How to burn 600 calories in under 10 minutes

Options

Replies

• bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    I'd love to but unfortunately I cannot because of the rules/laws. :(

Ditto! I was placed on a permanent list in 2007 because of so much overseas travel, and the whole being in Germany when Chernobyl went down but it took them a little while to decide that was a bad thing since I had donated up until then so go figure...:grumble:

LOL, yep, same reasons for me as well! How funny!

I'm radioactive apparently.

The potentialy Mad Cow infected beef is even funnier because a) I'm vegetarian and b) have we not had such problems here on the home turf? Anyway... :ohwell:
    I have to say, I can understand why being a vegetarian doesn't grant you an exemption from the Mad Cow thing. Animal products end up in so many food items. Can you honestly be 100% certain that you haven't accidentally had beef stock in a soup you thought was vegetarian? Or beef tallow in some sort of confection? If I remember correctly, McDonald's got in trouble because people thought the fries were vegetarian, but beef tallow was added to the frying oil in order to add flavor.

On the one hand, it seems silly to ban sexually active gay men from donating when the person they are sexually active with could be their husband. On the other hand, bathhouses are making a comeback now that HIV is no longer an automatic death sentence. I think that last part might piss me off more than the donation ban does (and I was already pretty pissed about that).
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    The strangest thing is that although I have lived in UK since 1949 I don't have it.
  • GetFitCarly
    Options
    Im a diabetic -_-
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    how many calories do you think there is in the blood? do you think you could eat back the calories by just drinking it?
  • KeithChanning
    KeithChanning Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    The strangest thing is that although I have lived in UK since 1949 I don't have it.

Me too. I had to stop giving blood as soon as I started taking blood pressure medication more than twenty years ago. One donation short of my gold badge, too. Five years' residence in the Middle East and nearly three years in sub-Saharan Africa didn't make any difference (I did have to confirm that I hadn't contracted malaria or slept with any local people), but 10mg of Atenolol each day was enough to finish it.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    how many calories do you think there is in the blood? do you think you could eat back the calories by just drinking it?

I'm not sure how many calories are in blood, but I would assume it is less than the 600 burned by your body in replenishing it. You body has to dedicate the calories that are already in the blood PLUS it has to burn the energy in creating the blood cells, etc.
    Me too. I had to stop giving blood as soon as I started taking blood pressure medication more than twenty years ago. One donation short of my gold badge, too.
    What is a gold badge? I think the only thing we have here is that, after 10 donations, you are eligible for blood insurance (basically, you get to skip the waiting line to get blood if you need to schedule a surgery or something), and you can also run for a board position on the national blood donors' organization.
  • healthystartgirl
    Options
    Thank you! I get transfusions about once every week (I'm going through chemotherapy and radiation) and even if I don't get your blood lol, it means a lot to me that you do it :)
  • healthystartgirl
    Options
    I donate regularly - have given close to 10 gallons over the course of many years. It's a simple thing that can save so many lives. I've heard that if everyone who was eligible to donate (and I realize there are many who cannot) would donate just ONCE a year, there would be no blood shortages. As it is, a very small percentage of people who are eligible actually ever donate. It's the "regulars" who go every 8-10 weeks that keep the system afloat.

Something to think about. Once a year is not asking a lot. (Again, if you are healthy and able.)

On a side note, it's the only time I ever feel guilt-free about eating snacks like honey buns and those little packages of donuts. :)
    Thank you! I get transfusions about once every week (I'm going through chemotherapy and radiation) and even if I don't get your blood lol, it means a lot to me that you do it :)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I donate pretty regularly, though for the last 18 months or so I've been giving plasma not whole blood. That started when I came back from a potential malaria zone, so they have an exemption for whole blood but will take plasma.
    Last week they asked me to donate platelets instead of plasma but I didn't have a high enough level of something (iron?) to donate, though I'm perfectly healthy.
    They exclude people from the UK here too (Australia) and even people who lived in the UK for more than 6 months during the 80's. I always wonder how they ever get blood in the UK - I guess they have to take the risk (of CJD) there whereas they don't here.

PS. I wish it only took 10 minutes - it is usually up to 90 mins for me from the time I arrive to the time I leave, though that includes waiting for interview and having a coffee and a snack afterwards. I think plasma takes a bit longer than whole blood because they put the blood through their fancy machine and give you back the red cells.
  • joveen86
    joveen86 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great post. I donated before several times. I am looking up places now to donate :)
  • know_your_worth
    know_your_worth Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    now i want to start donating! :)

just got another tattoo a couple of weeks ago though :|
  • vicki9168
    vicki9168 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Due to diabetes I apparently cant donate unless it is an emergency although I consider it a good thing to be able to do. To use 600 calories for anyone who does donate has got to be an added bonus, helping yourself while helping others.
  • KeithChanning
    KeithChanning Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    What is a gold badge? I think the only thing we have here is that, after 10 donations, you are eligible for blood insurance (basically, you get to skip the waiting line to get blood if you need to schedule a surgery or something), and you can also run for a board position on the national blood donors' organization.

In UK, 25 donations earned a silver badge and 50 a gold badge. I don't know if that is stil the case; as I said, it's more than twenty years since I was last able to donate.
  • DamnImASexyBitch
    DamnImASexyBitch Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I've never been able to donate because of being anemic. I tried on two seperate ocassions and they said thanks but no thanks.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I need to get over my horrid fear of blood donation. Just getting blood drawn at the doctor freaks me out.
  • stephc0711
    stephc0711 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I don't know about elsewhere, but in the Kansas City area, if you donate to Community Blood Center (CBC), the blood you donate has a VERY good chance of going to someone you know. It's the only place in the area that provides to local hospitals. I've donated several times, and there's nothing to it! I haven't been able to lately bc I'm iron deficient, and it drops my hemoglobin too low. :( BUT, as soon as I get it under control, I will be donating again!!
  • Litlbeast
    Litlbeast Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I've been turned away a few times in the past because of low iron. :( But maybe I can get some leeches! When the bf asks what the heck I'm doing I'll tell I'm working out. >:D.
  • a_mandolin_
    a_mandolin_ Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Tried to donate today, but I couldn't :( I ate well all day, drank tons of water, watched the tv and concentrated on breathing deeply, but I barely got 1/4 of the bag and I nearly passed out. Ghost white, black spots all over my vision and I was sweating more then than after a session at the gym!

I can try again 12/12. Any additional tips?

It was nice, though, there was a constant flow of others coming in to donate while I was there.
  • purpleiris777
    Options
    Great idea...thanks for sharing!
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    A pints a pound, the world around. (I'll get back to this).

To the people who haven't donated in years - check it out again, you may be accepted now.

If you don't donate - try. My husband and I are both multi gallon donors. I personally have iron challenges and keeping my iron up so I can donate helps my overall health. My kids both started at 16, following mom and dad's example. We also get t shirts and gift cards and such. Right now we are banned until December because of travel. It's very annoying.

Back to "a pints a pound": if you belong to a weigh in club, especially one with a prize, schedule your donation right before your weigh in. A pint does equal pound. :bigsmile: