Drop bread to lose weight

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    ... you can eat bread and lose weight just fine.

I agree...but as a post-low carb dieter, getting rid of bread, pasta, and other processed carbs helped me lose weight much faster. I want to eat like a normal person though, so I have added some back into my diet in moderation (which is key in everything I think).

Good thing that I'm not trying to lose my weight fast! A couple pounds a week is plenty for me, thanks!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    ... if one has been loading up on white flour bread(or anything else made up of white flour)that has no nutritional value whatsoever other than sheer calories aka cheap calories...

White flour has nutritional value. :smokin:
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

Sure they can, exercise more - That's how I do it. I'd be cutting down by about 1000 kcal if I didn't exercise. I was able to drop 140lbs in 7 months @ 1200 - 1400 calories a day comprised of 50% + carbs.

Are you the same person that said you eat a pint of ice cream every night (and something else totally delicious four nights a week?) I wish I could have your diet. But it wouldn't work for me. I don't burn enough calories through exercise to make up for the pint of ice cream alone, much less the pint of ice cream and 8 pieces of bread with peanut butter. An hour of exercise burns maybe 300 calories at my height, weight, gender, and age. Even if I exercised enough to account for all of these things, I wouldn't then have enough calories to eat the other things I need to fulfill my nutrition needs. I want to eat to live, not live to eat. Which I would be doing if I really did all that exercise just so I could eat your diet. I agree with SL that not everyone really can eat the way you do because of calorie intake needs.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I eat bread. I lose weight. I will never stop eating bread.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Omfg, I just about ate my iPad.
    Hmm. I probably shouldn't share my thoughts on bacon or cheesecake with you.

mmmm, bacon chesecake....

194__520x440_bacon-cheesecake-finished.jpg

tumblr_m66pzvUagK1r3x7i2o2_500.jpg
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Yeah, its this ONE food that makes you fat. Not the fact you suck down bon bons like a blue whale goes through krill. Definitely the bread.

Seriously though. Humans have been eating breads for thousands of years.... the ONLY people that should avoid them are those with specific medical conditions that make it difficult to digest or cause other adverse reactions.

Love how people go all bat crap insane on bread and then only talk about WHITE breads as though whole wheat and other options simply fail to exist.

Oh, and the whole genetically altering the wheat... give me a frigging break. We've been genetically altering grains for the past 2000 years. The ONLY difference between doing it in a lab and doing it through breeding as we did before, is that in a lab we can get ONLY the changes we want without others being added in.

Sheesh... bread... yea... -walks out-

I love you, Dana. :smooched:
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I think that dropping bread only helps if you are sensitive to bread products. I am so I only eat oatmeal, potatoes, rice, and so on. Anything but white bread and wheat bread. I have also dropped dairy and meat (except chicken on occasion) but again this isn't for everyone and I do believe that people can lose plenty of weight eating everything in moderation. I did too, I have just found that I can't digest meat (haven't been able to for years) and I am allergic to dairy (blisters my mouth) and the bread bloats me. As you can see it is an individual issue. If you are going to limit your bread, figure out what a serving is and limit yourself to 6 servings.
  • bethiepoo30
    Options
    For what it is worth, I've been low carb for over a year. I had lost around 70 pounds and then hit a plateau for a year. I decided to try low carb and I've lost almost 50 pounds in this year of low carb. Now, I understand, giving up carbs is hard. Some people can't do it. But it works for me. My cholesterol numbers are lower than they have ever been and my workouts are great. In fact, I just ran a half marathon last week and I'm doing a 10K tomorrow morning. Ultimately, do what works for you.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Carbs have such a bad reputation amongst people trying to lose weight.. I don't get it. I love bread, potatoes, pasta etc and I am losing weight at a steady pace without drooling while I watch my boyfriend eat delicious foods that I "can't have".

Every time somebody tells me 'oh, doesn't that have too many carbs?' or 'bread is really going to slow your weight loss' I just want to kick a baby.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Drop very bad carbs, basically bread and pasta. People in the west eat way too much of this heavily processed crap and refined sugar.

If you really need to eat it eat rye bread or wholemeal, but why eat it at all if trying to lose weight is beyond me.

really???? I dropped 85 lbs in 6 months without giving up bread,pasta or refined sugars.
  • sandylion
    sandylion Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I was holding a 5 lb loaf of sourdough. when i dropped it the number on the scale did indeed, go down 5 lbs.

I humbly submit this as proof that dropping bread will help you lose weight.

That's a big loaf of bread. Where did you get it?
  • shinesunfish
    shinesunfish Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Topics like this are the reason why I love this site. When you are overweight and hear people saying to cut out all carbs, or all dairy, it's very disheartening. It's great to hear all of these in-shape people recommending moderation and healthy eating. I could never cut out any one food group from my diet, so this gives me hope that a dish of pasta in moderation won't be my undoing! :)
  • jkcrawford
    jkcrawford Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I dropped the bread...the pasta..the cakes, cookies and chocolate.....

And all I did was make a mess on the floor....maybe I did it wrong!! :-)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • LisaDunn01
    LisaDunn01 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Grains are actually NOT GOOD for us as they convert to sugar. To drop weight, drop breads, pasta, rolls, bagels, etc. I don't even eat rice.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Grains are actually NOT GOOD for us as they convert to sugar. To drop weight, drop breads, pasta, rolls, bagels, etc. I don't even eat rice.

i feel sorry for you
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

i feel sorry for you

Ditto ^^
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options

i feel sorry for you

Ditto ^^

I think baguettes are the most dangerous for your health. its like a french baseball bat. I think you should just drop food. eat ice.
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I've heard this from many sources... but, personally, I am just trying to reduce carbs. The carbs I am keeping, though, come from natural sources (like fruits) and whole-wheat products.
  • srobinson84
    srobinson84 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I agree with the low carb and eliminating grains.
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    No.

Assuming you have no food intolerances, it's calories in vs calories out. Yes the quality of the calories determines your energy and health levels, but if you're getting half your daily calories from bread, and are still in a deficit, you will still lose weight.