Why Overnight Oatmeal?

Options
neverstray
neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
It takes 5 minutes to cook. What is your deals? It just seems weird to me. You don't have 5 minutes to make oatmeal? It's faster in the microwave. And, don't you have to microwave it anyway in the morning? So, you save ZERO time?

Just confused on this. I mean, it really is freaking me out.

Unless, it's a little different somehow. Different taste or texture. Then, I understand. But, from what I hear, there is this illusion that it saves time. You had to cook it the night before. So, what time was saved???? LOL (People trip me out).

I will do things to save time. I consider myself an efficiency expert. But, if I add up the time, and none is saved, I wont do it.

Thanks.

Replies

• CymruBiology
    Options
    I don't get it either. Americans are strange creatures.
  • andeehrdz
    andeehrdz Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    It takes 5 minutes to cook. What is your deals? It just seems weird to me. You don't have 5 minutes to make oatmeal? It's faster in the microwave. And, don't you have to microwave it anyway in the morning? So, you save ZERO time?

Just confused on this. I mean, it really is freaking me out.

Unless, it's a little different somehow. Different taste or texture. Then, I understand. But, from what I hear, there is this illusion that it saves time. You had to cook it the night before. So, what time was saved???? LOL (People trip me out).

I will do things to save time. I consider myself an efficiency expert. But, if I add up the time, and none is saved, I wont do it.

Thanks.

From my point of view, your freak out over people's over night oatmeal is just as illogical as the people who make overnight oatmeal...

ha.
  • BetterCrazyThanLazy
    Options
    Does it need to be soaked overnight before cooking it? :bigsmile:

ETA: http://www.theyummylife.com/Refrigerator_Oatmeal MYSTERY SOLVED!
  • ggcat
    ggcat Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    You don't cook it at night- you put in the fridge and it "cooks" overnight. Some people like it cold.....

I like it both ways....and I enjoy being a strange creature- wouldn't change it for the world!
  • MrsJJUt
    MrsJJUt Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    You don't cook it. (well the way I do it) Its raw oats and milk and whatever else you add. I add yogurt and berries. Then it sits all night, the oats soak up the liquid, and I eat it cold. Its yummy and chewy! Its just a change from regular oatmeal and you can grab it out of the frig and eat it on the go. So no cooking in the morning. Just measuring and pouring and putting it in the frig the night before.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I didn't think you heated up the overnight oatmeal at all...that's why its more a summer parfait type oatmeal
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Highly processed oatmeal that's had all it's fiber, etc. stripped away takes 5 minutes.
  • nopeekiepeekie
    nopeekiepeekie Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Mostly you are referencing instant oats. Whole oats take a bit longer than 5 mins to cook.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Fu*k oatmeal, it creeps me out.
  • amyhoss
    amyhoss Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I don't really do overnight oatmeal, but I think it is easier to prepare in the evening just because you aren't as rushed.

Also, some people eat them cold and it's hard to get that effect if you wait till morning to make it.
  • StrongAtLast
    StrongAtLast Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    it's like saving time putting all the forks together in the dishwasher, and all the spoons..so then you can just pull them out and put in drawer. Dont' you have to sort them either way?
    Anyway, I think it' s for people like me who get up w/0 seconds to spare in the morning, so watching my oatmeal bubble over int the micro, then Ihave to clean the micro...etc. etc. LOL!
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    You don't cook it. (well the way I do it) Its raw oats and milk and whatever else you add. I add yogurt and berries. Then it sits all night, the oats soak up the liquid, and I eat it cold. Its yummy and chewy! Its just a change from regular oatmeal and you can grab it out of the frig and eat it on the go. So no cooking in the morning. Just measuring and pouring and putting it in the frig the night before.

Seriously? I never thought of eating it cold! I'll have to try that...
  • melissa5604
    Options
    Some people do make crock pot oatmeal , but they add apples and nuts to it so I guess those do need to be cooked.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I soak mine overnight instead of cooking it simply because I prefer the texture of it to regular cooked oatmeal. I never like oatmeal before because of the gooey texture. When I learned about the overnight oats thing, I tried it and liked it much better!
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    You mix the ingredients up and let it sit overnight. It is easier than cooking it and you can get better tastes. If this is freaking you out, then you might want to go lay on a couch a little bit.
  • TheViperMan
    TheViperMan Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Who the he!! eats oatmeal....?
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options

Exactly this and Nooooooo I don't have 5 minutes in the morning and oatmeal & microwaves = mess in my experience. OO is just grab and go. Those who haven't tried it are missing out!! I make apple cinnamon walnut or maple walnut.
  • mg413
    mg413 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I haven't made any but all the 'recipes' that I've found on overnight oatmeal state that the liquid & flavor get absorbed by sitting overnight and you don't cook it the next morning. I've never seen an overnight oatmeal made just as 'common' oats and water oatmeal. It's usually some sort of flavored oatmeal (chai, fruit, maple blueberry, etc.)

And I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to be a time saver! It's a flavor thing. :o) Hope that helps!
  • yougojo170
    Options
    sounds interesting. I would definitely try overnight oatmeal.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Cause they taste better

Choc overnight proats with Krave, Reeses puffs and pb patties

2012-01-28%252014.36.24.jpg

Banana cheesecake overnight proats topped with a banana and Girl Scout PB Patties

2012-01-21%25252014.13.14.jpg