Burnt out on cottage cheese & fruit, lunch suggestions?

Options
DJ2120
DJ2120 Posts: 407 Member
I usually have cottage cheese & some type of fruit for lunch every day. I'm so burnt out on it that I'm starting to hate cottage cheese. I'm sick to death of salads & I always have fish or chicken for dinner so I don't want to be eating that twice a day either. I miss having a good sandwich, but I don't think eating bread on a daily basis would be a good idea. Any suggestions for healthy low calorie lunches? If I eat cottage cheese one more time I think I'll be sick.

Replies

• meganmcg77
    Options
    I feel the same about salads, so did some searching for something different for lunch this week. Ended up making a batch of 'Tuscan Soup' - FoodTV site recipe from Ellie Kreiger (spelling?). It made about 8 cups, divided by 5, 265 calories per serving. Really filling and good. I subbed cabbage for the spinach. It's a good base soup that you could add lots of different veggies to.

Oh, and I added 2 cans of beans instead of 1.
  • 9jenn9
    9jenn9 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with eating bread every day? Unless it's a trigger food for you that will cause you to dive face first into a large bowl of refined carbs,(or you're gluten intolerant) I think there's room for some bread. If you love sandwiches, go for it. Just be thoughtful about how you put it together. Whole grain bread, lean protein, lots of veggies and careful with the dressings. If you feel satisfied and have some variety in your eating plan, it's easier to stay in control and stick with it.
  • bsgkid
    bsgkid Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Lean Cuisine has a Steak Tips Portobello meal with broccoli that comes in at only 160 calories and is pretty low carb. They have several meals at 200 or fewer calories.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with eating bread every day? Unless it's a trigger food for you that will cause you to dive face first into a large bowl of refined carbs,(or you're gluten intolerant) I think there's room for some bread. If you love sandwiches, go for it. Just be thoughtful about how you put it together. Whole grain bread, lean protein, lots of veggies and careful with the dressings. If you feel satisfied and have some variety in your eating plan, it's easier to stay in control and stick with it.

^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I make small wraps using a smaller torila shell, thinnly sliced turkey or ham and a spread of cheese like you put on a cracker (2 tbs max). It's high protein, low fat and just the right size for my reduced size stomach (bariatric surgery last year). I also make my own soups adding lots of meat and beans for the protein. By making it myself I can control the fat and salt in it. Good luck!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever you want as long as it fits in your budget for the day. There are no bad foods, too much of any food is bad. The reason people fail is because they "diet" and try to live on cottage cheese, broccoli and steamed fish. Learn to eat real food in the proper proportions for the rest of your life. If cottage cheese is boring now what is it going to be 10 years from now?
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I eat an 80 calorie low carb wrap (La Tortilla factory) stuffed with a meat, veggie, olive oil mayo, and 3 boiled egg whites almost daily for lunch. Yummy!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I also keep some Campbell's tomato soup in my desk and have that some days. But most days I eat out - soups, sandwiches, or lean meat and veggies. Today its just yogurt and baked cheetos since I don't have time to go somewhere LOL.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I usually rummage around for leftovers and eat a variety of different things.

Also, you can make a "sandwich" between lettuce leaves (or a wrap); that's pretty good. I usually eat a whole grain bread for sandwiches, though.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with eating bread daily.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    <<<< eats bread pretty much daily.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I usually have some sort of leftover from the night before.
  • embercakez
    Options
    <<<< eats bread pretty much daily.
    ^this.
  • Vince_1964
    Vince_1964 Posts: 359 Member
    Options

^^^^ This. Eat what you want - in moderation - otherwise it's pretty hard to stick with it.
  • DJ2120
    DJ2120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great suggestions so far!

I was avoiding bread because I already eat oatmeal for breakfast daily & I thought all the carbs would put on weight?
  • JSheehy1965
    Options
    I love the Flat Out Foldits - especially the rosemary and olive oil. Also edamame hummus, with tomatoes and a little reduced fat feta cheese on the flat breads. Love Lean Cuisine Spring Rolls...especially the Thai-Style chicken ones. (the flat out breads are low carb/cal)
  • sandylion
    sandylion Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I eat whole grain bread sandwiches almost daily. I'm in the "eat more to weigh less" camp though.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    SANDWICHESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS (make the world go round)
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great suggestions so far!

I was avoiding bread because I already eat oatmeal for breakfast daily & I thought all the carbs would put on weight?

That's a myth. Weight gain is determined by the ratio of how many calories you eat to how many you burn.