Marathon Newbies Group week three!!!

Options

Replies

• princesspurple
    Options
    I feel the same AmyDoesIt! I did 6.5 miles yesterday and I am so wiped today. I did a total of 20.5 miles this past week...!
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Good Morning to all!

Just wondering if anyone is having issues with recovering from their long runs? They seem to wipe me out the next day. Does anyone have advice- could it be diet? For the most part, I eat healthy (mostly clean eater). My long run days - I seem to be hungry all day and TIRED! Ran 10 miles outside (YAY!) Saturday morning felt good but was exhausted yesterday-

Great job on the 10 miles. That is awesome. I tend to have to take a nap after long runs. I also make sure to eat a snack right before bed since I do my runs in the morning. When I get back from my runs I will eat something small, take a shower and eat a meal. After taking a 30minute nap I am ready to go the rest of the day. The nap can be hard but I schedule it with my husband and daughter and it becomes a part of the routine.
    Got new shoes this weekend- decided to go back to BPRC where they fit you for the right shoe. Ended up with a pair of Brooks(never tried before) and went up 1/2 size from my usual. Looking forward to testing them out this week. Also picked up some body glide as I'm having trouble with blister in the arch of my foot. Hope this helps-

I tried on Brooks but they didn't work for me. I like having the running shoes big because it gives extra space in the toe box so I can wiggle my toes.

I went out for 7 miles yesterday but I hurt by leg and ended up walking my two miles back to my house. I am feeling better today but I think my body isn't used to the new pace I have been running yet. For once my lungs aren't the limiting factor, it is my leg muscles.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I am wiped day of the run but not day after....I did 11 miles yesterday and I feel pretty darn good today.

Are you eating before/after the long runs? I'm also sipping a couple ounces of gatorade while I run and I ate some energy jelly bellies....ate 4 beans at 5 miles and 4 more at 7 then treated myself to a mocha latte when I was done....caffeine carbs protein...kinda like supercharged chocolate milk.

I think diet makes a WORLD of difference in how you feel. I also eat about an hour before I run-carbs and protein.
  • Chenoachem
    Options
    Before runs, I have a Power Bar Nut Naturals bar.

Durning runs, I have always like the jelly belly sport beans but I have a new thing, the powerbar gel blasts. I eat one every 3 miles or so and it works with my blood sugar problem. I also use diluted propel water packets in my water bottles.

After a run I like the Bolthouse Farms Vanilla Chai. It is like 20g of protein, caffeine (helps with endurance) and carbs.

What else do people do?
  • AmyDoesIt
    Options
    Way to go Chrissy on 11mi !

On my Sat. 10 mi run I had Greek yogurt (15 g protein) w/ banana & flaxseed about 1/2 hour before my run and pita w/ peanut butter and apple after. I don't think that was too bad. I can't do caffeine because of a bladder problem (IC), so I'll have to try more protein after run and maybe a nap as suggested.

Thinking back, maybe I went for too much too fast- total miles of 30 (more than a 10% increase- which is what training suggest)...... I just got a wild hair to push to see if I think I can really do this. I'm going to try to stick with the training schedule this week.

5 mi on treadmill this morning felt good!
  • chrissyh
    Options
    Hoping to sneak in 2 or 3 miles at lunch...2 miles is what's on the training plan but 2 miles just seems like not enough anymore! We'll see what time allows.

I like to have Stoneyfield organic Yogurt and peaches before a run but I am out of the yogurt right now. The sugar really does help. I'll have to try some of the greek yogurt.

I am very careful about too much increase too fast...and so far so good injury wise! I get so impatient though wanting to hit that next milestone! This week is a recovery week that was supposed to be 13 miles but I figure I'll hit about 15ish! still lower than last two weeks were 20 each. Next week 21. then 20 (week before the 1/2) 18.1 - week of half.
  • Chenoachem
    Options
    I was going to run 2-3 miles at lunch today too. However, I have a little problem where I forgot my shoes. Although running in steel toe boots would be more strength training, I don't want the chance to injure myself. So instead, I called my husband and he is going to come home early to watch my daughter and I will go before dinner.

Ah, poor planning.
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options
    Smashed last week's goal of 17 miles and got in 23...whoo hoo!

Getting out for 4-5 tonight with my group, so I'm looking forward to that. I had to run an errand during lunch and saw a few people out running. I am so jealous! Maybe not today because the ucky weather would make my hair look even worse, but I wish I could get out there on lunch and still come back looking decent. My head sweats like nobody's business and I end up looking insane. Oh well.

Oh yeah, I think my goal for this week is 20.
  • chrissyh
    Options
    I posted this on the Runners club thread too-I am looking for as much feedback as I can get!

Ran my longest run Sunday-11 miles. During my run my left foot really hurt...I've been experiencing some cramping recently that I chalked up to Plantar facititis but this now seems different It did it again today during my run-only 3 miles today. It's not like cramping while I am running it just hurts - along the bottom, outer side of my foot, not the heal or arch....doesn't hurt until I run on it-did strength training last night and it was fine.

This is a recovery week for me so I am thinking it will be a very easy week on runs to give it some time to rest.

I am icing it now....any thoughts????
  • Chenoachem
    Options
    Chrissy,

I did a quick google search and came up with a bunch of running issues it can be. I would suggest going and getting it checked. Some of the things it could be get cause serious damage over time if not in check.

Check this out and see if it relates:

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/forum/showthread.php?p=2572

Good Luck.
  • AmyDoesIt
    Options
    Chrissy,

I agree that I would go have it checked if it continues.

How old are your shoes? After a few long runs and really feeling it in my feet, knees and hips the past few weekends - I decided to replace mine after 4 months. Wearing the right shoes for your type feet is huge!

I have plantar fs and wear these great insoles that my running store & foot Dr. suggested- I think they are LYNCO (you get fit on a machine according to your arch and stress points). I love them!

Good Luck-
  • chrissyh
    Options
    I will have it checked if it's not better after my recovery week this week.

How often should we get new shoes - mine only have 150ish miles on them?
  • Chenoachem
    Options
    How often should we get new shoes - mine only have 150ish miles on them?

According to the runners at the running store I use, it depends greatly on continous mileage and comfort. It is generally recommended to get new ones between 200 and 400 miles. One guy at my running store said he went almost 1000 miles before changing the shoes. Some of it depends on comfort, wear and quality of the shoes. My Asics are comfortable for 200-300 miles. Then they just start to hurt my feet.
  • chrissyh
    Options
    I am hoping to get another month out of them but maybe that's what's going on.
  • itsbella
    itsbella Posts: 1,101
    Options
    crissy, I'm curious what kind of feedback you get from the runners thread.
  • gym_rat
    Options
    I signed up for the Rock n Roll Seattle Marathon on June 26th about 10minutes ago. My mom and I also booked a hotel room last night near the start line. Wow. I'm really going to do it! WOOT!
  • chrissyh
    Options
    crissy, I'm curious what kind of feedback you get from the runners thread.
    as far as shoes are concerned, I had several responses....seems like the final answer is...

allow rest days for your shoes...up to 72 hours being best
    you'll get more miles out of your shoes if you rotate between pairs
    250-500 miles on a pair of shoes. At first I posted that I had about 150 miles but now that I think about it I've got over 200 on them so that's probably my foot pain.

which means I need at least 1 more pair of shoes and being that I think I've worn mine out already I need 2. I'll get one more pair saturday and another mid march.

I will stay in a mizuno but may use a different brand as my second pair....I'll ask at the runners store and see what they think. I'm all about cushioning!

gymrat-I would love to do one of those races-maybe this fall or next year.
  • Chenoachem
    Options
    I hope the new shoes work out for you Chrissy.

Today I did a 6 mile tempo run. My heart was being all kinds of flippy and my HRM recorded by HR at 210bmp. I slowed down, walked a bit, and then moved on. Just wasn't a good day for me.
  • AmyDoesIt
    Options
    chenoachem- what is a tempo run? just wondering...

chrissy- good luck on the shoes- over the last year i've tried mizuno's, asic's and now the brooks- liked them all and am into the cushioning as well. just trying to find that perfect shoe for me.

hope the foot is feeling better!

today was a short 3 mi. run (doesn't seem like enough) - but am trying to stick to my training schedule this week- hoping it gives me more endurance on my long weekend run.
  • Chenoachem
    Options
    chenoachem- what is a tempo run? just wondering...

It is a type of speed workout where for some distance you run at race pace instead of easy pace. So for the program I was doing easy pace is around 12 minute miles, so the tempo run was at 10.5 minutes miles. This is different from interval runs where I run at 8 minute miles for 0.5 mile spurts with jogs in between.

Hope that makes sense.