect your glucose sensitivity? If so, you should talk with your doctor and dietitian about a diet specific to your needs. My advice in the meantime, is to keep testing your glucose often, and make those adjustments based on that. For example, if you're consistently running low during a certain time, you can include a snack or eat a bigger meal beforehand. I hope that helps!

Edit- Congrats on your achievements so far!!!

Sorry, tried to respond on my NOOK and it's just not made for that sort of thing. Annyhoooo - I had one high test in March where I was firmly in DIabetic zone. That's when I started changing my diet. The following TWO A1C tests showed me very firmly BELOW diabetic ( diet worked). I just want to know if I can loosen up the reins a little bit and eat some freaking pasta or if I need to stay on the 135 carbs a day never a meal to exceed 35 carbs. I stopped testing my sugars weeks ago since they've been solid for 3 or 4 months. Doctor is thrilled with my progress and says I don't need my oral diabetes meds any longer (never had to take insulin just oral meds).
    [/quote]

You probably could be more relaxed, but this is really a conversation to be having with the professional that you're currently working with. What does your doctor have to say about this?
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options

Thank's for interjecting. I didn't think of this when I jumped in on this question.

You're welcome! :)
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    3. If you "have tried everything and cannot lose weight" or if you're eating "x amount of calories and still can't lose weight." my answer will always be the same- you are eating too many calories. Be consistent with your current intake and cut by 10-20% while making sure you are getting enough protein. Make sure you are correct with your portion sizes and choosing the right foods in the MFP. In other words, if you can't lose weight- you need to eat less and exercise more.

Thanks for clearing that up, I was going to tell a friend whose only eating 500 cals and running 5 miles a day to take a diet and exercise break, but I'll tell her to stop being a fatty and eating so much

If you really have a friend who is doing this and really can't lose weight then either a) the person is imaginary, b) the person has 0% body fat and 0% muscle mass, or c) the person is lying or d) you live in impossible-land in which case nothing can help either of you. I hope this helps!
  • FoodandFitness
    Options

My doc said the problem is the constant swing from sugar spikes to very low blood sugar readings. I forget why he said it could make the switch to diabetes. Something to do with my body constantly producing insulin to try and accomodate it or something like that. Guess next time I'll bring a notebook... LOL

Like the above poster DGRDRD said, your condition could very well be a precursor to diabetes. Sorry, I misunderstood your question and thought you had some terminology mixed up and I didn't really answer your question. But my advice is to continue this conversation with your doctor and even further would be to work with a RD, CDE if you need help controlling your issues.
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Hi Tony! Thanks for answering questions. I'm wondering about "complete" proteins. I don't eat a lot of meat, and I get a lot of my protein from veggies, nuts & legumes. I supplement with a whey protein powder and I do eat dairy, eggs, and meat sometimes, but in my daily macros, things like chickpeas tend to make a significant chunk of my protein intake. Here are my questions:

- Is the distinction between "complete" and "incomplete" that important for the average person?

- If so, how can I make my "incomplete" proteins "complete" without resorting to a heavy meat/dairy-based diet, or eating a ton of quinoa every day?

Thanks!
    Brandy
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options

You probably could be more relaxed, but this is really a conversation to be having with the professional that you're currently working with. What does your doctor have to say about this?
    [/quote]
    My doctor said I was doing great, keep doing what I'm doing, and he'd see me in 6 months....
    I love my Dr, but I have yet to find a regular doctor who seems to have any real knowledge in nutrition (other than the very basics).
  • TheCaren
    Options

Like the above poster DGRDRD said, your condition could very well be a precursor to diabetes. Sorry, I misunderstood your question and thought you had some terminology mixed up and I didn't really answer your question. But my advice is to continue this conversation with your doctor and even further would be to work with a RD, CDE if you need help controlling your issues.

Thanks so much for your response. And for providing your expertise to all of us out here. You are a blessing to us all!
  • mamaomefo
    mamaomefo Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Bump for later.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Hi Tony, I am 42 yrs old, 5'7 and 126 lbs at 18.8% bf. I am trying to lean out a little and get more muscle definition. Do you think having my macros set at 40 carb, 40 protein and 20 % fat is a appropriate to achieve this? I average about 1500-1600 calories on exercise days and have been starting to lift heavier in the last few months.

Thanks!

18% bodyfat is already pretty lean. You'll continue to lean out and build definition if you keep lifting heavy and at a deficit. I don't care to use percentages, I'm a bigger fan of absolute values. Eat up to 126g protein, about 60g of fat, and fill in the rest with carbs. Keep lifting heavy and be consistent.
  • TheCaren
    Options

Thank you for your information. Between you and Tony I feel like I have a good grasp on the issue. Eliminating candy has made the biggest difference, although I once had an episode after drinking fruit juice. MFP has me at a goal of 25 grams of sugar a day, which seems a little low given the fact I am not diabetic and MFP doesn't know anything about my blood sugar issues. I was reading online that 40 is about the max one should go. So I guess I'll try and stay in that range somewhre.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options

Thanks so much for your response. And for providing your expertise to all of us out here. You are a blessing to us all!

I really felt like I dropped the ball on your question on my initial response. Sorry about that. Thank you for your kind words! I hope make some good progress on managing your hypoglycemia.
  • pleytem
    pleytem Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    bump