How to burn 600 calories in under 10 minutes

Options

Replies

• grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Rules vary sometimes between states. Here in MA, it is illegal to buy or sell blood. I don't know if in other states they will pay for blood, but not here. You can donate whole blood or red cells every 56 days, as it takes them that long to grow back. It is also why certain blood tests work, like A1C, because red cells "live" for about 90 days. Red cell or whole blood donations are pretty quick.

You can donate platelets 24 times a year, as platelets grow back within a few days. They also only keep for five days before they spoil, so platelet donors are always needed to maintain the supply. It's a great way to donate often, but it takes time. Donating a triple unit of platelets can take close to three hours with all the screening and whatnot. I don't know how often you can donate plasma, as they'd rather have my platelets.

You get to watch a movie, and nice people will bring you a cold drink and a cookie. That's better treatment than I ever got at home, and all they want is your blood!
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    They always ask, "Have you seen your dentist today?"
    My wife always answers, "Yes!"

our medical history questionnaire asks, "Have you ever had your blood refused by the transfusion service?" (probably should ask, "Have ever offered it?"

this plan will only work if you decline the tea and biscuit afterwards - I wouldn't want to have you driving behind my car.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Blood Donor Guidelines
    Thank you for wanting to save lives across North, Central and East Texas. At Carter BloodCare, we know that giving and receiving blood is of the utmost importance. That's why we have strict Donor Guidelines to protect the safety of our donors and recipients.
    Qualifications

Temporary disqualifications

Cold/Flu/Don't feel well: One day symptom-free. Deferred until feeling well and healthy.
    Pregnancy: OK to donate six weeks after end of pregnancy.
    Earlobe piercing: OK to donate if performed with a single-use device. If not, wait one year.
    Body and ear cartilage piercing: OK to donate, if performed in a Texas state–licensed facility. If not, wait one year.
    Hepatitis B vaccine: OK to give two weeks after vaccine.
    Tattoo: OK to donate if performed at a Texas state-licensed facility, otherwise wait one year from date of procedure.
    Last blood donation: Eight weeks between whole blood donations. Seven days between platelet donations up to 24 times per year. Sixteen weeks between automated double red cell donations.
    Blood transfusion or tissue transplant: None in the past year.
    Malaria: One year following travel to malarial area as defined by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). If you contract malaria, OK to donate three years after malaria is cured.

Permanent disqualifications

• AIDS/HIV infection or certain risk factors.
    • History of heart attack.
    • History of illicit drug use, including steroids, using a needle.
    • Human growth hormone injections (pituitary derived).
    • Viral hepatitis at age 11 or older.
    • Lymphoma, leukemia, or other blood cancers.
    • Diabetic who ever took bovine (beef) insulin injections.
    • More than three months spent (cumulative) in the United Kingdom between 1980 and 1996.
    • More than five years spent (cumulative) in Europe from 1980 to the present.
    • Member of the U.S. military, a civilian military employee, or a dependent of a member of the U.S. military who was based in any of the following countries: Belgium, the Netherlands, Germany between 1980 through 1990 or in Spain, Portugal, Turkey, Italy or Greece between 1980–1996.
    • Recipients of blood transfusions in the U.K. since 1980.

I am wondering what was going on in the UK between 1980 and 1996???
  • grim_traveller
    Options
    Some of the rules for disallowing donors are unfortunate. In the US they disqualify males if they have ever had sex with another male. A while back they began to ask women if they had ever had sex with a male who had ever had sex with another male. They also started asking if you were born the gender you are now.

As someone else pointed out, a certain amount of travel or residence in other countries will disqualify you. My favorite story was an older woman who was asked if she had ever been to the United Kingdom, and she replied that she and her husband had taken the grandchildren there last winter. And Epcot too.
  • hughtwalker
    Options

166 cases of vCJD (according to the Irish Blood Transfusion Service)
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    All presenting blood donors at participating Red Cross blood donor centers or blood drives from September 24 through October 22, 2012, can enter to win a trip to the set of The Walking Dead.

If you needed more incentive

COOL! I'm scheduled to donate on October 20. The Red Cross loves me, I'm O-Neg and donate regularly, like clockwork.
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options
    Blood Donor Guidelines

• Diabetic who ever took bovine (beef) insulin injections.
    • More than three months spent (cumulative) in the United Kingdom between 1980 and 1996.
    • More than five years spent (cumulative) in Europe from 1980 to the present.
    • Member of the U.S. military, a civilian military employee, or a dependent of a member of the U.S. military who was based in any of the following countries: Belgium, the Netherlands, Germany between 1980 through 1990 or in Spain, Portugal, Turkey, Italy or Greece between 1980–1996.
    • Recipients of blood transfusions in the U.K. since 1980.

Googled it and found the answer-- Mad Cow Disease
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options

As someone else pointed out, a certain amount of travel or residence in other countries will disqualify you. My favorite story was an older woman who was asked if she had ever been to the United Kingdom, and she replied that she and her husband had taken the grandchildren there last winter. And Epcot too.

LOL! Too funny!
  • grim_traveller
    Options
    The Red Cross will also disqualify you if you have ever exchanged sex for money. Sadly, no one has ever offered to pay me.
  • chroniclesofthinoholic
    Options
    I think I'll sit and donate every day then ;P
  • atxdee
    atxdee Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    great idea, we should all be donating anyway..

I actually used to work at my local blodd bank, I was a phlebotomist, and I was the one taking the donor's blood .. that was fun, i Miss it. Kinda..
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine is the director at our local blood bank - she said the #1 reason people need blood is related to treatment of cancer. I personally had a sister that required 36 pints due to a horrible accident - she is so lucky to be alive if not for the generosity of total strangers. It's such a small thing that can do wonders. Thanks for the great reminder to GIVE BLOOD!
  • hughtwalker
    Options
    I hated taking blood as a student - can't imagine it being "fun"
  • Katbody10
    Katbody10 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Donate blood! Here are some facts about blood donation:

1. It takes approximately 600 calories for your body to replace the blood you lose while donating.
    2. 5% of the population must donate once a year in order for a country to maintain adequate blood supplies.
    3. Blood supplies tend to run especially low during holiday and vacation periods.
    4. Although type-O is considered the universal donor, type AB is universal for plasma donations and is used when it is not possible to check blood type, for example, in premature babies and newborns.

oh yeah .. there's something I can do every day ! (headbang) LOL (sorry .. skype code)

okay .. although this is fantastic news and something you can do maybe .. once a month .. to be safe .. it's not a realistic weight loss plan.

It's handy to know you get credit for donating blood when a blood drive occurs in your local community via school, church, whatever organization you affiliate with .. but I question the purpose of this post on a weight loss or fitness site.

I don't mean to negate the good deed done by donating blood .. but I'd hate to put it into somebody's mind that they could just go donate blood real quick to create a "crash" deficit when they are trying to make a lifestyle change for health!

By all means .. Please donate blood for the good cause that it represents.. SAVING A LIFE.

Please do not use this as a means of weight loss ..
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    For some reason, the only time that I am able to donate is when I am donating in the mobile van at church. :) I have tried at my job and at my daughter's school and both of those times my iron was too low. Who knows?! I do enjoy donating blood as I feel that I have helped someone.
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I'd love to but unfortunately I cannot because of the rules/laws. :(

Ditto! I was placed on a permanent list in 2007 because of so much overseas travel, and the whole being in Germany when Chernobyl went down but it took them a little while to decide that was a bad thing since I had donated up until then so go figure...:grumble:

LOL, yep, same reasons for me as well! How funny!

I'm radioactive apparently.
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Do you happen to be gay? I hate that stupid rule!!! It's outdated and doesn't make any ****ing sense. I apologize if me asking comes off as calling you out, I am just curious! :)

Just to note, I also realize there are other reasons for being unable to donate, I was just wondering if anyone here can't donate for that reason. Sorry you can't donate, either way, but it's great that you would if you could!

I'm not gay :) Plenty of friends who are though!

There is quite few reasons why I'm not allowed, the two I can remember off the top of my head is that I was in Europe in the 80's and 90's. 1) The beef I ate during that time may contain mad cow disease. And 2) I was also in Europe for Chernobyl.

There were like six reasons but those are the main two I can remember because I'm like "Mad Cow? Really?" and Chernobyl because I find it interesting.

Edit:

According to my research, the beginning of the mad cow epidemic.

And Chernobyl.
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options

Ditto! I was placed on a permanent list in 2007 because of so much overseas travel, and the whole being in Germany when Chernobyl went down but it took them a little while to decide that was a bad thing since I had donated up until then so go figure...:grumble:

LOL, yep, same reasons for me as well! How funny!

I'm radioactive apparently.

The potentialy Mad Cow infected beef is even funnier because a) I'm vegetarian and b) have we not had such problems here on the home turf? Anyway... :ohwell:
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Donate blood! Here are some facts about blood donation:

1. It takes approximately 600 calories for your body to replace the blood you lose while donating.
    2. 5% of the population must donate once a year in order for a country to maintain adequate blood supplies.
    3. Blood supplies tend to run especially low during holiday and vacation periods.
    4. Although type-O is considered the universal donor, type AB is universal for plasma donations and is used when it is not possible to check blood type, for example, in premature babies and newborns.

oh yeah .. there's something I can do every day ! (headbang) LOL (sorry .. skype code)

okay .. although this is fantastic news and something you can do maybe .. once a month .. to be safe .. it's not a realistic weight loss plan.

It's handy to know you get credit for donating blood when a blood drive occurs in your local community via school, church, whatever organization you affiliate with .. but I question the purpose of this post on a weight loss or fitness site.

I don't mean to negate the good deed done by donating blood .. but I'd hate to put it into somebody's mind that they could just go donate blood real quick to create a "crash" deficit when they are trying to make a lifestyle change for health!

By all means .. Please donate blood for the good cause that it represents.. SAVING A LIFE.

Please do not use this as a means of weight loss ..
    I seriously doubt the OP was really suggesting giving blood as a weight loss ploy. It was a really nice reminder that giving blood is life sustaining. I appreciated the reminder, and don't see anything inappropriate about posting this on MFP site.
  • MrsGSR
    MrsGSR Posts: 88
    Options
    I seriously doubt the OP was really suggesting giving blood as a weight loss ploy. It was a really nice reminder that giving blood is life sustaining. I appreciated the reminder, and don't see anything inappropriate about posting this on MFP site.

This! Is the OP was suggesting it as a way of losing weight, I doubt it would be in 'Chit-Chat, Fun, and Games', I think it's just a clever reminder to give blood :)