I gained 18 pounds overnight

Options
I weighed 161 when I went to bed last night and when I woke up I weighed 179. Yeah so any ideas on what happened. I been a lot of problems with yo-yoing to, I thought I was doing everything right

Replies

• Lindseyelizabeth87
    Lindseyelizabeth87 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    My guess, your scale is broke.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    My guess, your scale is broke.

+1
  • kaytbaggs
    kaytbaggs Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    It has to be your scale to have that much of a jump in weight. Start again tomorrow and keep a written log, or just go get another scale...
  • clairecandoit11
    clairecandoit11 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Woah.... that has GOT to be your scale! Did you weigh yourself on the same scale both times?? There is NO WAY that is body fat and I don't think that could even be water weight! That is kind of scary if it isn't the scale!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I weighed 161 when I went to bed last night and when I woke up I weighed 179. Yeah so any ideas on what happened. I been a lot of problems with yo-yoing to, I thought I was doing everything right

Unreliable scale.

Step on and off of it 5 times. How many measurements match.

Did you workout last night before weighing and eating?
    False weight loss.
    Did you eat a bunch of carbs and higher sodium stuff?
    False weight gain.
  • 13inchestogo
    13inchestogo Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I would go to a number of different scales to confirm. That sounds... CRAZY!

Had a lot of salt the day before? Didn't drink enough water? Have you been working out INSANELY and super sore? While you build muscles your body retains water to create them! I gained '7 pounds' in a week once. But it was all water weight and dropped after the next week.
  • schell81
    schell81 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Either your scale is broke or you consumed 63000 calories in your sleep last night
  • coe28
    coe28 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Either your scale is broke or you consumed 63000 calories in your sleep last night

This happens to me ALL the time!!! :laugh:
  • TaraTLC83
    TaraTLC83 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I had that issue once... I learned that you're not supposed to store your scale sideways. If you do, you need to put it down, and not touch it for a couple of minutes before you use it. Apparently, if you move your scale around and then step on it, it's likely to be inaccurate. I've now plunked my scale down in a spot in my room and am no longer moving it around. My numbers are much more stable.
  • JJ2787
    JJ2787 Posts: 7
    Options
    someone once told me that around "that time of month" a woman body holds more water, anyone know if this is true?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    someone once told me that around "that time of month" a woman body holds more water, anyone know if this is true?
    Yes, I'm sure you're retaining 18 pounds of water weight. That has to be it.
  • jworb
    jworb Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    My scale always gives me wonky readings when the battery needs to be changed. Perhaps that's it?

Edited for typo
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's true for some women, but I'm highly doubting at 18lb gain.

Did you weigh at the same time yesterday? Did you eat a lot of salty foods yesterday? Were you wearing the same clothes when you weighed in yesterday?
  • SIMONERENEEPINKSPARKLEQUEEN65
    Options
    girl something must be wrong with youe scale thats impossible:flowerforyou:
  • hope8311
    hope8311 Posts: 166
    Options
    during that time of month you can gain a couple lbs however it goes away. But not 10 lbs...
  • LelliAmi
    LelliAmi Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I think you might need a new scale..that's too much of a jump. Yo-yoing is one thing, but that's ridiculous!! 5 lb difference at most makes sense. In fact, it's normal. Your weight should fluctuate a little throughout the day. But 18 lb just doesn't make sense.
  • MelissaMisevicz
    Options
    Not that much water...
  • annemw82
    annemw82 Posts: 97 Member
    Options

Yeah that's true...but not 18 lbs worth. For most women it's 2-5 lbs during that special time.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    That's impressive

Maybe you had rocks in your pocket or something like that?
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    You know you aren't supposed to keep lead in your pants when you are weighing, right?