Existing on a LOWER CLASS Income

Options

Replies

• Prudiddy
    Prudiddy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I understand this completely and just experienced that too. I recently had to make a serious decision to have the money taken from my earnings so I could have medical coverage. I went about 2 1/2 years without it because it would have cost me a little under half of what I made each pay period to have good coverage for myself and the family. I just could not afford to pay $700 per pay period for my entire family in the beginning. The government said I made too much to get state medical and if I did, there would be a $1900 share of cost per month. I could either pay $700 to my employer or $950 to the state or wait until I accumulated more seniority with my company which I did and am very thankful that now the insurance is a little more comfortable to manage. Sometimes it is not an easy decision to make considering in my case, normal monthly bills, food, fuel, student loans and other necessities for the household, but I held on and now I'm glad I did. I am blessed to have a career and a beautiful family. Good luck to you.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Yes, there are loans, but then you have to pay them back at a ripe 6.8% interest rate and post graduate jobs with a liveable salary are not easy to get - if they exist at all.

Getting a student loan is the WORST mistake I have ever made in my life.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I got a $1700 check (from scholarships) every semester AFTER tuition, books, and board was paid for.

You people did it wrong in HS...
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    It is easier to make the money go farther when tuition is $600/semester versus $20,000+ a semester at UCLA or UCSD.

Where the hell did your kids go to college to pay $600/semester? I have attended Community Colleges in New York City and Florida and you expect to spend $2,000 at least per semester.
  • jplord
    jplord Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Mira Costa - Oceanside, CA
    Palomar - San Marcos, CA
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Might I suggest a few blogs of families that are living on Lower class incomes? And with 4 kids.
  • k8blujay2
    Options
    It is easier to make the money go farther when tuition is $600/semester versus $20,000+ a semester at UCLA or UCSD.

Where the hell did your kids go to college to pay $600/semester? I have attended Community Colleges in New York City and Florida and you expect to spend $2,000 at least per semester.

In Texas I paid less than $1000 for a semester.... maybe even around $500... I can't remember now. but I do remember not having a problem working minimum wage and paying for college then.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Mira Costa - Oceanside, CA
    Palomar - San Marcos, CA

Dude you gotta get with the times Palomar costs more than that:

https://bigfuture.collegeboard.org/college-university-search/palomar-college
  • k8blujay2
    Options
    So either it can be done or these people are lying out their arses:

http://thepeacefulmom.com/living-on-less-than-28000-a-year-series/
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    School and health are paid by the government.

You silly Canadians. I wonder what it is you think your taxes pay for. :noway:

This is all such a load. "I can't afford college." "My parents never went to college, so they don't see the value in it and won't help me." "I'm getting raped by having to work a fast food drive-thru window" :sad: :sad: :sad:

I grew up poor. My parents didn't go to college. I busted my *kitten* in high school to get as many scholarships as I could, got a few bucks in Pell grants (seriously, I got like $450 a semester), and the rest of it I paid for by getting a J-O-B. I graduated with ZERO debt. The reason college is so freaking expensive now is because the government throws unlimited funds at people in the form of student loans. Many of thse people should not even be going to college (yes, I said it ... college is not for everyone). And then you have morons majoring in "literary journalism" or some other such nonsense instead of getting a marketable degree with an income potential that allows them to pay back their loans within a reasonable time period.

Furthermore, a college education entitles you to a diploma, not a job. Nobody OWES you employment or a fat paycheck.

Finally, stop acting like you're a victim because you find yourself working at a job that doesn't give you benefits. At least for now, America is still the land of the free. You don't have to work there. If your wages aren't good enough for you, then quit. Go sit at home and collect your welfare check and be glad it's now the government, instead of your boss, who is exploiting you.

Sweet fancy Moses ... if you wonder why America is in the crapper, take a long, hard look at the whiny pansies in this thread.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    So either it can be done or these people are lying out their arses:

http://thepeacefulmom.com/living-on-less-than-28000-a-year-series/

Of course it can be done! I have lived on less than that my whole life. I have a family or four. it still sucks. (especially when the Dept of Ed takes my annual income subsidy (EITC/CTC) when they are the reason that my salary is still a pittance)
  • LilPinkNinja
    Options
    Didn't get to read through it all, but OP, please go to http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/ and fill it out. A lot of people don't even realize what kind of grants and tuition assistance they qualify for until they fill it out.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

This is all such a load. "I can't afford college." "My parents never went to college, so they don't see the value in it and won't help me." "I'm getting raped by having to work a fast food drive-thru window" :sad: :sad: :sad:

I grew up poor. My parents didn't go to college. I busted my *kitten* in high school to get as many scholarships as I could, got a few bucks in Pell grants (seriously, I got like $450 a semester), and the rest of it I paid for by getting a J-O-B. I graduated with ZERO debt. The reason college is so freaking expensive now is because the government throws unlimited funds at people in the form of student loans. Many of thse people should not even be going to college (yes, I said it ... college is not for everyone). And then you have morons majoring in "literary journalism" or some other such nonsense instead of getting a marketable degree with an income potential that allows them to pay back their loans within a reasonable time period.

Furthermore, a college education entitles you to a diploma, not a job. Nobody OWES you employment or a fat paycheck.

Finally, stop acting like you're a victim because you find yourself working at a job that doesn't give you benefits. At least for now, America is still the land of the free. You don't have to work there. If your wages aren't good enough for you, then quit. Go sit at home and collect your welfare check and be glad it's now the government, instead of your boss, who is exploiting you.

Sweet fancy Moses ... if you wonder why America is in the crapper, take a long, hard look at the whiny pansies in this thread.

See, I should have done like you. I made straight A's in high school, so everyone said, "go to college." I wish had gotten a job first.

Student loans should be illegal. :tongue:
  • red1775
    red1775 Posts: 22
    Options

We need a like button because you hit it on the head.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

Disagree. The companies that RUN and loan student loans and manage your loans should be disassembled and the people managing those companies should be put in jail. But the loans themselves are not bad. I have a fixed loan at 4.8% and learned my lesson on private loans. Definitely NEVER get a private loan for school. 12$% on that bad boy. It's on the fast track to repayment, that's for sure.

My main student loan was through the Department of Education. Then it got bought out by Mohela. I was not notified via mail, email, phone call, carrier pigeon that this was done. I didn't catch it until two months later when I realized my loans weren't being taken out of my bank account. Had to buy arrears and everything. What a f'n fiasco that was.

College is available to those that want to go. And no, a degree doesn't guarantee you a job, but it helps a great deal. And opens up your employment opportunities beyond those that just require a diploma. Even an AA or AS is better than nothing.
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    A college degree does not guarantee a job.

This.

They look for the experience along with a degree. That's my personal experience after I've graduated a few years back.
  • Yieya
    Yieya Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Move to Quebec, Canada! School and health are paid by the government. Of course, it's not perfect; we had huge protests last year about the scholar fees going up (from a few hundreds to a thousand a year, yes you can laugh)

I work for a university. If I'm sick, I'm fully paid. On the third day of absence, I have to see a doctor and then according to his diagnostic, I can have up to 6 months with my full salary. And that is even if I'm a temporary employee. After giving birth, women are paid for a year between 50 to 75% of their salary to stay home by the government. My employer pays the rest to make it 92%.

Private High schools are funded. So it costs an average of 2 to 3,000$ a year to send your kid to a private school. Technical schools (called cegeps) cost an average of 500$ per session.

If you go to the doctor, you don't pay if you have your health card (which is given to every citizen staying more than 6 monts a year in Quebec soil). Same for hospitals. You might have to wait 12 hours before you see a doctor though...

The downside: you give almost 50% of your salary in taxes. There are huge taxes on gas, car license and stuff like that. But hey, nothing's perfect...

it's not free if the Gov't is taking half your paycheck.... I rather keep more of my paycheck and shop around for my own schooling and healthcare.
  • Litlbeast
    Litlbeast Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Yup, I'm there too. Mainly because a portion of my income gets funneled into funding my potential music career, and that gets expensive even when you're extremely choosy about where you aim your precious dollars. No insurance, and TN's a tough state for low-income folks because their qualifiers for EBT and state insurance (for kids) are more strict.

But...

Most people should take advantage of food pantries, sliding-scale health clinics, thrift clothing and grocery stores, Freecycle, craigslist free. I use all of these things. I'd rather use them than get $$ for the gov't, and I'd also rather work a second or third part-time job.

School can be tough, getting medical care can be tough, but you have to think outside the box for everything nowadays. There are also websites where you can apply for small private loans to get you through tough times. Google the heck out of whatever you need - help is out there.

And hang in there. :)
  • Serenstar75
    Serenstar75 Posts: 258 Member
    Options

This is a genuine comment. How do people not afford school nowadays? I went to school on loans, pell grants (only AFTER I turned 23) and working. I definitely don't have a pretty loan history (only 40k in debt from loans at the end of a 4yr degree that took me 6.5 years :drinker: ) but I'm so confused how people can't afford school with the pell grants, loans, scholarships, working opportunities available.

It depends on if you want debt up to your eyeballs and a chance that you still might NOT find a job afterward that will allow you to pay back your loans. I have loans, pell grants, all of that. I'm going to school right now, but it's slow. I'm now working on scholarships as well. I'm already well over 20k in debt, possibly more and not even close to finished because I work full time and take care of home as well. When I wasn't getting benefits or making enough to at least get by, I found a new job. If you have a job, it's a lot easier to get hired at a better one.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Disagree. The companies that RUN and loan student loans and manage your loans should be disassembled and the people managing those companies should be put in jail. But the loans themselves are not bad. I have a fixed loan at 4.8% and learned my lesson on private loans. Definitely NEVER get a private loan for school. 12$% on that bad boy. It's on the fast track to repayment, that's for sure.

My main student loan was through the Department of Education. Then it got bought out by Mohela. I was not notified via mail, email, phone call, carrier pigeon that this was done. I didn't catch it until two months later when I realized my loans weren't being taken out of my bank account. Had to buy arrears and everything. What a f'n fiasco that was.

College is available to those that want to go. And no, a degree doesn't guarantee you a job, but it helps a great deal. And opens up your employment opportunities beyond those that just require a diploma. Even an AA or AS is better than nothing.

The Dept of Education screwed me over. I was too young and naive to be allowed to sign for a loan. It was definitely the worst mistake I ever made and will regret it my whole life. I should have gotten a job instead of going to college. Of course, if they had let me finish college, I might feel differently. But I still want to dismantle the DoE piece by piece and fire every employee they have. No, I'm not bitter. :tongue:
This discussion has been closed.