I'm never going to be thin or fit...

Options

Replies

• penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I have been struggling for over a YEAR with getting back on the wagon and let me tell you, I WILL reach my goal one day. Know why? Because I absolutely will NOT quit. Never!
  • karmahunger
    karmahunger Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Now I'll never be a teen model :-(

I'm 21...
  • GCLyds
    GCLyds Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Most of this is attitude. 30 min of exercises is just that, 30 min. We do lots of things every day that take this long with out even thinking about it.. It IS possible to eat healthy on a budget. Have you looked into budget friendly healthy food? A big bag of frozen veggies is cheap, milk is cheap, whole grains like brown rice and whole wheat pasta are cheap. There are inexpensive cuts of meat. Invest in a freezer. When healthy food is on sale, buy it and freeze it. Tofu, beans and lentils are cheap. Seasonal fruits and veggies are cheap. Learn to cook. Take a class.

Dont sabotage your self. If you want it to work, you will find a way. So you cant run, a brisk walk, with some push ups and crunches is a great start.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    If everyone had given up after a bad day or two, the success stories section of this site would be utterly devoid of life.
  • aubreydarko
    Options
    two days is nothing!! get back on the weight-loss train
  • agnesbgooch
    Options
    OK, now you're just making excuses. I don't have a bra, I can't afford good food, I can't afford a gym. I've been unemployed for a year and a half and I'm doing this. Go to Goodwill for a bra or see if you have friends that have one or two they can spare. It's not any more expensive to buy good food than it is to buy crap. You don't need a gym to walk, the street is free or maybe you have a friend that lives in an apartment complex that has a gym you can buddy with. This IS possible. I've made excuses not to do this for 20 years. I'm going to be 48 next year, and I'm done with excuses. If I don't feel like exercising or eating right, then I'm saying to myself I feel like staying fat and I'm not worth the effort. I AM worth it, and you are too. Be creative - just DO IT! :)
  • Rhia55
    Rhia55 Posts: 247
    Options
    I promise you that if you give up you're only going to feel worse. I can't afford a gym either, I can't afford "healthy" food, but the food I can afford I make sure is as healthy as possible, and while I do slide every now and then, I know if I give up I'll hate myself. So will you. Tomorrow is another day. You don't need a gym, you don't need special equipment. You need to tell yourself, damn it, I can do this. So I ate like a cow today.. I won't tomorrow.

I have felt the way you do before, and I've just had the idea that when I do feel that way I'll go look at myself in a full length mirror.. unclothed. That, if nothing else, will keep me motivated.
  • WeCallThemDayWalkers
    Options
    I should mention, it's feeling impossible because I can't AFFORD healthy food. I can't AFFORD a gym pass. All I can do walk, I can't run because I don't have a proper bra, which I need. I can't afford one. Don't even have runners. All the food I have is salty and bad...

You'll forgive me, but those sound like excuses. I find fresh vegetables to be way cheaper than processed salty foods. Pack of hot dogs? Buy the fat-free kind that are 50 calories a pop. Bags of frozen tilapia fillets, I saw those in the freezer aisle the other day, 5 bucks for a pound or somesuch.

You don't need a gym. Use the public pool, a lake or ocean to swim. Buy a sports bra at the local Goodwill. Shouldn't run you more than 3-4 bucks. Now you can go jogging. Do crunches, squats and leg-lifts. Lift gallon jugs of water. Download workout videos and do them in your own living room.

No excuses. Start NOW.

Spark people has tons of great FREE videos you can watch and do in your living room!

Also, as a large-bra wearer, I have to say you CAN get support from doubling up regular bras and then wearing a "support top" shirt (which is not supportive enough on its own). It's an imperfect solution, but something to get you by. I think you can get that type of shirt for <$10 at places like Target/Walmart/Meijer/TJ Maxx. My first sports bra was probably about $20 and lasted (however stinky) for 2 years. My first lap swimming suit came from Goodwill ($5). My hand weights were $2 a piece at Walmart.
    For walking (not running) any pair of reasonably supportive tennis-shoes/sneakers will work.

You can do it too!!!
  • TheBiggestLosee
    Options
    I should mention, it's feeling impossible because I can't AFFORD healthy food. I can't AFFORD a gym pass. All I can do walk, I can't run because I don't have a proper bra, which I need. I can't afford one. Don't even have runners. All the food I have is salty and bad...

If that is the case, you'll just need to be creative. You can try switching things up in your diet: stuff that isn't a million bucks, but that is a better alternative. For example, instead of buying chicken nuggets, get wings and bake them. But remember, portion sizes is key.

As for working out, until you can get the necessary attire, there are still a number of things you can do to burn calories. Continue walking. Yoga, situps, crunches, power walking (or brisk). Basically anything that'll keep you active.

The worst possible thing to do is give in. BIG picture! Best of luck!
  • angimac
    angimac Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I've lost 130 pounds and have never ever set foot in a gym. I started walking. First walk was 3/4 of a mile and took me almost an hour to walk it and I thought I was going to DIE... a couple of weeks ago, I walked 8 miles in 2 hours and 18 minutes and felt AMAZING afterwards.

Healthy food isn't more expensive... you just have to stop buying the processed, junky food. Of course if you are still buying the bad stuff, it will cost more to ADD the good stuff... so stop buying the bad stuff. If you just HAVE to have chicken nuggets or buffalo bites, make your own. Buy a bag of frozen chicken breasts, cut up in chunks, roll in some seasoned bread crumbs, bake... if you want the buffalo ones, dip in some hot sauce first, then the bread crumbs.

Find a discount bread store. I get whole grain/whole wheat bread for a buck a loaf. Put it in the freezer.
    Frozen vegetables are a staple in my house. It takes about 10 minutes to steam basically any frozen veggie. If you get tired of steaming them, spray lightly with olive oil and put them in the oven and roast them.

Weigh out portions! It's easy to think that you're eating a serving of peanut putter when you're actually eating 3 servings.

I struggle from paycheck to paycheck. Right now, it's 5 days till payday and I have $4 cash and $19 in the bank. Will have to put gas in the vehicle for hubby to get to work for the rest of the week. This is not an uncommon scenario for us... Yet I've lost 130 pounds, my husband has lost 90, my son has lost about 70...

The only person responsible for your health and happiness in YOU...

If I can do this, anyone can. You just have to want it badly enough. You're 21... don't wait till you're 40 like I did.
  • apocalypsepwnie
    Options
    I've lost 130 pounds and have never ever set foot in a gym. I started walking. First walk was 3/4 of a mile and took me almost an hour to walk it and I thought I was going to DIE... a couple of weeks ago, I walked 8 miles in 2 hours and 18 minutes and felt AMAZING afterwards.

Healthy food isn't more expensive... you just have to stop buying the processed, junky food. Of course if you are still buying the bad stuff, it will cost more to ADD the good stuff... so stop buying the bad stuff. If you just HAVE to have chicken nuggets or buffalo bites, make your own. Buy a bag of frozen chicken breasts, cut up in chunks, roll in some seasoned bread crumbs, bake... if you want the buffalo ones, dip in some hot sauce first, then the bread crumbs.

Find a discount bread store. I get whole grain/whole wheat bread for a buck a loaf. Put it in the freezer.
    Frozen vegetables are a staple in my house. It takes about 10 minutes to steam basically any frozen veggie. If you get tired of steaming them, spray lightly with olive oil and put them in the oven and roast them.

Weigh out portions! It's easy to think that you're eating a serving of peanut putter when you're actually eating 3 servings.

I struggle from paycheck to paycheck. Right now, it's 5 days till payday and I have $4 cash and $19 in the bank. Will have to put gas in the vehicle for hubby to get to work for the rest of the week. This is not an uncommon scenario for us... Yet I've lost 130 pounds, my husband has lost 90, my son has lost about 70...

The only person responsible for your health and happiness in YOU...

If I can do this, anyone can. You just have to want it badly enough. You're 21... don't wait till you're 40 like I did.

Exactly this!
    I was so worried about the expense of the food I was going to be buying that I told my boyfriend, who pays for the groceries, that I would foot the cost of anything extra he had to pay. Turns out that shopping is cheaper by $30-$50/week. And I'm saving money from not buying crap from the cafe's for lunch at work, that works out roughly $50-$100 a fortnight. Sometimes I run out of fruit or want certain things we haven't picked up at shopping so I'll pay for those but it's rarely more than a few dollars.
    Now we are both eating better and there are no junky temptations at home. Even when I shop for the step kids visiting I buy healthier snacks incase one of us is tempted to eat them. Without all the pre-made food I usually buy for them I didn't even feel like I was shopping for them being here as it wasn't much more then $30 extra. And that's awesome for feeding 3 kids.

I plan ahead most days. I separate food into servings before it gets put away. Including chocolates and chips. In ziplock bags. They stay fresh and I know I'll get my monies worth by spacing them out and I wont blow my calories.
  • LeggyAmericanGirl
    LeggyAmericanGirl Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    as other have noted these are all excuses.

although i think it's true bout the sports bra though. I'm a 34H/I and the only sports bra I get that are good enough (enell and sock absorber) and last are like $60. It's expensive at first but considering that these last well over a year it's pretty cheap in the long run. i could buy 2 cheapo bras that i'd have to replace 2 or 3 times a year and end up paying more than i spend for the one really good bra.

as for food, eating healthy is about the same price as eating non healthy. and if you're broke doesnt it cost more money to overeat?

TOTALLY AGREE
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    You either want to do it, or you don't. You either will, or you won't. Whatever happens, it is YOUR decision and only you are responsible. Many have done it before you, so it IS possible.

This
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Give up now, and you know exactly where you'll be a year from now. Stick with it, and the possibilities are , healthfully, endless! I hope you get back to it!!

Everyone, outside of complete control freaks (in my opinion) will have a bad couple of days. Poor eating. Unmotivated. Sitting around. Etc. We all have to *choose* to get back at it.

Good luck!!
  • prairiedawg2014
    Options
    i guess it just boils down to how badly you want to be thin. if you want it bad enuf you will work hard to get there. we all have to work at it. i just get the impression you are not serious enuf to want to lose weight.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Ate like a cow today, second day in a row...Losing motivation.

I honestlyjmight just give up on the whole weight loss thing and admit I will be fat forever.

That's fine. If you don't want to be fit, then no harm no foul. It's just not everyone's cup of tea.
  • zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Time and consistency.

That is all it takes.

If you are only eating like 1200 calories try upping it.

You will get it you just have to keep going.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    If you keep telling yourself that, you never will!! Just because you messed up today doesn't mean you should settle for less than you want. It's an excuse. Put on your big-girl pants and get back on that horse! DON'T GIVE UP and DON'T settle! You can do this!!
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    It's a decision. And you have to make it everyday. One day isn't going to mess you up, but if you don't back on track, you're letting it mess you up. If you want it bad enough, you'll make it happen. But the decision is the hardest part.