Cleaning. Do you or don't you log it and why?

Options
14567810»

Replies

• lindakpete
    Options
    When I do vigorous cleaning which requires running up and down stairs and enough activity that I actually am sweating - then yes indeedy I think that qualifies. Normal little pick up and swinging a duster - uh uh -
  • amandaj1966
    amandaj1966 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I don't log my cleaning as exercise as I clean for the elderly as a job so would be adding about 7 hours each day so best not. :laugh:
    I only log on proper exercise and longer dog walks, however I hardly ever use up the extra calories. I add the exercise so I can just see for myself how much I've done or haven't done. x
  • MCNWifey
    Options
    I think that maybe the reason why MFP has the option to log cleaning is mainly for people that are highly obese and have a hard time moving around without getting out of breath. Therefore, I only log exercise that like someone else said "you change into gym clothes for" and I also log walks. I just don't eat all of my exercise calories back because I feel that MFP over estimates on the calories burned. Cleaning, walking in stores, sex...it's all everyday life.
  • janlee_001
    janlee_001 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I don't log it - I count it as a secret "bonus" for myself because I eat the appropriate calories WITHOUT the cleaning and therefore have some wiggle room in there and potential to lose weight faster - if that makes sense.

The only time I logged something like this was when I did yardwork for an entire day and was soooo sore and tired afterwards that I figured I should eat back some of those calories lol.

This and also depends on what your daily activity settings are - if you are normally sedentary on a daily basis and you do some cleaning then I would log but only 1/2 of the actual time spent - this also gives you wiggle room
  • foxro
    foxro Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I do count mowing the lawn
  • pwnderosa
    pwnderosa Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Now and then I will log cleaning - I'll put on music and dance around and clean the whole house as fast as I can from time to time and on those days I definitely break a major sweat. Sure, it is an excuse to eat a little more calories, but when I go at it vigorously for 2-3 hours or more, I do need some more food! Also, I generally log only about half the time I spend cleaning on those days so that I don't go overboard with it.
  • d1angel
    Options
    Daily upkeep, no. Vigorous housework, yes. And I'm losing, so no worries.
  • AnjaZ89
    AnjaZ89 Posts: 235
    Options
    well i dont log cleaning and "daily/normal" activity.
    although it would be greate to log carrying my 9months old around as strength training hahaha
  • MayFartDuringSquats
    Options
    I log 30 cals evertime I take a shower and have to wash my hair.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I don't log it because I do it all day long every day in little bursts as things need to be done and it's become part of my daily routine. However if I do power cleaning like steam cleaning all 4 levels of my house and washing all 4 bathrooms top to bottom, I might be tempted to log since I'd be sweating like crazy and it would take like 8 hours.

In general I don't log it.
  • twiztc
    twiztc Posts: 135
    Options
    I log every activity as i used the couch potato setting when i set this thing up.
    That way if i have a day where i cant do more than get myself dressed and fed then i have the bare minimum of what my body needs just to breathe and fart and wobble from the sofa to the loo. LOL

If i can rake leaves or mop the floors or walk down to the bus stop then i wanna know if i done enough to earn that extra cookie and coffee from tim hortons :-)
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    I don't know what REAL exercises is - if it's pumping iron or doing some insane thing with Insanity - you can keep it.

I don't add my daily gardening or dog walking opr even my weekend gardening if it is just sowing, planting or harvesting etc, but today I did add it as I forked a cubic metre of heavy compost from one bin into another and wheelbarrowed another cubic metre of compost onto the growing beds. So I did add two hours of gardening though I took more like four hours - I think the MFP calculation is too generous.

I don't think it is silly to add cleaning if it is more than your daily routine. Just because you are not in a gymn doesn't mean you are not working calories off.
  • mumtoadiva
    mumtoadiva Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    okay first week i admit i have logged my cleaning sessions, i have this thing where everyweek i move all the furniture around and clean though the house.. i'm talking wooden sideboards, full of stuff and i have to push them with my feet with my back against the wall lol as there heavy to just shove. (i serioulsy do this every week its like an ocd i have) but after reading a few of the comments which made me chuckle.. this obviously hasnt helped me before i'm still fat so from now on i wont be logging cleaning. but i do log my walking as i walk everywhere pushing my little one in her pushchair, but i only log 20 mins per day even if i spend an hour walking to a place and back.
  • nicki2223
    Options
    No iv logged cleaning once and did feel a cheat doing it as i dont really sweat my *kitten* of doing it and stop and smoke through out! ill log walking and jogging when i get that going again anything that makes me sweat really!