Weigh raw egg with or without shell?

Options

Replies

• kakar0t
    Options
    I haven't weighed eggs before but I plan to with my latest batch of eggs that a family friend brought over which are all different sizes.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    I believe eggs have the calories on the package. And, I don't think they expect you to eat the shell. Other than that, the MFP database has different size eggs and the calories.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I haven't weighed eggs before but I plan to with my latest batch of eggs that a family friend brought over which are all different sizes.

The shell doesn't weigh much. Do it whichever weigh (hehe) is easiest for you.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I would agree with only weighing what you eat. A banana peel is far heavier than an egg shell. An egg shell has so little weight I would just weigh the stinking egg whole and be done with it.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    You should eat the shell it has calcium - but wash it first. After washing, use a hair dryer on a cold setting to make the water evaporate so as to avoid weighting it.
  • barbaramitchell101
    barbaramitchell101 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    LOL
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    :huh:
    ^^^
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    You should eat the shell it has calcium - but wash it first. After washing, use a hair dryer on a cold setting to make the water evaporate so as to avoid weighting it.

good advice
  • rebelq
    rebelq Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Sorry- really thought you were kidding- didn't mean to mock!!! You are working too hard, but good for you for being so serious! Just don't get bogged down on the little things.
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    WITHOUT. Unless you want to snack on lovely,crispy egg shells and make lovely wraps with banana peels.

omNomNom:noway:
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I weigh the shopping cart and grocery bagger.
    One can never be too careful!

EGGCELLENT notion!! just in case some skin cells got latched onto the eggs and bananas!!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Lol why are you weighing your eggs????? Gosh some people make eating so difficult. They are already sorted into sizes... large, extra large, etc.... being a few calories off is not that big of a deal. Calorie amounts are not exact anyway. They are rounded. You don't see very many things that say "82 calories" on the nutrition label...
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I weigh eggs, too, because I get them from my CSA and not the grocery store so they are all different sizes, but even the ones you get at the store aren't all the same size. I weigh bananas and all the other fruit I eat, too. I have enough meals or portions of meals that I can't weigh from eating out most work days at lunch that I feel like I should weigh everything I can. You might be surprised how far off the nutrition labels are, too, especially with slices of bread and pre-sliced cheese.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Why would you even weigh your food in the first place?
    Seriously?
    Anyway, I agree with both of morebeans posts.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I weigh EVERYTHING and even I don't weigh eggs. They're already weighed when they're sorted in to the sizes they're sold as- Large, XL, Jumbo, etc.

As for bananas- I did actually weigh a few of them when I first started so I could get a visual understanding of 'large' and 'medium' bananas. You weigh them without skin. The thing about bananas is- one of the main benefits is that you can get them as convenience foods- and weighing them every time you're going to have one is very inconvenient. Don't make this harder on yourself than you need to.

This. exactly. I started out weighing EVERYTHING. Then, I got to where I could estimate pretty well when I'm not in my kitchen. If I am in my kitchen, I still weigh things. I frequently even use my scale to portion out my recipe into 4 equal servings. That level of OCD and I don't weigh eggs. I also generally use egg whites though... I think the yolk tastes icky.
  • charkane
    charkane Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    can anyone tell me what a serving size is? Is it a 1/2 cup?????
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I weigh eggs, too, because I get them from my CSA and not the grocery store so they are all different sizes, but even the ones you get at the store aren't all the same size. I weigh bananas and all the other fruit I eat, too. I have enough meals or portions of meals that I can't weigh from eating out most work days at lunch that I feel like I should weigh everything I can. You might be surprised how far off the nutrition labels are, too, especially with slices of bread and pre-sliced cheese.

Seems silly, since the yolk:white ratio is what actually matters. No point in weighing an egg if you aren't going to log the yolk and white separately.
  • tgcitw
    tgcitw Posts: 19
    Options
    Ok, I am going to ask a stupid question............I count the calories and ensure I use the correct serving size for my log. But why do people weigh their food, whats the benefit to this? Am I missing something? And for the recorded I guess I would only weigh what I eat, so without the shell.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Ok, I am going to ask a stupid question............I count the calories and ensure I use the correct serving size for my log. But why do people weigh their food, whats the benefit to this? Am I missing something? And for the recorded I guess I would only weigh what I eat, so without the shell.
    Accuracy. Some of the things also don't have options for serving sizes other than weight.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Weighing is generally more accurate than volume, and far more accurate than estimating. There are other benefits.

If I have a family dinner where I know how many total calories of the ingredients in the pan, then I weigh the empty pan, cook the dinner and weigh the cooked product, then I subtract the weight of the pan. If I have 2.8 pounds that has 2780 calories , and I eat 7oz of that - I can calculate my serving count.

Its a lot of extra work - but it stops overeating.