The moment that made you SERIOUS about losing weight?

Options

Replies

• ravenchick
    ravenchick Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I was sitting in my doctors office at 323 pounds with severe heart palpitations, a vitamin D deficiency, vitamin B12 deficiency. I felt horrible about my life decisions and realized at that moment that if I didn't make a change, I was going to an early grave. I started that day and never looked back.
  • netter43
    netter43 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Being diagnosed with breast cancer and surviving lumpectomy and radiation, done at the end of May 2012. then doctoring for every ache and pain I had since then and having every ultrasound imaginable - lastly was my gallbladder - it was fine, but they found spots on my liver - well, it turned out to be fatty liver and they feel the spots are healthy tissue spared from the fat -

The thought of having liver cancer and going through more treatments and what I was doing to my body by not exercising and eating whatever I wanted was making me sick, literally!!!

I vowed to start working out every day of at least 30 minutes (even when I don't feel like it) and then logging my calories - thus far I have not lost a lot of weight, BUT, I have gained so much more - the energy and the attention from my boyfriend really has been extremely noticeable....

I have a long, long road ahead of me, but I don't look at it that way - I do it one day at a time and just start my day out with my exercise - 30 minutes - and the days I don't work and/or the weekends I try to do more, especially if I'm going to be going to a gathering where the food is not the best choices....
  • 041jackson
    041jackson Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My story is a little bit odd, as well:

This summer, I was working as a canoe instructor (re: thought I was being active) and I stumbled upon this site out of boredom. For fun, I decided to log that day's worth of food just to see how much I was eating (I very clearly remember enjoying scrumptious plain ruffles and onion dip while logging). I was close to 3000 calories, and even though I was teaching 12 year olds how to canoe, it was definitely not burning that many calories!

The next day, most of my sports clothes were dirty so I had to slip on a tight shirt that I didnt normally wear because I wasnt really comfortable with it. Yeah, 'slip on' the shirt - it was more like tug, and squeeze and not breathe. I ended up having to put on a dirty shirt! That was enough for me!
  • warsenic
    Options
    When I tried to fit my pants but couldn't. I had to go from a very lean size 1 to a size pudgy 5. [I was also overweight at size 5.]
  • Simone_King
    Simone_King Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    To be honest, it was while I was on a rafting trip with a bible study group on the ocoee river. I got thrown (rouge wave) out of the raft and stuck in the rapids. I managed to get out of the rapids and make my way back to the raft, where everyone was making it stay in the same spot. (Near impossible I tell you.) Once I got there, the guide had a hard time pulling me in...

That was a scary few moments for me and frankly, I wanted to deny this ever happened. After that, (took a few months) but I began to lose weight.

Pretty bad when a guy can't pull you out of a rushing and gushing river.
  • Goal_Driven
    Goal_Driven Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    The moment I realized my BMI was still healthy but on the verge of overweight.. something HAD to change. And it did :) I'm a little less than the middle of the healthy range! Just looking to drop 5 more lbs and tone up!
  • EBGwd
    EBGwd Posts: 2
    Options
    Over 200 lbs and try to do push ups for the first time in years. As I lowered myself to the floor and called for my arms to push my body back up off the floor it felt like concrete blocks on my back, holding me down flat on the floor. My mind raced to figure out what was wrong. The conclusion, this "boy" was out of shape and way too heavy. I've commented to my wife that I was not over 200 lbs many times when she asked me about my weight. I got on the scales that night and 202 popped up. There had to be a change, somewhere. One of the guys at work had mentioned a shake like drink called Body by Vi, so I asked for details. I talked with my wonderful wife and she was open to the experiment. I now drop a pound every couple of days or so. I am starting to feel better and have less hunger pains, each day. My stomach seems to feel full with less food in it. It is a new experience for me. Previously, I could eat everything in sight and all the left overs in one sitting.
  • elebel82
    elebel82 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    A few things:

Being a bridesmaid for my little sister, having her trying to get me excited about getting hair and makeup and dolled up, and how good the photos of me were going to look, then finally seeing the photos and being revolted... all while everyone else tells me these are -good- photos of me.

Turned 30, bio clock ticking a tad, never had much luck with relationships. Accepting 2nd best, nearly settling for a borderline abusive relationship with a guy who was in no way my equal, who did everything in his power to try and make me feel bad about myself and lucky to have him, including insulting me for my weight while being quite a bit bigger than me and -much- lazier (and just being lucky enough to have good enough friends to be completely freaked out by the whole ordeal and clue me up before I really did find myself too far in), realising when that was over that I was now in a panic, because I no longer believed that I deserved better than that. It's unfortunate that my self confidence (when it comes to dating) is so reliant on my weight, because I've always been heavy. That said, I never even dated until a few years ago when I -was- 20kg lighter than I am now (and for the first time in adult life too), and as I got heavier again the choices I've made in that department have declined rapidly. If I can't be self confident how I am (though I am in every other aspect of my life), then I owe it to myself to do whatever I have to, in order to become confident.

Being told by a close friend that someone who I -had- been interested in a while back had ended up "settling" for someone who was as "good as he could get"... (aka better than me.)

Suddenly putting on 5kg (in one month) and nearly hitting the weight I was -before- I lost weight the first time (had started around the 114kg mark, got down to 85kg). The fact that it was sudden was key. I didn't feel like I'd done anything out of the ordinary to cause it, but all the other weight I'd put on had crept on, so I'd been -okay- with it, acclimatised or something.

Getting active, watching what I eat, and still not losing any weight for weeks on end. Realising I can either give up and sookie lala the -next- 30 years of my life and wake up one day miserable, diabetic, unhealthy, alone, and still hating myself, or I can do everything in my power to get it moving again, because I -know- I must've been lying to myself somewhere there, those cable reality tv shows keep telling me that the scales never lie. And dammit, even if I'm not, I have to be completely sure, and work out what -is- in my power. Trying just a bit harder and realising how unfit I am (despite being active, never challenging myself), already finding small wins on a daily basis.
  • fallbrawl
    Options
    My grandfathers funeral. Afterwards the family was getting together to take some pic (this is the only time i see my other family members). There is a pic of myself and my sister. I could not believe how big i was.
  • jquarequio
    jquarequio Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Had one of those days at work and then went to see the doctor. My blood pressure was thru the roof, on the verge of becoming diabetic and high cholesterol. The doctor then proceeded to ream me for not taking care of myself. I looked at her and said I knew I should have cancelled the appt. but for some reason I didn’t. I’m glad she did ream me out. Can’t stand taking medicine definitely going to get off of the blood pressure meds she put me on. 12 lbs so far…got to do it for me this time.
  • jordandroid
    jordandroid Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My family (who I have had a difficult relationship with all my life) were disgusted with my body and embarrassed to be seen with me. I left home aged 18 but my grandfather was encouraging me, well, essentially bullying me into seeking information about bariatric surgery. I refused to do something as drastic. Then my granddad started making free consultation appointments with private healthcare groups, to 'encourage me'.
    I went to one and they told me I'd need to have a gastric bypass to lose any significant amount of weight. Humiliated and embarrassed I ended up leaving the appointment and feeling hopeless. He got what he wanted and made me an appointment to go to the doctor and ask about bariatric surgery on the NHS. My doctor put me on a list, but warned it could take years to get the surgery.
    Following this, about two months ago my mother (a very thin, very feeble and weak type one diabetic) had a heart attack. Three of her arteries have collapsed in on themselves and she is due to have the surgery to rectify this on the 17th.
    I looked at this, realised her mother had died from heart failure, and realised how dangerous my weight was.

I called up my GP and told her to take me off the surgery waiting list because in truth, I wasn't comfortable with the decision. I told my grandfather to his face that I wasn't going to be bullied into having something so extreme done to me.

I started a diet the next day and progress has been slow but I am extremely determined.
  • M4Squared
    M4Squared Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    When I stepped on the scale and realized I was heavier in that moment than I had been on the days I delivered each of my children. I was 10 pounds heavier than my heaviest pregnancy weight.
    I am now back to pre-all the kids-pregnancy weight, going for pre-marriage weight now!
  • goldenday
    goldenday Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    1. Sitting in my mothers drs appointment to be told she was sick because of her weight- which she still refuses to do anything about.
    2. My size 18 uk jeans feeling tight.
    3. Crying because I feel ugly.
    4. Having to stick to wearing t-shirts and track suit pants.
    5. Being paranoid because I think everyone is looking at me.
  • goldenday
    goldenday Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Oops double post.
  • Katt1320
    Katt1320 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Haha! Sorry, not laughing at you, but I can see how that'd be irritating.
  • LynRhea
    LynRhea Posts: 15
    Options
    I went to the doctors in May and I weighed in at 170. I've never weighed that much in my entire life. It literally made me want to cry. From that moment on, I knew I wanted to get back into shape and start losing weight.

The same thing happened to me. Routine doctors appointment and I weighed in at 176! Never before had I been so heavy. I cried right there and my doctor realized how depressed I was. We discussed diet and exercise again. I went on 1200 calories per day, water and riding my bike. Ten pounds lost and a friend suggested MFP. I use it and have lost another 22 pounds since. Eighty five days since joining. I truly believe logging food and exercise helps! Thirty three pounds gone and back in the size 8 jeans!
  • LynRhea
    LynRhea Posts: 15
    Options
    I have since updated my starting weight and ticker to reflect my total weight loss journey. I need to get an updated picture of myself. Continuing to watch my diet and getting a new photo are just some of my goals.
  • VFBloch0725
    Options
    I have made several "attempts" to loose weight. First, I had to accept the fact that loosing weight is not going to happen over night and there are no safe "quick fixes". Second, I had to believe that I can do this and find the best mean to loose weight that fits me, my lifestyle, and personality. Third, I want to feel sexy within myself and my clothes and stop avoiding my picture being taken. Lastly, my health is not the best and I need to take control; I want to be active without being in pain.
  • sabolfitwife
    sabolfitwife Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    It was multiple things for me.

- Seeing the 200's on the scale
    - Hating the way clothes fit (or more like didn't fit) me
    - Just feeling like crap all the time
    - Being unhappy

Since January 1, 2012 I've lost 38.2 lbs and many inches. I've dropped a couple jeans sizes and can now fit into a medium shirt as opposed to extra large. Shopping for clothes isn't as mortifying as it once was and I feel much more comfortable in my own skin. I am only halfway through my journey though. I'm starting TurboFire as soon as my package gets here and am hoping with a clean diet and dedication that it will take me the rest of the way!
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    - How I looked last Christmas
    - Mom passed away in January, overweight