I'm never going to be thin or fit...

Options

Replies

• cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Ate like a cow today, second day in a row...Losing motivation.

I honestlyjmight just give up on the whole weight loss thing and admit I will be fat forever.

Cow's eat grass and hay. Sounds yummy!!

If you're going to give up, do it now and accept your decision so you don't waste a lot of time beating yourself up for failing all the time. Probably better for your mental health that way!
  • downinaggieland98
    downinaggieland98 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I should mention, it's feeling impossible because I can't AFFORD healthy food. I can't AFFORD a gym pass.

Don't get discouraged!! If you are serious about eating better, grab a bag of frozen chicken breasts and frozen veggies even. That will be dinner for a week. Find snacks that you like, carrots, hummus, fruit... you can do this. Don't have chips and soda in the house. Don't feel bad about what you have eaten, just start over. It's a new day.

And also, some of my favorite (and best) workouts aren't at the gym. There are tons of workouts online, or just get down to the basics with squats and planks.
  • pbelschner
    pbelschner Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I was doing pretty good for a while. I went from 241 to 228 but this past week I gained and now I'm back up to 233. Very discouraging. But I know I have to keep going. So, today..it's back to the pattern that helped me lose original 13 pounds. My goal weight is 170. I know it's going to be a long struggle, but I have to do it, I must continue if for no other reason, so that I feel better about myself.

So keep going! Do it for yourself. And YES!!!!! You do matter!
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Now I'll never be a teen model :-(
  • jahilmer
    Options
    That video recommended was awesome....thanks to the person who submitted that. Lots of positive support and it sounded like the problem was more "depression" oriented. Let us know how you are doing and what helped the most. You have such a pretty face that when you lose this weight....and you will if you stay on here.....you are going to kick A--! All that from a 61 yr old...OUCH! Let's do that video tonight girl!
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options

I honestlyjmight just give up on the whole weight loss thing and admit I will be fat forever.

And now that yesterday is over and today has started new you can change the voice you listen to. Everyone has at least two... I have the psychotic wench that wallows in self pitty and depression and I have the inner goddess striving to be thin, pretty, and young. My inner Goddess plans to cure the disease "old age" some day. She also is right there screaming back at the psychotic wench when she's winning the I Suck/I Rule argument. Stop listening to your psychotic wench! Listen to the inner Goddess striving to be beautiful and thin. She will make you feel guilty for listening to the psychotic wench.... I know this for a fact.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options

I cannot tell you how many times I said the same thing.
    But I didn't. I kept going. I eventually reached my goals. You can, too. Being fit feels GREAT.

Oh, yeah, I don't have the time or money for a gym either. The good news is...I am able to work out at home for free! And as the mother of a large family (I have six children), groceries are always a challenge. But cooler weather is here, and "comfort foods" like homemade soups, chilis, and beans are cheap, easy to fix, and healthy.
    C'mon, you really can do this.
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    You are absolutely correct you will never be fit or thin.....UNTIL you change your attitude!!

YOU have to want it, YOU have to make the necessary changes, YOU have to find the determination - none of us can give you any of that. What we can do it support you and cheer you on. But until you change your attitude, nothing we say will make a dent in your "tomorrow"!!

You obviously know what you did wrong - tomorrow is a new day. Tell yourself right now, this minute - "I want this! I need this! I will do better! I will keep pressing forward!"

Good luck
  • HealthyWarrior
    HealthyWarrior Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Okay my love first things first...stop making excuses! You don't need an expensive gym pass or over priced 'healthy' foods. Walking for 60 minus a day at a pace that makes you breathless but you can still talk can burn up to and over 700 calories.

Gym memberships are over rated. Want to lift weights..get a couple cans of soup. Want to use the elliptical..go up and down two or the same steps for 15 minutes. Want a treadmill..go outside and walk.

As for the not being able to afford healthy foods..that is bull. I feed my family of three very healthy well balanced meals on a budget of $200 a month. It all comes down to wise spending. Instead of fresh veggies go with frozen..same for meats. Store brand is just as good as name brand but a whole lot cheaper.

If you can't afford a good bra, wrap them girls up tight in an ace bandage. Make yourself a workout jar. Each time you workout for at least an hour drop a dollar in it. If you do it every day for a month..get a good bra. Same for shoes.
    Workout shoes don't have to be expensive but have to be comfortable.

Until you stop feeling sorry for yourself, and quit making excuses, this will be hard.

I love to help people any way I can. Feel free to friend me. Also check it my pages for a little help.

http://m.facebook.com/?_rdr#!/MommyWeighLess?ref=stream&__user=663949770

Mommyweighless.Blogspot.com

Liz

Amazing reply. I couldn't agree with you more. Kudos.
  • seabreeze2012
    Options
    You can walk! I cannot. My knees are so bad I need knee replacements. I am also on medication for hypo-thyroidism. Yes, some do have it and it make losing weight even harder. Walking is great!!! We all get very discouraged at times and it's OKAY. Feel the depression, but not for too long. Do something that makes you feel good, dance? Music? Friends? Just don't give up. I don't know what your final goal is but don't think about it. Just think about maybe dropping the next two pounds. I may not think I can lose 50 lbs. but I KNOW I can lose 2. Then little by little they add up. We all trip and fall. As they say don't let your failures define you - let them REFINE you!
  • shinesunfish
    shinesunfish Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    We've all been there. Let's face it, you will never be happy continually gaining weight and eating like crap. You'll yoyo back and forth between an "I don't even care!" attitude and self-loathing. You'll pick this back up in 6 months, and the cycle will start all over again. Cut out all that middle-time! Stick with it! Understand that you won't be perfect, and you will have days that are awful, but it's better to have one or two awful days then 6 months of them.

As others have mentioned, there are lots of exercises you can do at home - youtube or purchase video work outs, walk outside for longer periods of time, or run up and down your stairs. Push ups and sit ups, leg lifts and squats are all simple to do in your living room! Lift things around your house that weigh certain amounts (soup cans, paint cants, bags of flour or rice).

I bought my sports bras at Target, and I believe they were about $15 each. They have up to 2XL. Also, our local community college sells memberships to their pool and weight room for much less than regular gyms... something to check out if you're really married to the gym idea.

Do you make a budget? I am sure that you can find ways to work within what you already pay for food, but use fresh or frozen ingredients for much less money. Look for recipes that are quick and easy, and slowly expand the fruits, veggies, and grains that you try. Go meatless for several meals a week - beans are a filling and affordable alternative. Buy meat in bulk when on sale and freeze. Take advantage of markets where you can purchase exactly how much you need (butcher counters, grains and pastas by the pound, unpackaged greens and fruits mean that you can buy just enough and not worry about it going bad.)

Plan out your meals! Take about an hour on Sunday night, plan out what you will eat for the rest of the week, and then buy ONLY those ingredients that you need. Also, go to smaller local markets over superstores. You will be shocked how much you save by not purchasing impulse items and pre-packaged foods. I generally spend about $100 at Target or Meijer, $50 at Kroger, and $25-$35 at my neighborhood market. The prices are higher, so I subconsciously buy only what I need. Plus, the money stays locally!

Don't try too much at once. Find healthier alternatives to things that you already like. Don't try to give up chips and soda and cookies and ice cream and fast food all at once - you'll get overwhelmed. Pick one thing that you don't even really care for that much, and give it up. Keep doing that, and you will be amazed at how far you get in a couple of years.

It's a slow process to change the way you think about food and exercise. Don't give up! Just adjust your goals to be a bit more realistic.
  • karmahunger
    karmahunger Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    @Everyone: Thank you for your kind words! I think I just needed tough love. I was overwhelmed by all the replies, so thank you SO much!! Also, all the stories on here have made me feel stronger already!
  • jazujazu
    Options
    Failure is not when we make a mistake or fall off the wagon. Failure happens when we quit.:heart:
  • christchick7
    christchick7 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    "I'm never going to be thin or fit..." This statement is only true if you allow it to become a self-
    fulfilling prophecy. If it's been awhile you may have to start small, like a 5 minute walk up and
    down your street. You can begin by doing ten minutes daily like Change One or Spark People
    recommend. Check the Change One book out of the library. The book contains a food plan
    with recipes and a simple fitness plan using basic items like a chair, a wall, the bottom step
    of your stairs and some light dumbells. Go for a short walk with a friend, or spend the day cook
    ing healthy food together. I would recommend Leslie Sansone's workout programs. You can
    use them for free at her website, Walk At Home. Just join her free online community Walk So-
    cial and you will have access to many trackers and her online forums. If that's not your thing,
    try free fitness videos at YouTube; if there are some you specifically like, you can buy them
    used at Amazon for low prices. Just don't give up, because your life matters! Do it for you;
    then and only when you have that in place, you can think also of family and friends.
  • JennedyJLD
    JennedyJLD Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I've been at this since March of last year and I'm still not at my goal. I am 60 lbs down though, which I wouldn't be if I just said "screw it" the first time I had a bad day or two. If you keep trying, you'll get there eventually.

This. THIS is the attitude that will carry you through.

It took me a year to drop about 60 pounds. Now I'm at my original goal. I say original because my goal keeps changing. And I *still* have "bad" days. That's life. Birthday parties are going to happen. A friend you haven't seen in a while calling you up for beer and pizza is going to happen. Giving in to your favorite greasy Chinese buffet is *going* to happen. So long as you do your best to exercise and eat right the majority of the time, these occasional indulgences will NOT derail you. For proof, look around next time you're at a restaurant. Are you telling me NO fit/thin people are enjoying french fries or dessert? The difference is they don't tell themselves, "Well, I ate like a cow at lunch, guess I'll eat like a cow for the next ten months..."

I say this not to be harsh, but because I also need to hear it every now and then myself! It's a lifelong journey. It won't be won or lost at one meal, or in one week. Vacations happen, too. :-) Good luck, OP!
  • jahilmer
    Options
    Okay my love first things first...stop making excuses! You don't need an expensive gym pass or over priced 'healthy' foods. Walking for 60 minus a day at a pace that makes you breathless but you can still talk can burn up to and over 700 calories.

Gym memberships are over rated. Want to lift weights..get a couple cans of soup. Want to use the elliptical..go up and down two or the same steps for 15 minutes. Want a treadmill..go outside and walk.

As for the not being able to afford healthy foods..that is bull. I feed my family of three very healthy well balanced meals on a budget of $200 a month. It all comes down to wise spending. Instead of fresh veggies go with frozen..same for meats. Store brand is just as good as name brand but a whole lot cheaper.

If you can't afford a good bra, wrap them girls up tight in an ace bandage. Make yourself a workout jar. Each time you workout for at least an hour drop a dollar in it. If you do it every day for a month..get a good bra. Same for shoes.
    Workout shoes don't have to be expensive but have to be comfortable.

Until you stop feeling sorry for yourself, and quit making excuses, this will be hard.

I love to help people any way I can. Feel free to friend me. Also check it my pages for a little help.

http://m.facebook.com/?_rdr#!/MommyWeighLess?ref=stream&__user=663949770

Mommyweighless.Blogspot.com

Liz

love this!!!!!!!
  • jahilmer
    Options
    ditto....
  • Mountainbiker2015
    Mountainbiker2015 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I was the queen of excuses for years. I have no will-power, can't afford a gym membership, can't afford healthy foods, etc, etc. I started bicycling back and forth to work and still was not losing. I came here, started cutting back my portions, drinking water, walking, still biking, recording everything I ate, drank and did to burn calories. I do have a gym membership but for years I made excuses as to why I could not afford it. Then I realized, I could not afford to stay unhealthy and that money that would have gone to doctor and hospital bills could easily be put to being proactive and getting a gym membership and staying active. I quit smoking 7 years ago and my gym membership is a fraction of what I spent on cigs and also all the snacks and meals I ate at work. You can get some really good deals on meals if you look for them and also coupons are everywhere. Please just keep going. I know some days it is hard but you have to remember, most of us did not get this way overnight and we will not take the weight off overnight either. You can do this. Just start fresh and GO FOR IT!:happy:
  • AradiaStone
    AradiaStone Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I should mention, it's feeling impossible because I can't AFFORD healthy food. I can't AFFORD a gym pass. All I can do walk, I can't run because I don't have a proper bra, which I need. I can't afford one. Don't even have runners. All the food I have is salty and bad...
    Honey I am a mom of three kids ALL under the age of FIVE. I have NO extra money for gym passes, workout classes yada yada. I workout at HOME everyday and I WALK. I DON'T buy organic, I buy the food at the market that is the cheapest, but that I can turn into proper meals for us all. I workout in my UNDERWEAR lol, b/c I just don't have time or extra money to go shopping with my little ones for extras for myself. PUSH THROUGH it is so REWARDING for YOURSELF. OVERCOME your obstacles. NO ONE on MFP has it easy, but you JUST DO IT. If you are not challenging yourself you are not changing yourself. Good Luck!!
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 4,995 Member
    Options
    Dont give up you can do it..
    1. QUIT THE EXCUSES
    2. i agree make a list of all the reasons you want to be healthy....I did this and I have checked most of the things off my list when I get discouraged it helps to go back and look at the list
    3. Not all healthy goods are more expensive a banana for a snack is cheaper then a bag of chips, sugarfree fudge bars are cheaper then drumsticks....etc. find healthy foods you enjoy that you can afford
    4. Just walk or follow along with exercises on youtube.com I lost my first 60 lbs just swimming and walking
    5. Just do it....break it down into doable goals, when I first start 100 lbs seemed impossible so i just concentrated on 10 lbs at a time