Aldi's Shocker!

Options
124»

Replies

• haylz247
    haylz247 Posts: 435
    Options
    So, I used to avoid Aldi's like the plague because I felt most of their stuff was unhealthy and was downright scared of their produce and meat. I can say with all honesty now, Aldi's has really made a turnaround (at least on the produce... still not touching the meat)!!! Their weekly produce specials can't be beat either!

Other healthier things I was able to buy there - turkey dogs, raw unsalted almonds, Naked green juice (kinda like a smoothie but includes spinach and a bunch of other crazy healthy stuff) - shockingly tasty, yogurt covered raisins (a little too sweet but would do if I was having an intense sweet tooth, egg substitute, soy milk, etc. I really love what they've done and the cashier said their adding new Fit 'N Active stuff all the time!!!

LOVE IT!!! :smile:

Naked is FULL of sugar! Yummy though.

I don't buy meat form there either. Looks scary and i want to cut down on meat.
    The fruit and veg can be cheap but depends what offers are on elsewhere. The frozen fish isn't too bad. I haven't seen much fit 'n active products in ours!

Haven't been for a while because i prefer online shopping. Less hassle then! And no long queues because there only seems to be one or two serving at a time! Can't pack bags at the till either. Have to pay and then move to the window at the front. Bloody cheeky!
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I love Aldi! We have three kids, and we save tons of money there. I do use their frozen chicken breasts, and their 93% lean ground beef. I have also bought their frozen raw easy peel shrimp and it was good too.

Yep, I also have 3 children and I feel it's my responsibility to be as conservative with our budget as I can be, without sacrificing quality... I did buy frozen tilapia there once... It was the worst frozen fish I've ever bought (very FISHY tasting - yep, I know how ridiculous that sounds)... But, I haven't tried their shrimp. I'll have to give it a go!

I only have two, but they are growing boys - so it works out to 3-4 depending on the day! lol.

But, I wanted to say, we always buy the fish there and yes (it does taste like fish, um, it is fish) but you can impart extra flavor depending on how you prepare it. We love to put it in a foil pack with some Old Bay seasoning (or lemon pepper, or season salt) with a squeeze of fresh lemon, some dill, and a small amount of butter. SO delicious. Of course, home made tartar sauce with plain 0% Fage and some homemade pickles tastes pretty good with it too!

I also buy the frozen turkey breasts and put them in my crockpot. So much cheaper a bit healthier than standard lunch meat. We have also bought the Turkey Ham in the refrigerator section, and use our home slicer. So much cheaper than the deli and our local store (although we have to cut it).
  • Tiff050709
    Tiff050709 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I love Aldi. I have eaten their meat and it's fine. It's a really good company.
  • thatjulesgirl
    thatjulesgirl Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I'm in Queensland, Australia and I *ADORE* Aldi! First got turned onto it for their Expressi coffee maker (which is now an integral part of my life, and generally sustains me) but then quickly realised I'd been misjudging them.

I always thought the meat and produce especially was dodgy... but it turns out they have the largest selection of organic, grass-fed beef I've ever found. It's all local, unbelievably tasty and CHEAP. I'm still quite picky about their produce, but that's probably because I have an amazing local farmer's market a few blocks from me that I'm very loyal to....

I can highly recommend the Expressi coffe, their organic milk and the Australian meat (particularly Highland Park). They also have really delicious frozen pizzas (which are pretty healthy) and lots of packaged stuff I would never give up! :D
  • philm00x
    Options
    I usually buy meats from a local market that has a butcher on site, so all the cuts are fresh, packaged same day. The meats at Aldi, I agree, aren't too great, but the produce is really good. The rest of my typical groceries like bread, milk, etc. I will get at Aldi because they taste as good as name brands for a lot lower price, and just as nutritional.
  • shadoewz
    Options
    I guess we have been lucky....never had a problem with Aldi's meats.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Aldi is awesome and I rely on them very much...I have a MFP friend that calls me the "Jared of Aldi"...
  • philm00x
    Options
    Aldi is awesome and I rely on them very much...I have a MFP friend that calls me the "Jared of Aldi"...

haha nice
  • abbiekgurl
    abbiekgurl Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Seems like the meat (and sometimes the produce) are a hit or miss, depending on the location. I've been going to Aldi's since I was young and have no intention of stopping. I actually converted my husband and he loves it! And as so many have mentioned, the fit & active line they've recently started is a huge bonus! I like to get the fit & active ground turkey, but to each their own. And I'm loving all the apple and pumpkin items for fall!

On an unhealthy note, their pizza bites are the best I've ever had. Last time I indulged (my "last" meal before starting MFP), I had Totino's instead and they were nowhere near the same quality of flavor!
  • KIMBAILEYWILLIAMSON
    KIMBAILEYWILLIAMSON Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I am not holier than thou.

People shouldn't have to ask to be educated. I actually gave you advice that people are paying me for as a holistic nutrition educator.

Comments you made are exactly the reason I barely post on the forums anymore.

I am tired of educating people that want to lead their processed food lives and don't care about actually being healthy.

Just counting calories and losing pounds does not make one healthy. The quality of what you put in your body counts for much more.

Well perhaps the reason that you get comments such as mine correlate directly with your approach? Might want to think long and hard on that one. Also, how would anyone have a clue what your credentials are? You come across as rude and abrasive.

My aunt, who has the highest academic credentials on both nutrition, and personal training, would disagree wholeheartedly with your opinion on turkey. Also, I was not trying to consult with a holistic nutritionist... Honestly,can't afford to spend my entire paycheck at places like Whole Foods. I am glad that you have found what works for you. Unfortunately, what started off as a positive post, turned into a ridiculous battle of wills.

Please just click ignore user on my name and I will do the same. I love MFP and the SUPPORTIVE people I find here. I am always learning new things and getting great ideas.

I APOLOGIZE TO EVERYONE WHO HAD THE MISFORTUNE TO READ THIS TEDIOUS BYPLAY... THANK YOU FOR COMMENTING ON THE TOPIC...

^^^^^^^^^ No need for you to apologize I think you handled it VERY well. I just started shopping at Aldi's 2 weeks ago and thanks to your post I will be checking it out even more. Have a great day :)
  • lightweightdiva
    lightweightdiva Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, I don't think there's anything wrong with giving people helpful information. But just by starting your post with "hmmmmm" you created a negative tone that was completely unnecessary, IMO.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    Another Aldi fan here! I go every week to get my milk and eggs (cheapest place around me). Then some canned veggies and pasta, and their pre-sliced and bricked cheeses are inexpensive and just fine fo rmy tastes. Frozen salmon is decent. I even get toaster waffles for the kid. He doesn't know any better. And the best part is that I've become a regular, and all the employees know us, and they stash some candy for my boy, if he's been good. He's even helped them stock the shelves while I shop. He's only 5!
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    I haven't gone to Aldi since a cashier was stabbed at mine.

Yikes. I'd stay away, too.
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I have done all my shopping at Aldi. The only thing I have a problem with is the produce only lasts a few days in the fridge. It is great if you go every day and get them, but if you need it to last for long you need to pay attention.

I don't eat much of the fit and active anymore, but it was great when I was eating it. I don't buy meat there because there are no hormone free options. It's amazing how much pickier I have become when it comes to food. I am not being a snob, Aldi is great for some things. I buy my walnuts, tuna, eggs, and other staples there. Great deals.
  • amybrauch
    amybrauch Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    My Aldi has great meat. I only buy my ground beef there. 93% lean.