Drop bread to lose weight

Options

Replies

• ilovemaisy
    Options
    I eat 45 calorie bread (multi grain). I've gotta have sandwiches.
  • caitlyn30
    caitlyn30 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    there is no way I could drop bread.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • HawtTamale
    HawtTamale Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    There is a book out there right now called Wheat Belly that discusses this very topic. It details how the wheat of today has been genetically modified to look, and act, very differently than the wheat of our ancestors, and how these modifications have changed the gluten proteins to react, in some cases, more aggressively with the human immune system.

http://www.wheatbellybook.com/wheatbellybook/bps/index?keycode=222188

I'm in the middle of it right now and find it interesting. I don't really find myself a proponent of low carb. I don't agree with singling out a macronutrient and demonizing it. Wheat is one form of carbohydrate, however, and it is widely accepted that there are "good" carbs and "bad" carbs. Maybe wheat has changed sides due to human interference? I don't know...but I enjoy reading up on different theories and trying to see if they make sense in my lifestyle.

I don't argue that people can continue to eat bread and lose weight. People have proven you can lose weight eating twinkies. But maybe it's less about losing weight, and more about putting healthy foods into our bodies so they run optimally.

At the end of the day you have to find what works for you...what makes you feel the best and makes you most successful. For some that includes eating bread. For others it doesn't. Do what makes you feel the best and will make the future You, proud :)
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Hold on there, crazy. You're making it sound like it's the calorie intake that matters and not the specific food choices.

BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT
  • AbbsyBabbsy
    AbbsyBabbsy Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I think pasta is disgusting. I had nightmares as a kid over spaghetti night. Good luck prying the bread out of my hands, though. Sandwiches are nature's perfect food.
  • frando
    frando Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    from where I see it, it's a go to easy source of food for alot of people. I remember when I was younger if I was hungry it was 'have some bread and butter' or 'make some toast' etc. I spoke to a woman the other day doing the Weight Watcher's thing and she'd eat bread with every meal- she's cut it out totally but replaced it with other carbs (like pasta, couscous etc.) and she's lost a bit.

Personally I still eat it, and sweet bread and any baked good- as long as I have the calories of course ;D
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I think pasta is disgusting.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS09bZiZe4cuVgoSqbGcy2TfHc6yhYjFjvXMrPpPierBSfComxWcR54ttUc
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    I eat 4 - 8 slices of bread (with peanut butter too) a day. Managed to lose weight with it.

To be fair, not everyone can lose weight on your calorie intake
    Hold on there, crazy. You're making it sound like it's the calorie intake that matters and not the specific food choices.

3000 calories of asparagus please.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

I'd hate to see what you would do if she said something bad about ice cream!
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Yeah, its this ONE food that makes you fat. Not the fact you suck down bon bons like a blue whale goes through krill. Definitely the bread.

Seriously though. Humans have been eating breads for thousands of years.... the ONLY people that should avoid them are those with specific medical conditions that make it difficult to digest or cause other adverse reactions.

Love how people go all bat crap insane on bread and then only talk about WHITE breads as though whole wheat and other options simply fail to exist.

Oh, and the whole genetically altering the wheat... give me a frigging break. We've been genetically altering grains for the past 2000 years. The ONLY difference between doing it in a lab and doing it through breeding as we did before, is that in a lab we can get ONLY the changes we want without others being added in.

Sheesh... bread... yea... -walks out-
  • JustLindaLou
    JustLindaLou Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    if you are going to go for a fad diet, I'd recommend replacing all carbs with laxatives. You will drop pounds about 20 minutes after each meal and probably a good 6-8 times a day.

Eventually you will loose a large chunk of weight when your intestines drop out.

8319ee27009ca51cdc20c7ece07ea32f.jpg

ROFL!!!! Win.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Like breadlifts?
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I was still able to drop weight eating pasta, bread , rice. Of course in much smaller quantities than I would have liked, I could live off of rice lol
  • lauracljc
    Options
    I think that if you drop bread, then pick it back up, and do this behavior over and over, you can lose weight. Especially if you added more bread over the course of time.

Cute!!
  • JustLindaLou
    JustLindaLou Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I just notice for myself, bread and pasta are major "trigger foods".... if I have a sandwich for lunch, I seem to want more starchy carbs - bread, crackers, etc for the rest of the day... pasta - I can make a fab pasta with veggies that should be "good for me" except I just want more and more and more pasta.... So I personally do better to avoid them for now, and will cross the "reintroduction" bridge when I am closer to my goals....
  • AbbsyBabbsy
    AbbsyBabbsy Posts: 184 Member
    Options

Hmm. I probably shouldn't share my thoughts on bacon or cheesecake with you.
  • nashai01
    nashai01 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I dropped the bread...the pasta..the cakes, cookies and chocolate.....

And all I did was make a mess on the floor....maybe I did it wrong!! :-)

hahaha too funny
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I eat 4 - 8 slices of bread (with peanut butter too) a day. Managed to lose weight with it.

To be fair, not everyone can lose weight on your calorie intake

Sure they can, exercise more - That's how I do it. I'd be cutting down by about 1000 kcal if I didn't exercise. I was able to drop 140lbs in 7 months @ 1200 - 1400 calories a day comprised of 50% + carbs.
  • tlv1201
    tlv1201 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Here we go again...common sense should tell us that everything in moderation is the best form of a diet. Your body needs a proper balance of protein, grains, veggies, fruit, and calcium...not to mention water. All the people who sing the praises of the Atkin's diet are not doing themselves any favors. A high protein diet without a proper nutritional balance will throw your body into ketoacidosis and will harm your kidneys in the long run, not to mention the many other side effects it will have on the rest of your vital organs.

Dropping too many carbs in your diet may make you lose weight faster, but it may not necessarily make your body any healthier. Losing weight the healthy way may be a little harder and take a little longer, but you will be doing yourself and your body a huge favor!