I'm never going to be thin or fit...

Options

Replies

• raethepain
    raethepain Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm currently unemployed... I feel the trick is preparation. Don't go to the supermarket, try out local markets and see what you can get. Make a basic mix of vegetables with onion and tomato, and put it in the fridge. Spice it differently every day! One day it can be pasta sauce, one day a curry, one day a ratatouille!

Think about what it is you want to invest in. I did recently get a gym pass at a local cheap leisure centre. It means I won't be able to buy any fun things or see my friends as much, but this is what's important to me right now. If not the gym (which is only one option after all) why not download the Couch to 5K programme? It's really great! And as people have said, a 60 minute walk at pace every day WILL make a difference.

As for bras, I feel you sister. At the moment I'm double layering bras, which adds a little bit of support. Sweaty and uncomfortable, but functional.

And everybody has off days. That's totally allowed. Just don't let the exception become the rule. You CAN do this. And we're all behind you! x

EDIT: Just seen you're already feeling better about this. Hope my words are helpful nonetheless! x
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I should mention, it's feeling impossible because I can't AFFORD healthy food. I can't AFFORD a gym pass. All I can do walk, I can't run because I don't have a proper bra, which I need. I can't afford one. Don't even have runners. All the food I have is salty and bad...

Then walk. Walk everywhere. Walk up and down stairs. When I lived in the UK I used to walk everywhere to save on bus fare and petrol. I also stayed thin. Then I moved to the Arabian Gulf where it's way too hot to walk anywhere, and got fat. Don't let anyone tell you walking is not good exercise, it is. Walking + portion control will get you thin. (and I got thin again with exercising indoors with the air conditioning on, e.g. exercise videos on you tube and weights and bodyweight exercises; plus eating what foods I can get, and where I was living until recently, western style foods were hard to get so I had to just go with what I could get locally that was healthy.)

Re salt, it doesn't make you fat. It's not good for you, but for now, just do one or two changes that you know you can stick to, and once you're in the habit of those, add more changes. So eat the food that you can afford, just eat less of it, i.e. stick to your MFP goal in terms of calories, even if the food is not the healthiest on the planet. Later, you can look at making healthy substitutions. If you have a farmers market near you, that may be a good way to get some fruit and veg on the cheap. Or it may not be. Or maybe you can buy direct from farms, I don't know, it depends where you live. But wherever you live there will be *some* way to get some kind of healthy food cheaper. So that's something to look into... but just for today, eat the food you have, but stay within your MFP calorie goal, that plus walking, will mean that the fat will start to burn off.

It's not all or nothing. Small sustainable changes are what's going to work in the long run, and if you can't make all the changes right away, just do what you can. Work with what you've got, you can make more changes as you go along and find out more ways to make healthy changes to your diet and what exercise you can do that's within your budget.

You can do this :)
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I should mention, it's feeling impossible because I can't AFFORD healthy food. I can't AFFORD a gym pass. All I can do walk, I can't run because I don't have a proper bra, which I need. I can't afford one. Don't even have runners. All the food I have is salty and bad...

I ate bad fo an entire week last month...and the whole month of June. I still made progress evertime I got back on the horse. Eating healthy isn't that expensive, my groceries don't cost anymore than they used to when I ate junk. If you need a bra go to Marshall's Bulington Coat Factory or Target they all have good sports bras. Your real problem is that you keep making excuses.
  • Toomanyhats
    Options
    You don't need to AFFORD anything. Walk girl, walk. Eat like a cow all you want, just DO NOT touch...chips, sodas, sugar, fat, take-out food. Produce is high, yes, but not skinless, boneless chicken ($2.79/#). Grill or bake the chicken and buy a bag of brown rice. Now those things you CAN do!!! :smile:
  • daggs95
    daggs95 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Try not, do or do not....Yoda :)
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Thin and fit are non synonymous. I will never be thin. I am healthy, strong, and in good shape. Thin is what I was in high school. I'll take the curvy, toned, with muscles and endurance, over thin any day.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Open your diary so we can understand what the issue is.

Are you giving yourself a reasonable deficit?
    Are you working out?

Or

Simply unmotivated?
  • deanna_bond
    deanna_bond Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Hey I do this a lot too, BUt I never give up. I started out tuesday went to the gym burned 600 calories and weight trained. I wanted to go yesterday and didnt today I should but my schedule is whack cause of my sons bday party satuirday. Monday I will go back to the gym and start over I DONT GIVE UP. I live with other people who try to eat healthy but it never works. I get sad I get mad I even punish by eating bad (which I am struggling to stop) This is my weight so far started 220....214.....223.....217......212......215......217.....I will catch this and keep it down. You are not alone. (eventhough I do feel alone and very mad) Just start over and keep moving. I gain weight when i exercise and dont lose inches but somehow my pants fit different. I am a human yo yo and I am getting dizzy too. I found it helpfuil to mantra gym gym I dont care what others want I AM GOING TO THE GYM
  • sandylion
    sandylion Posts: 451 Member
    Options

It's a total myth that healthy food is more expensive. You just need to learn how to shop and cook. Tinned food is pound for pound way more expensive then non-tinned food. For veggies, get the no-name frozen ones, stuff like large carrots, onions, things like that. Make tomato sauces, but get the no salt added sauce and go easy on your pasta. If you can't afford whole wheat pasta, because it is way more expensive, get the white stuff just measure it carefully and have way more sauce then pasta. Frozen ground beef is cheap in a tube, it's super versatile, and just cook it and drain all the fat off if you can't afford the lean stuff. Shop the sales and cut coupons.

I've never had a gym membership in my life, you don't need a gym. Go to the local library and pick up some work-out dvd's. You can have them for 2 weeks, and if no one wants them after you, just renew them. Check out your local second hand store for runners. Loads of people give theres away when they want to up grade to a newer model and they have lots of wear left in them.
  • deanna_bond
    deanna_bond Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    "Do or Do Not...........There is no try.- Yoda Sorry had to correct it my son is a star wars junkie lol
  • Off10h8ed
    Off10h8ed Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Negativity breeds negativity... Always try to stay positive! You can do ANYTHING you set your mind to.
    I also thought I would always be heavy... I am changing that! :)
  • apocalypsepwnie
    Options
    "Do or Do Not...........There is no try.- Yoda Sorry had to correct it my son is a star wars junkie lol

I love this quote.
  • Pippahoney
    Options
    Value porridge oats in Tesco cost 75p for 1kg. That's 35 breakfasts, at 28g per serving. If you don't like porridge, use them to make your own muesli.

I always look in the reduced fruit and veg section, a bag of cheap stuff e.g.carrots are great to grate or chop and freeze.

I walk twice a day for forty minutes, around a park. It costs nothing and I can chat to folks if I wish. It's especially lovely in the mornings.

Plan your meals and shopping, if it isn't available at the price you want to pay, walk to another shop, burn those calories and buy it cheaper elsewhere. (Sometimes I have to return to the original shop, I don't mind, more calories burnt.) Fine if you have the time.

Plan a snack.

Aim for strong , fit and not overweight. Being thin isn't everything.

Move that hoover. Polish that mirror. Clean the house, it's amazing how many calories you can burn. Sing if it helps.

Have a lovely day.
  • saraic282
    Options
    Awesome advises!!
  • Merc71
    Merc71 Posts: 412 Member
    Options

Okay, after reading your first post & this post, it got me thinking -- are you an emotional eater? Because when you're down and blue, it's really easy to get into that trap of medicating with food.

You just started on the weight loss, and there is no law saying "YOU MUST JOIN A GYM!" There is nothing wrong with starting slow. Walking is low-impact anaerobic exercise that is perfect for overweight people. Thanks to my long career in the Army, combined with multiple deployments, my running days are over. Go for a strong paced walk. Choose a scenic area. If you have a dog, that's a PERFECT walking companion to have!

All of your weight didn't go on overnight -- it's unrealistic to think that it's going to come off overnight. There is no magic pill for weight loss. It takes time to develop a routine, and when you have that routine, stick with it.

Weight loss isn't easy, but it's not hard either; it's challenging. If it were easy, 50% of all Americans wouldn't be considered overweight.
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I've lost 40 pounds by walking. No gym. No weights. Just walking. You don't need money to lose weight.

There are lots of cheap, healthy foods. You just have to be conscious of sales and pick and choose wisely. Many people in this thread had great suggestions for groceries. My favorite is to buy a bag of raw chicken breasts, a couple boxes of brown rice, and frozen veggies. That's enough to feed both of us for a week, and the total cost is about $7 if we shop sales and use coupons. Anything you can make in a crock pot is good too because you can freeze the leftovers.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    You either want to do it, or you don't. You either will, or you won't. Whatever happens, it is YOUR decision and only you are responsible. Many have done it before you, so it IS possible.
    I agree...its sad that you're 'ready to give up' at 21 years old though. Are you going to spend 10 more years feeling lousy and then hit your 30's and realize you could have done this sooner? It doesn't get any easier, and at your age, this is the time to make a positive lifestyle change that can last!
  • Angie_1991
    Angie_1991 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Unacceptable..........DO NOT GIVE UP...........Think thin!!!!!! You got this!!!
  • NoahandPresleysMom
    NoahandPresleysMom Posts: 763 Member
    Options

yes u CAN afford healthy food. If you plan properly and buy accordingly, its actually CHEAPER than garbage and processed junk!!!
  • NoahandPresleysMom
    NoahandPresleysMom Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I've lost 40 pounds by walking. No gym. No weights. Just walking. You don't need money to lose weight.

There are lots of cheap, healthy foods. You just have to be conscious of sales and pick and choose wisely. Many people in this thread had great suggestions for groceries. My favorite is to buy a bag of raw chicken breasts, a couple boxes of brown rice, and frozen veggies. That's enough to feed both of us for a week, and the total cost is about $7 if we shop sales and use coupons. Anything you can make in a crock pot is good too because you can freeze the leftovers.

atta girl!!