breakfast?

Options
i myself do eat breakfast but ive heard a few times on here that breakfast literally is just calories and drinking water also wakes up your metabolism after sleeping and that you dont need to eat breakfast?

im new to this whole healthy lifestyle so is that true? dont you need breakfast?
ive always been told that breakfast is the most important meal of the day

Replies

• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it. Breakfast does not wake up your metabolism.
  • mfp116
    mfp116 Posts: 108
    Options
    really? do you have any proof?
  • drmerc
    Options
    really? do you have any proof?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9155494
  • mfp116
    Options
    thank you :D i shall have a read
  • mfp116
    Options
    ah i see.. fair enough i guess would be nice to hear more opinions on this but noone seems to be commenting hopefully this will change soon
  • drmerc
    Options
    ah i see.. fair enough i guess would be nice to hear more opinions on this but noone seems to be commenting hopefully this will change soon

are you looking for a specific answer?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19943985
  • Moshebelle1
    Options
    I've always heard that breakfast is really important (revs up metabolism etc.,) and I eat breakfast everyday (in fact, I couldn't imagine going about my day without any food in my stomach, I'd be so tired!). Calories are energy, and you need energy to do things- therefore, I eat breakfast ; ) I don't have any scientific proof...but I'm sure if you looked into it you'd find support for eating breakfast = )
  • mfp116
    Options
    see thats what i have ALWAYS been told aswell that you need breakfast to start the day but mfp is making me doubt that now
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Personally I think breakfast is very important for your metabolism and also to give you a good start to your morning. A good breakfast will give you energy.
  • ohmariposa
    ohmariposa Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    i always eat breakfast
    It gets your metabolism going and keeps me from being grumpy in the am
  • drmerc
    Options
    I give up, I'm moving to another planet
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Why would you not want to eat breakfast unless you are into starving yourself?? Are you eating all your calories with only 2 meals per day? It doesn't matter what you call them, meal 1, meal 2, meal 3...whatever. Sometimes I even eat breakfast for supper!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    i always eat breakfast
    It gets your metabolism going and keeps me from being grumpy in the am

No it does NOT get your metabolism going.
  • mfp116
    Options
    Why would you not want to eat breakfast unless you are into starving yourself?? Are you eating all your calories with only 2 meals per day? It doesn't matter what you call them, meal 1, meal 2, meal 3...whatever. Sometimes I even eat breakfast for supper!

i dont eat 2 meals a day i eat 3 but ive read many times recently about how breakfast doesnt matter people like "drmerc" for example who say infact it doesnt matter i just want some answers really but yeah..
  • ktmmom189
    ktmmom189 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I know when I eat breakfast I am not as hungry at lunch so I don't overeat. When I become too hungry look out I don't eat sensibly.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Personally I think breakfast is very important for your metabolism and also to give you a good start to your morning. A good breakfast will give you energy.

I would suggest you look at the post above you that quotes an actual study showing the comment re metabolism to be completely false.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    You can eat if you want to, don't if you don't. As long as your calorie intake is comparable you'll lose a comparable amount of weight.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

i dont eat 2 meals a day i eat 3 but ive read many times recently about how breakfast doesnt matter people like "drmerc" for example who say infact it doesnt matter i just want some answers really but yeah..

dmerc actually cited a study supporting his answer. None of the others giving contrary advice have. That should indicate which is the correct answer.

Intra-day meal frequency has no impact on weight loss, calories and macros remaining the same.
  • scrapfrfun
    Options
    I know when I eat breakfast I am not as hungry at lunch so I don't overeat. When I become too hungry look out I don't eat sensibly.

this ^^
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    see thats what i have ALWAYS been told aswell that you need breakfast to start the day but mfp is making me doubt that now

Its a myth that has been disproved