Women - are you walking or jogging at 4mph?

Options

Replies

• evilmonkee
    evilmonkee Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1" and 4mph is my usual walking pace, but I'm a fast walker (always have been). I start jogging when my speed goes up to 4.7-4.8 mph. For reference, my usual running pace is 6ish for short runs, around 5mph for longer runs.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    I"m 5'11" so for me this is walking. I have long legs. In fact, my nick name is legs. :happy:
    I actually out walk my big dog and my husband. Before I started to lose weight my husband walked faster than me and I was always walking behind him. Now he walks behind me and is asking me to slow it down lol :laugh:
  • Farburnfred
    Farburnfred Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Walking for me, I am 5'6 and can walk up to 6 mph..
  • nyssa1231
    nyssa1231 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    That's walking for me. I'm 5' tall. I start jogging at about 5.5.
  • fizzletto
    fizzletto Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" with short legs. Anything under 5mph is walking for me
  • Sabrina__26
    Options
    I'm short (only 5'2) and I usually walk at around 5mph.
  • jdlyng
    jdlyng Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and 4.0 for me is a comfortable jog... I can walk it now that my legs are used to doing it, but it is much more comfortable if I jog.
  • Henrye4185
    Options
    It is a walk for me but it is fast. I am 5'9.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    At 4.0 mph and 4% incline I'm doing both, alternating jogging and walking, I have pretty short legs though.
  • BarbellBlondieRuns
    BarbellBlondieRuns Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    The fact is that you are moving your booty! You're working out and putting in the hard work! Whether you walk it or jog it or a combo of both - GREAT JOB!!! Don't measure yourself against others. Just work out consistently and give yourself the much deserved pat on the back :) Wooo hooooo!!!
  • Rosebudevol
    Rosebudevol Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I am 5"1 so 4 mph is a slow jog for me. I can walk it, but its very fast and hurts my knees more then if i just put a little jog in it.
  • arachniagirl
    arachniagirl Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Well it's running for me, and I'm proud of that.......... I 'couldn't' run, and then a couple of months ago I joined a beginners group. Turns out I was trying to go too fast. They slowed me down, and got me running, which according to my Garmin is 4mph...

Interesting. I've been trying to build up to running, walking at 4.0 and then running at 5.5 but I can only go a couple minutes at 5.5 before I have to walk again. I think I'll try a slower run and see what happens.

I walk at 4.0 but that's my max. Even 4.1 will start to hurt in my shin...
  • KS_4691
    KS_4691 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Slow walk. I'm 5'5".
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    it's the same for 4.5, it was walking a "very, very brisk pace." no, i'm definitely jogging lol
  • kborton1122
    kborton1122 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I am only 5'1". A very fast walk for me is 3.7, so I would almost have to jog at 4.0. I usually start jogging/running at 5.3 though, and feel like I going at a pretty good speed at 5.8.
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I can walk at 4.0 but at 5'8" I have long legs. A comfortable run for me is between 6-6.7. You have to do what is comfortable for you. If you have short legs than 4.0 is going to be pretty quick for you.
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Walking comfortably. I'm 5'5".

4 mph is only 15 minutes a mile. 12 min/mile (5 mph) or faster is generally where "jogging" starts.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    There's gonna be different answers (as you can see in all the previous posts) on this one. Personally, 4.0 mph is a walk. A comfortable walk. I'm 5'5" and at goal weight. I also run. My last half I ran at a 7.3 mile per hour pace. . .that was challenging for me. Others can run much faster than I do. Some may be able to walk at higher mph than you. The only thing that matter is that you are DOING it! You are pushing yourself and working on improving your fitness & health! So, don't worry about whether it's a jog or a walk. . .you are awesome for pushing yourself!!!
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    My standard brisk walking pace is 4.3 according to the deadmill. I am 5'8" but with a 32" inseam. Longer strides are not a problem. 5mph is barely a jog.
    My daughter, however, is 5'2" and my jog is definately her run!

But, ya know, it really isn't a big deal except when building cardiovascular fitness because it takes the same number of calories to propel a given mass over a mile, or close enough to not quibble.

Multiply: (weight in pounds)(distance in miles)(0.68) = calories burned.

This is the formula to give a decent estimate, regardless of speed, for casual (non-pro and certainly non-elite) athletes like ourselves.
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    This is a fun and interesting question but be careful not to compare yourself to others. You're doing great :flowerforyou:

I'm 5'6". I can walk briskly at 4.5, jog at 5 and run at 6 mph.