Drop bread to lose weight

Options

Replies

• nicholeuf
    nicholeuf Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/413783-can-i-really-lose-weight-by-eliminating-bread/

That seems to be a good article on the subject. I think this suggestion comes from the idea that the typical American tends to eat unhealthy bread and too much bread. So, if this typical American were to stop eating bread altogether, they would lose weight -- and hopefully not replace it with another unhealthy food choice.
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I eat 4 - 8 slices of bread (with peanut butter too) a day. Managed to lose weight with it.

That's combing wheat and legumes, 2 of the 3 causes of all modern day disease, I shall pray for you

That's nuts.
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I just notice for myself, bread and pasta are major "trigger foods".... if I have a sandwich for lunch, I seem to want more starchy carbs - bread, crackers, etc for the rest of the day... pasta - I can make a fab pasta with veggies that should be "good for me" except I just want more and more and more pasta.... So I personally do better to avoid them for now, and will cross the "reintroduction" bridge when I am closer to my goals....

I find this is the issue for many people with regard to processed carbs.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Both of you are misinformed, assuming to intolerances or medical conditions, you can eat bread and lose weight just fine.

Yup some people can be slim eating junk (I don't believe that they would be "healthy"), especially if they are active. However, have you looked around lately? The vast majority of people have health conditions and intolerances that, miraculously, can be cured by changing one's diet. I'm living proof.

Why do you keep discouraging people who are starting to realize that their current diet is not working and want to try something else? Especially when their main focus is improving health?

So according to you, you could not be "healthy" if you eat junk, is there any specific amount of junk one has to eat to be unhealthy or even a nibble would instantly make you not healthy according to you or maybe context and dosage actually matter?

Yeah, that's my OPINION. Not fact, never claimed my opinion to be fact. You don't seem to understand that a different way of eating can BENEFIT some people's health. Many people don't even know that their health problems are nutrition-related until after they try another way. So they should just wait until they are officially diagnosed with something like diabetes before trying a different nutritional approach? I don't agree. Maybe you never needed to try something different, but some of us have had to, or just wanted to.
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    40-50% of my diet consists of carbs. WHITE carbs! I hate whole wheat anything.....especially whole wheat pasta. Gross! Whole grain bread is okay, sometimes. I have had bread, pasta, potatoes rice, ect. throughout my whole weight loss. These things are not the devil....unless I develop a medical reason to drop bread, I never will.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    I guess you could say I dropped bread.....sort of. I still eat carbs but I only have X amount allowed during the day so I have to get the 'biggest bang for my buck'. I keep my carbs spread out through the day to prevent blood sugar spikes and dips and keep them controlled overall to what my body needs....not to what I want to stuff into my piehole.

Many breads nowadays contain high fructose corn syrup and hydrogenated oils and TONS of preservatives so any of those aren't good for me anyway. I dropped them.

Most grocery store cheapo pastas (and name brands) are made with refined white flour and have ingredients in them that aren't good for my body. I dropped them.

I do eat whole grain pasta about once a week now. It's a bit higher than I like in carbs for one meal since it spikes my blood sugar a bit, but it's not terrible and I enjoy pasta.

There are other things to use up my calories AND my carbs that give me more nutrition than breads and pastas. Healthy carbs like vegetables, beans, and grains give me the carbs I need but with low glycemic impact and combine OTHER important nutrients like vitamins, minerals, proteins, and healthy fats... so yeah... I pretty much dumped the useless breads and pastas.

Wonder bread = 13 carbs for one slice
    Sprouted cracked wheat bread = 12 carbs for one slice
    50/50 Spring mix/spinach (salad mix) = 12 carbs for FOUR cups. That's a HUGE amount of lettuce to fill you up, give you fiber, minerals, and vitamins compared to one little slab of bread...

I still eat bread if it fits into my day. i had a half of a lovely french roll today with soup at lunch. It wasn't packed with nutrition but it fit with my macros for the day and it tasted damn good when I dunked it in mah soupz.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Both of you are misinformed, assuming to intolerances or medical conditions, you can eat bread and lose weight just fine.

Yup some people can be slim eating junk (I don't believe that they would be "healthy"), especially if they are active. However, have you looked around lately? The vast majority of people have health conditions and intolerances that, miraculously, can be cured by changing one's diet. I'm living proof.

Why do you keep discouraging people who are starting to realize that their current diet is not working and want to try something else? Especially when their main focus is improving health?

So according to you, you could not be "healthy" if you eat junk, is there any specific amount of junk one has to eat to be unhealthy or even a nibble would instantly make you not healthy according to you or maybe context and dosage actually matter?

Yeah, that's my OPINION. Not fact, never claimed my opinion to be fact. You don't seem to understand that a different way of eating can BENEFIT some people's health. Many people don't even know that their health problems are nutrition-related until after they try another way. So they should just wait until they are officially diagnosed with something like diabetes before trying a different nutritional approach? I don't agree. Maybe you never needed to try something different, but some of us have had to, or just wanted to.

And you of course are entitled to your opinion, however silly it may be.

I am unsure where you're getting that I don't seem to understand changing your dietary habits can make a positive impact on your health, although I suppose since you can't grasp the concepts of context and dosage, it makes sense
  • jaredMFpinney
    Options
    lol ! :)
  • ohnoetry
    ohnoetry Posts: 129
    Options
    Honestly, find bread with natural ingredients! Not sure how much access you have to local offerings, but one of the delis I frequent sells bread from local bakeries where it's all homemade, no weird chemicals. That can help :)
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    If you really need to eat it eat rye bread or wholemeal, but why eat it at all if trying to lose weight is beyond me.

My cat loves bread. I once fed her wholemeal bread and she scratched my face off.

So I learned my lesson to never buy wholemeal again
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Well thanks for the offerings friends - I'm off to get a slice of toast! (It's within my calorie deficit).
  • know_your_worth
    know_your_worth Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about doing this.

But at the same time, if your goal is to have a lifestyle change you gotta be willing to give up bread forever or have it every once in a while, in moderation etc.

I like bread too much to give it up.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options

I don't know what your health issues were but I'm just wondering if they would have still been cured if you'd lost the 37lbs eating the grains etc that you've avoided? Yes/no?
  • cara4fit
    cara4fit Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Very simplistic, as many recommendations about losing weight often are, as far as what foods to eliminate that is.
    That said, if one has been loading up on white flour bread(or anything else made up of white flour)that has no nutritional value whatsoever other than sheer calories aka cheap calories, if one drops these, and doesn't replace them with other junk, one will in fact lose weight just because some calories have gone out of the diet.
    Another issue to consider is that some people are more starchy-carb sensitive than others, even if they switch to whole grain sources, or have some degree of gluten intolerance. Then on the other end of the spectrum there really are people who can load up on starchy carbs in general(mostly good ones though) and are fine weight wise and don't have diabetes or heart disease either. However, modern day wheat in particular is bred to have much higher gluten levels so that breads will rise and puff up more. Unfortunately that latter effect often happens to people! The starchy carb-sensitive people tend to do better with only very limited amounts of any starches, These folks do well on switching their carb intake to more non-starchy ones like vegetables and fruits. In the process, they're able to lose the weight, and their blood sugar and cholesterol readings improve too. The gluten-sensitive to intolerant people tend to do better once they get off gluten-containing foods, as in choosing naturally gluten-free ways of eating. But for just about everyone, ditching, or at least limiting the refined heavily-processed and sweetened flour products is a distinct improvement in diet in general, along with bumping up produce consumption.
    Instead of going and getting a bunch of expensive tolerance tests, all I can say is experiment with the presence of, amounts of, or absence of bread. Try different kinds of bread if not ready to give it up, like whole grain, or even better yet, sprouted-grain breads. Usually these are more satisfying and one eats less of them anyway, a distinct advantage when getting a handle on one's eating. Usually one will know within a month and go from there. People really do vary in their responses to foods.
  • PamelaKuz
    PamelaKuz Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Omfg, I just about ate my iPad.
    Hmm. I probably shouldn't share my thoughts on bacon or cheesecake with you.

mmmm, bacon chesecake....

194__520x440_bacon-cheesecake-finished.jpg
  • ChinUp4Life
    Options
    It all comes down to how your body responds to it.

Personally, I notice myself gaining body fat quicker eating bread than eating something like beans (which have been interchangeable for meals that involve meat or eggs).

Also timing plays a role. You're better off having bread in the morning, before exercise, or after exercise than in the evening.

Just listen to your body and see how it responds!
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Making breads, pastas, and rice "sometimes foods" helps me lose weight because it makes no difference in terms of intake for me whether I'm "depriving myself" of them or eating them every day--I have a really hard time eating them in moderation. So while I'm watching my calories and macros more closely, they usually take up more room than they are worth, and I find myself more likely to crave sugary, high carb foods, and I just don't feel as good when I eat them. I don't eat a low carb diet, but my carbs are more likely to come from fruits, veggies, and legumes. I can eat a gluten free brown rice tortilla without finding myself craving more carbs ... but those just aren't as tasty and that's probably why. :smile:
  • WAMarathoner
    Options
    In my opinion, fad diets are called fad diets for a reason. Eliminating bread or pasta is a very difficult pattern to maintain, and eliminating carbs from your diet can have dire effects, especially when you binge (inevitable).

If you exercise, you need carbs to recover. It's that simple.
    If you want to lose weight, you need to burn more calories than you consume. It's that simple.

The easiest way to get carbs with some nutritional value is bread, pasta, rice, or some other grain. I do recommend going whole grain whatever. It won't keep you full forever, so balancing with a lean protein is a good idea, too.

But by all means, don't feel guilty about a slice of toast or a plate of spaghetti. It's good for you!
  • starfishme81
    starfishme81 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I dropped the bread...the pasta..the cakes, cookies and chocolate.....

And all I did was make a mess on the floor....maybe I did it wrong!! :-)

Hehehe! Love it!