Am I the only one who hasn't read 50 Shades?

Options

Replies

• MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    It sounds dumb, although I did enjoy the sookie stackhouse series.

Yes! I only have the first book but I have followed True Blood.
    I picked up and put down the Sookie Stackhouse books so many times -- the back just sounded so stupid, I couldn't bring myself to buy them. I finally caved at a used book store, and was immediately hooked. They're brain candy, sure, but that's fine by me.

As for the 50 shades books, I have not read them, nor do I have a desire to. Normally when something hits it so big, I'm curious enough to look into it...but I read several reviews saying how poorly it was written, like an un-edited, self-published e-book. Not really into reading about subs/doms, either, so why bother?
  • mgoetsch1982
    mgoetsch1982 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the book yet. Though, I might considering I have a co-worker reading it and she is hooked (she hates reading too!)
  • travelgirl96
    Options
    why read about it when you can actually live it?
  • Suzyqall72
    Options
    I'm resisting reading it. If I read an erotic book, then after a few pages, I get distracted, and then I don't want to read anymore. Or I skip forward to the good parts, and the story is lost on me. I will see the movie if Ian Somerhalder or Ryan Gosling is Christian Grey, though.
  • Givenitmybest
    Givenitmybest Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    From what I've heard, they wouldn't appeal to me. If I'm going to spend my time reading a book, I would rather it be intellectually stimulating. I get plenty of the other kind of stimulation. :wink:

Amen to that!
  • livingwithlam
    Options
    I've never read 50 Shades. Don't really plan to.
  • KeriW626
    KeriW626 Posts: 430
    Options
    Literally and without question the absolute WORST book I've ever read. Don't bother with it, it was *kitten*.

Ummm Try the Sleeping Beauty Triliogy by Anne Rice. Ok, I'll admit Im kinky, but not that far....
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Not into anything that smacks cult reading, like you have to read it cause Oprah or someone like that says you should. I like fantasy and murder mystery genres better although from what I have heard 50 shades is more of a fantasy! :smooched:
  • Bow_Chicka_Taco_Meli_Wow_Wow
    Options
    I don't read ... I bend over.
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    You are NOT the only one.:happy:
  • lamoursuffit
    lamoursuffit Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    You can find better erotica for free online. As for the Twilight connection, she totally ripped it off.

Agreed! literotica.com, I go there often, and have been known to write some under a fake name that have (not to toot my own horn) become quite popular :blushing:
  • fitnessgal1985
    fitnessgal1985 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Haven't read it. Not interested in it either.
  • jlreser
    jlreser Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    HAHAHA!! I haven't read it either, but had a lunch date with a friend just yesterday and she INSISTED that I read them! Said they were ten times better than Twilight series and she's HARD CORE Twilight. So, I'll give 'em a read...eventually! :D
  • Willlift4shoes
    Options
    I have read them. They are poorly written and predictable. I enjoy a good smut book and while they did have some steamy sexy scenes the entertainment value was low. Won't read again.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Absolutely no interest. Ann Rice had a really sexual trillogy, can't remember the name... that turned me of to the smut fictiin.
  • ImperfectedBeauty
    ImperfectedBeauty Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    ive never read it either, haha.
  • runlaugheatpie
    runlaugheatpie Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    awful. I suffered through the first half and decided it was enough. I'm not a prude by any means but it was just terribly written and hopelessly predictable. And stupid.

I couldn't even GIVE the book away. I tossed it in the trash 2 weeks ago. Never in my life have I thrown a book away...
  • gmpuggles
    gmpuggles Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I haven't read it either, not much of a fan of romance or the whole erotic fiction stuff. When I heard that it was based on crummy Twilight fan-fiction, any desire that I might have had to read it (not that I had any) was squashed.
  • TahliaHarveysMummy
    Options
    I haven't read it............. yet!!! IAll 3 are at side of my bed ready though! Catching up on a bit of Twilight first and then the recent Sophie Kinsella number! lol
  • runlaugheatpie
    runlaugheatpie Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    what is twilight about these books??