I'm never going to be thin or fit...

Options

Replies

• Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I didn't read through all the posts on this thread, but from the couple responses I looked at, there are plenty of great ideas and tips on how to eat healthy and exercise within a tight budget. It is possible, if you really want it.

here's another one if it wasn't already mentioned:

if you have a library card, libraries carry LOTS of exercise DVDs AND books on exercise and eating healthy. If you don't have a library card...they're free.

:drinker:
  • sallysuze
    sallysuze Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    People, we are here to support one another. If people start being mean all the time when someone posts something like this, how are we to support each other? =/
    There are plenty of helpful supportive comments. The fact that you haven't acknowledged them only fuels the fire, as it looks like you are just here to moan rather than to change your behaviour.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I didn't read through all the posts on this thread, but from the couple responses I looked at, there are plenty of great ideas and tips on how to eat healthy and exercise within a tight budget. It is possible, if you really want it.

if you have a library card, libraries carry LOTS of exercise DVDs AND books on exercise and eating healthy. If you don't have a library card...they're free.

Youtube is even easier. Hell even Google alone will suffice.
  • karmahunger
    karmahunger Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Actually I've said thank you more than once. And this thread should be OVER. God dammit people are just being mean because they feel all high and mighty online.
  • heykaraoke
    heykaraoke Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    frozen veggies in large bags is very affordableget a few bags of a variety of mixed, such as brocoli and cauliflower.
    while 90/10 ground beef isn't the cheapest, you can buy 85/15 in large tubes at a discount price.

Eggs are very very cheap.

House brand marinara sauce (low sodium) isn't expensive when bought in a large bottle, and pasta is overall pretty inexpensive, especially when used in moderation.

Ah head of lettuce is around 2$ but for one person, it can stretch over 4 meals.

chicken breasts are affordable if you buy them places such as cost-co in large bags.

A sack of potatoes can stretch, and be prepared in a healthy manner.

check out this youtube clip,
    there are many more with the same concept of incorporating cardio with weight resistance using just your body.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrPUdoSBvUs&feature=relmfu

soup isn't the worst choice in the world when it's on sale and their are usually low sodium.

burritos? ridiculously cheap.
    1 bag of kidney beans goes a very very long way.
    add tortilla (again,, cheap) and some cheese. bought in bulk, cheap and can be cycled in to a LOT of meals.

chili, same thing. make the beans from scratch, get a (very cheap) can of tomatoes chopped down and add an onion (which is also very versatile.) when you buy stuff like heads of lettuce, onions, make sure they're versatile. The onion can go in yourmarinara sauce, scrambled eggs (you don't really need milk) burritos and chili. potatoes are actually healthy. Just buy in bulk as you go and things will get better.

**Also learning how to make rice (red beans and rice with chicken scraps) goes a long way.
    those cheap cuts of beef, the only affordable ones? dice them down small and they can also go far. again, burritos, chili.

they have a small bag in the dry bean dept for bean soup.. buy a hamhock (cheap) and collard greens (cheap) add to the bean bag with seasoning packet (cheap) and you have at least 8 meals.

You can do it if you get a bit creative and think outside your kitchen comfort level. Beans are super easy. All you do is soak them in water over night. That's it. They're not scary at all!
    A 2 dollar bag of kidney beans can easily make you 4 batches of chili. The beans are typically in 2 places in a grocery store.
    By the canned beans and in the mexican food dept. compare prices, sometimes one is cheaper than the other or on sale.

Oatmeal? ridiculously cheap if you don't get instant.

Don't give up or in. Like someone else said.. it's 2 days out of 365.

I love this - awesome tips!
  • kbolfing
    Options
    God I feel you. I have had waaaaaay too much food in the past 3 days. probably enough calories for a whole week. it's been a really bad binge.
  • Coming4U
    Coming4U Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    If you think you can do it you are right and if you think you cant you are also right. Your body goes in the direction you are pointing it. Take everything 1 day at a time and put your past failings behind you.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options

Youtube is even easier. Hell even Google alone will suffice.

True, except I have trouble seeing Youtube videos on my desktop computer while trying to exercise...so if I ever use them, I use my DVD player hooked up to my TV...is there a way to get Youtube videos to broadcast to one's TV?
  • Shelgirl001
    Shelgirl001 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I should mention, it's feeling impossible because I can't AFFORD healthy food. I can't AFFORD a gym pass. All I can do walk, I can't run because I don't have a proper bra, which I need. I can't afford one. Don't even have runners. All the food I have is salty and bad...

Healthy food costs less than fattening food. I am a single Mom with 2 growing boys who I have to feed along with myself. I work 2 part-time jobs at approximately minimum wage. I notice when I start to buy unhealthy fattening foods, because my grocery bill gets bigger. Fruit is cheap, as are most veggies. Chicken is not expensive. Don't buy pop, candy etc. Water from your faucet is cheap.
    You will feel much better about yourself if you make this work and you get healthy.

There are hundreds of exercises to do without an exercise program fed to you. I seem to always be finding them. Do crunches, push-ups, jumping jacks, toe touches, windmills, side bends, jog in place, dance to some music, chase your cat... ;)
  • Coming4U
    Options
    I should mention, it's feeling impossible because I can't AFFORD healthy food. I can't AFFORD a gym pass. All I can do walk, I can't run because I don't have a proper bra, which I need. I can't afford one. Don't even have runners. All the food I have is salty and bad...

If you want something bad enough, nobody can hold you down. Only you can. You find a way to work within your means and you make it happen. Don't make excuses for what you dont want to do. If you really want it...you find the way.
  • kericarey
    Options
    Dont make excuses! I did this forever. I cant walk because i have two infants, I cant run because i dont have room for a treadmill, i cant loose weight because im about to be pregnant again. You hold the problem and the solution. i finally realized that and ive lost 2 pounds. I have a stroller and a long driveway. I walk it back and forth 5 times a day which is a mile. Look at what you do have and use it. Stop dwelling on what you cannot do and take advantage of what you can do. I see every day as a challenge. My husband is always taking us out to eat and I think hmmmm how am i going to defeat this obstacle. He brought me a package of M&Ms the other day and I though darn isnt he sweet. I ate one and flushed the rest down the toilet. Dont quit! Just get clever. Find a way around your problems. Dont be so overwhelmed with the numbers on the scale. make a comittment to yourself to live a healthier lifestyle. Make small changes. then the next week make another small change. This isnt going to happen overnight. Stay dedicated. We've all been there. you can do this.
  • Coming4U
    Options
    Just read some of your last comments. People are not trying to be mean they are trying to help you because im sure most of us have been their ourselves. I know I have and I recognize all the excuses...I made them first. Been there done that. People are trying to be supportive by showing you that you need to get real and honest with yourself. Honesty is the best support.
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Actually I've said thank you more than once. And this thread should be OVER. God dammit people are just being mean because they feel all high and mighty online.

i've actually just read through most of this. the incredibly vast majority of people were just being amazingly helpful. there are some great tips there! the one person who said they thought that you were attention seeking also had a viable opinion. his opinion isn't wrong just because it isn't the same as yours.
    now, this is the interwebz. you put something out there that says 'i'm always going to be fat', to be fair i'd have expected A LOT more negative posts. this is a really positive response from MFPland. you may want to consider your wording and ask for support rather than just make a negative statement then follow it with a list of excuses- particularly as many people on this site have been at the beginning of this journey and found ways around their excuses.
    and yes, some people do feel high and mighty online, but i suggest that you have a browse through the forums to see some of the responses that you could have got. i'd say you're lucky!
    so, have you got back on the wagon, or aren't you ready to do this yet?
  • Restybaby2012
    Restybaby2012 Posts: 568 Member
    Options

Im probably twice your age. I assure you, I have many many reasons why its so damn hard to lose this weight. Lets see......Ive had a broken back a couple times resulting in mega amounts of time in a body cast or sorts followed by months and months of inactivity. Ive had a fractured neck.........I have several titanium pins, plates and screws. ....I have a fair amount of trouble breathing for reasons no one can quite explain. et al

BUT Ive managed to drop 60 pounds since July. Im not rich, I live on a budget like many others here. I work full time and love it. I also workout at HOME in the evenings with various weights of dumbbells. When I first started out I used cans of soup or whatever I could grip. I do a lot of it sitting in a chair because my back is so fu@ked up I cant stand for long.

Excuse? H!! ..that!! Ive used em all and look where I am...........here at MFP with a hundred pounds to lose. It aint easy but who said it would be and what gives you the right to expect that?

JUST
    KEEP
    MOVING

seriously.....stop over thinking or over dramatizing this......just do it
  • karmahunger
    karmahunger Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I've taken some foods listed here and added them to my grocery list. Thanks!
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    Ate like a cow today, second day in a row...Losing motivation.

I honestlyjmight just give up on the whole weight loss thing and admit I will be fat forever.

Cows eat pretty healthfully.

Good luck!
  • CaoimheAine
    Options
    ...your choice. No one is going to care in the long run, except yourself.
    "If it's important, you'll find a way."
  • nicholettebell
    Options
    You either want to do it, or you don't. You either will, or you won't. Whatever happens, it is YOUR decision and only you are responsible. Many have done it before you, so it IS possible.

True story. Don't ever give up. Yes, there will be slip ups...they happen and will keep happening. But you can't quit. Have more better days than bad and keep living your life to the best of your ability. Everything will fall into place.
  • CrystalFlury
    CrystalFlury Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Trust me, you CAN do it. I've had my BAD days and I've had my good days. I lost 50ish pounds since August 2011. I NEVER thought it was possible, I always thought I was meant to be big. Here I am, a much smaller person, and able to maintain a healthy weight. I had a bad day today but I'm not going to let that hinder my hard work and continue maintaining. It takes time and patients, you can do this if you really want it.
  • cutiepieinchi
    Options
    You either want to do it, or you don't. You either will, or you won't. Whatever happens, it is YOUR decision and only you are responsible. Many have done it before you, so it IS possible.
    ^THIS!