Women - are you walking or jogging at 4mph?

Options

Replies

• Cricket09
    Cricket09 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    That's RUNNING for me! 5'3" and slowly getting back into shape... 3.5 mph is jogging...
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    that is my normal running pace: A 15 minute mile. When I go out on the road that's where I inevitably end up. I have short legs.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    4pmh is no man's land for me, LOL.
    I almost can't jog that slow; it feels so awkward. But it's painfully difficult to walk that speed for any length of time.

^me too. 3.7 is a comfortable walking pace for me between intervals, but at 4.0 I feel like someone should be following behind me with a hot iron and a whip to keep me going.

I'm 5'3". I think it depends on your running conditioning though- anything slower than 5 makes me feel like I am in slo-mo, but there was a time when I would have considered 4.5 to be a run.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Its a walk for me (also 5'4") but a warm up walk before running, definitely a brisk walk.
  • emyishardcore
    emyishardcore Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I walk it (and I'm 5'7)
  • Crystaleyed
    Crystaleyed Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    For me 4mph tends to be when I'm walking, but that's only because I have rather long legs and when I am rushing it's usually to meet someone or catch the bus and I'm not in running attire :) If you only manage 4mph I'd put it in as walking, even if you are running ... I don't really see the difference.
  • Crystaleyed
    Crystaleyed Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and I can walk it at 4.0. I have a short stride though, so I am really moving at that speed. I'm starting to jog and jog at 4.3-4.8.

Same
  • msacurrie
    msacurrie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    For me (5'6") is it a very fast walk...for my mom (5'2") it's a run.
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Fast walking, I'm 5'3
  • lorig_2000
    lorig_2000 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Really fast walking - usually a jog for me. I'm 5'3 3/4".
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2" short stubby legs, and 4mph is a solid walk for me.
  • leaffan12
    leaffan12 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm only 5'2" and so when I get to 4.0 I start to jog otherwise I feel like I may trip. lol
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and its a fast walk for me
  • CharityEaton
    Options
    I'm 5ft 3 and 4.0 is wlaking for me...a very brisk, walk but that's how I like it!
    5.3 is a moderate jog for me and where I can jog for a long distance without getting really tired or sloppy with my running.

I like to do bursts of 6.0 every now and then but I only run at 6.0 for 4 min. max.

However, my 6ft tall husband jogs at 4.0...he just doesn't like that brisk walking. I think it's all in your preference! If you fell like you gotta actually jog then so be it! Everyone is different and it's YOUR workout...do what you like!
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I don't use a treadmill but I know that my regular walking pace is over 3 mph, when I jog very slow it's about 5, so I think 4 would be a brisk walk, but too slow for me to jog.
  • lmunro5394
    lmunro5394 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    For me, that's a jog! I'm 5'4" and have such a short stride that I can't walk comfortably at that speed. What else I've found though is that jogging at that pace gets my heart rate up! Since I have a desire to begin running more, I've decided that I would much rather build up distance first and then move on to speed!
  • AngelaJordan712
    AngelaJordan712 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Walking...fast but walking! I have a really hard time jogging on the treadmill at 4mph..i skip...
  • yaddayaddayadda
    yaddayaddayadda Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I walk at a brisk pace at 4 mph. If I walk by myself as fast as I can, I can walk 4.5 mph. I use Runkeeper to keep track of time and mileage, and my speed and distance are pretty consistent.

BTW... I'm 5'7" tall.
  • ginaquinn2
    ginaquinn2 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Oh for me that most certainly is running.:laugh:
  • snowdrop_diva
    snowdrop_diva Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1" and for me 4mph is a light jog.
    If I try to briskly walk at that speed on the treadmill I seem to trip and stumble a lot more than if I jog it.