Registered Dietitian in TX here to answer questions.

Options

Replies

• AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Hey there - wanted to see what you thought of this -
    I have tried multiple diets and weight loss techniques, finally got on MFP and was trying a 1600 calorie diet - still didn't work for me. For some reason counting calories does not seem to help me because I had this idea that "I have 300 calories left, let's eat pie!". My doctor recommended I try a low glycemic diet to help with my anxiety; but I really feel like it is helping with my weight loss too. Obviously if we eat less sugar we might lose weight. What is your take on low glycemic diets? Anything to watch out for?
    What is your recommendation for beverages while trying to lose weight - besides water?? That is one area that always gets me.
    Thanks for your information!

The only effective way to lose weight is to create a calorie deficit. However you want to do that is up to you. This means that you can lose weight whether or not you want to pay attention to glycemic index.

Glycemic index is completely useless in my opinion. If anything, I'd be more concerned with glycemic load, which is basically just as useless unless perhaps for a very specific special need. And I have never read in any piece of literature about glycemic index affecting anxiety.

Any drinks without calories would be a good choice.
    Gold star. Now, let me go eat my pop tarts.
  • pickledginger
    Options
    One more thing about exercise... we all know sex burns calories, but there is no listing here for that activity. Do you know anywhere to find that information?

http://www.womansday.com/_mobile/sex-relationships/sex-tips/8-sexy-ways-to-burn-calories-110923

Great question! we should add the hubba-hubba workout to the database.
  • AntWrig
    Options
    One more thing about exercise... we all know sex burns calories, but there is no listing here for that activity. Do you know anywhere to find that information?

http://www.womansday.com/_mobile/sex-relationships/sex-tips/8-sexy-ways-to-burn-calories-110923

Obsessive. Should I log the calories I burn when use the bathroom and taking a shower too?
  • pickledginger
    Options
    Hello!!

My question is, I eat my three meals a day, plus I drink at least 6 to 7 glasses of water, plus I snack in between. However I find myself still hungry...is there certain food I should be eating more of? or what kind of food will keep me fuller longer??

Thank you!

Different things can curb your appetite without having to increase your calories. You can try...

1. Increasing your protein. It is the most satiating of the macronutrients.
    2. Increase your vegetables. These add a lot of volume to your meals and add extra fiber.
    3. Intense exercise. This can temporarily blunt hunger.
    4. Caffeine. It's a stimulant so it reduces appetite.
    5. Asking yourself, "Am I really hungry, or am I just _____?" Because sometimes hunger is psychological.

I have read that sometimes people feel hungry when what they really are short on is water -- so I always try that first.
  • AntWrig
    Options
    Hello!!

My question is, I eat my three meals a day, plus I drink at least 6 to 7 glasses of water, plus I snack in between. However I find myself still hungry...is there certain food I should be eating more of? or what kind of food will keep me fuller longer??

Thank you!

Different things can curb your appetite without having to increase your calories. You can try...

1. Increasing your protein. It is the most satiating of the macronutrients.
    2. Increase your vegetables. These add a lot of volume to your meals and add extra fiber.
    3. Intense exercise. This can temporarily blunt hunger.
    4. Caffeine. It's a stimulant so it reduces appetite.
    5. Asking yourself, "Am I really hungry, or am I just _____?" Because sometimes hunger is psychological.

I have read that sometimes people feel hungry when what they really are short on is water -- so I always try that first.
    Water doesn't curb hunger. It's just fills your bladder. The suggestions above are sound.
  • mandy0688
    mandy0688 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Hi Tony, i have been doing really good the last few weeks, i been on MFP. I started at 217 and tomorrow is my weigh in day. But my fiance is wanting to go out to dinner, IDK where but i have over 800 initial caloires, where is a good place to eat, i want mexican. Do you have any suggestions. I don't want to get off track i have lost 7 lbs and want to see results on the scale
  • pickledginger
    Options
    So if I have a lean body weight of about 140, and I have raised my protein intake to 50g/day ... I need to keep going?

(I am pretty sedentary due to chronic injuries -- yes, I do get pt -- and maintaining way too much weight on less than half what MFP thinks is my Baal metabolism.)

You can increase your protein intake to 140g. That's what I would recommend.

Thank you!
    (Yikes! that's a lot of protein.)
  • steppingstones
    steppingstones Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    will read all this later. thanks
  • heyshell79
    heyshell79 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm on board with the calories in, calories burned thing, but is it also wise to keep an eye on your "calories from fat"? or does it matter?
  • pickledginger
    Options

Obsessive. Should I log the calories I burn when use the bathroom and taking a shower too?

Um, sure, if that's what really floats your boat.
  • AntWrig
    Options
    I'm on board with the calories in, calories burned thing, but is it also wise to keep an eye on your "calories from fat"? or does it matter?
    A calorie from a protein or carb will make you fat just like a calorie from a gram of fat.

Problem is fat has been vilified. Well, carbs have too. The fact of the matter is, if you go over your maintenance, it doesn't matter where the calories come from. You will probably add fat.
  • cincoff
    Options
    I was always taught that if you can't say anything nice, please say nothing at all........ :( This man is giving his knowledge and advice FREE....... We should just appreciate his taking the time to do all of us the favor. Hopefully we all have that special gift called COMMON SENSE. Please take the advice for what it's worth. Use what you can, leave the rest and move on. Everyone is different. The same thing doesn't work for everyone as you know. I really hope your friend does well and gets all the support they need.
  • Cricket09
    Cricket09 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I love making smoothies but a lot of recipes call for banana, peanut butter and/or yogurt and I'm allergic to each of these ingredients. I've been making berry smoothies (fresh blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries with a scoop of egg white powder, 3 oz. pineapple juice and water to desired consistency), but I want to try some new recipes. What can I use to replace banana, peanut butter and yogurt in smoothies and get similar nutritional benefits?

Thanks in advace for your help.

Chris
  • mandy0688
    mandy0688 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I was always taught that if you can't say anything nice, please say nothing at all........ :( This man is giving his knowledge and advice FREE....... We should just appreciate his taking the time to do all of us the favor. Hopefully we all have that special gift called COMMON SENSE. Please take the advice for what it's worth. Use what you can, leave the rest and move on. Everyone is different. The same thing doesn't work for everyone as you know. I really hope your friend does well and gets all the support they need.

^ This
  • thunderhorse58
    thunderhorse58 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    interesting for reading later
  • FoodandFitness
    FoodandFitness Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Hi Tony, i have been doing really good the last few weeks, i been on MFP. I started at 217 and tomorrow is my weigh in day. But my fiance is wanting to go out to dinner, IDK where but i have over 800 initial caloires, where is a good place to eat, i want mexican. Do you have any suggestions. I don't want to get off track i have lost 7 lbs and want to see results on the scale

A calorie is a calorie but some situations set you up for success more than others. When it comes to mexican foods, I generally recommend saying no to the tortilla chips and ordering something simple and easy to estimate like fajitas.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Hi,

I love making smoothies but a lot of recipes call for banana, peanut butter and/or yogurt and I'm allergic to each of these ingredients. I've been making berry smoothies (fresh blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries with a scoop of egg white powder, 3 oz. pineapple juice and water to desired consistency), but I want to try some new recipes. What can I use to replace banana, peanut butter and yogurt in smoothies and get similar nutritional benefits?

Thanks in advace for your help.

Chris

Replace bananas with any other fruit.
    Replace peanut butter with any other nut butter.
    Replace yogurt with soy yogurt.
  • jtreadwell
    jtreadwell Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Will my body get used to me eating 1200 calories? Or will I continue to lose weight for as long as I continue eating 1200 calories?
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Will my body get used to me eating 1200 calories? Or will I continue to lose weight for as long as I continue eating 1200 calories?

Eventually your body will get used to just about any consistent level of caloric input. There is nothing to do about it except wait until you plateau and make adjustments if you want to keep going.
  • sarahslim100
    sarahslim100 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Thanks!