10 pieces of advice you would have told the old you ?

Options
8)

What are 10 pieces of advice too tell the old fat unhealthy you ?

Replies

• ShrinkingLauren88
    ShrinkingLauren88 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    -Never give up!! (it's tattooed on my foot)
    -you can do it
    -if it's easy, you're not trying hard enough
    -there will be ups and downs
    -small changes every day
    - lots and lots of water
    -establish a support system
    -don't get discouraged
    -dont put it off any longer, start today
    -YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL
  • hope76579
    hope76579 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I am not finished with my weight loss yet, but I've learned:

- Moving feels GREAT!
    - Water isn't as bad as you think. Plus drinking a ton of it helps keep your skin nice and your belly feel fuller.
    - You can do this!!!
    - Log, Log, Log and be honest with yourself and your MFP friends
    - Cheer your MFP friends and they will cheer you
    - Log before you eat
    - Get rid of your clothes as soon as they are too big
    - Sweat isn't bad and washes right off
    - Lifting weights is fun and makes your feel strong and sexy.
    ...And...YOU ONLY EVER FAIL WHEN YOU STOP TRYING!!!
  • Andruzrc
    Options
    I haven´t reached my goal yet, i´m actually very far from it! But I´m definitely a new me since I started my journey.

- You have to want it for yourself, not to please others.
    - Is a healthy lifestyle not a diet.
    - Exercising puts you in a good mood.
    - Stop drinking sodas, they are awful for you.
    - Cucumbers are delicious!!
    - Drink tons of water!
    - Don´t give up, EVER!
    - If you have a bad day, the next day is a new day to do it better.
    - You can do it, believe in yourself.
    - YOU ARE AWESOME! :D
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    i only have one.

starving yourself dosnt make you beautiful, your heart soul and actions toward others do.

<3
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    1. Tomorrow, you will wish you would have started TODAY

2. Your children are not an EXCUSE to not spend time on yourself. They are the REASON to spend time on yourself.--I wish I would have been told this 7 years ago before my first was born.

3. Learn from people who look like you want to look like in the future. Do not try to learn from people who look like you do currently. (Someone here posted it in another way-"If I wanted to look like you, I'd workout/eat like you")

4. Greek yogurt is really good with agave nectar

5. Strength train when you are training for distance running. I HEAVILY regret stopping for several months to train for a 1/2 marathon. I should have just kept doing BOTH.

6. DON'T LIVE IN PANTS WITH ELASTIC WAISTS!!!

7. Weight is a number, measurements are numbers, clothing sizes are numbers. Pick which number matters most to you and base your progress off of that.

8. Take pictures more often.

9. Repeat mantra: "I do not quit when I'm tired, I quit when I'm DONE."

10. Schedule your workouts like they are the most important appointments of the week.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    8)

1. "Old me, you are STILL the old me--and ALWAYS will be, the only thing different is there is a New old me Sheriff in town, that Sheriff's name is Jesus your New Boss, and we'll be following Him--I know you don't like it or want too, and ashamed to openly admit and confess this but too bad--You Will."

2.) Old me, you've been trying in vain, in your own strength, desire and power to lose this weight, live a good and decent and wise life and you can NOT do it apart from Him. Others can...but YOU can not! Others have and will continue to succeed, yes great achieve their dreams and goals apart from committing their whole lives unto Him/God, but YOU, old me can not.

3.) I'm GLAD old me, you've FINALLY got it thru your thick skull that there is One God, and you aint Him! Old me, you have GOT to humble yourself, obey God and Seek His Face daily, in all things, from the smallest to the most important things not merely in this battle of the bulge, this battle of the bulge is simply a symptom to a far bigger problem. God Himself is in you to Help you, old me, to make this change a total one--that means not just a "mere" body change, but a completely Renewed spirit, soul and body change!"

4.) Old me, stop expecting others to understand, agree and pet you. This is a WAR, this battle of the bulge is-- and old me...it's a war that you ultimately MUST face alone. Others may encourage you and/or attempt to discourage you, but old me, you are the one who is going to have to ultimately CHOOSE to daily say YES to what is Good and godly and NO to what is destructive and ungodly to and for you. Old me, everyone's battle is different, so don't compare yourself with anyone NOR expect others to follow you, nor judge others in anyway. Judge yourself old me!

5. "Old Me, I KNOW that you are really not on my side, you literally hate the things of God and God Himself--you don't want what's best for me, you influence me to do, say and eat and drink things that are not good for me--old me, you are like and undisciplined and spoiled child. You are lazy and gluttonous--I'm GLAD there's a New Sheriff in Town.--The NEW me, that's Christ that IS in me...my Hope of Glory"

6. "Old me you can't have your way anymore. Your way is the popular way, the easy way, the blaming everyone but me, me. Those days are over, I would say my friend...but old me, you're not my friend and you never were.

7.) Old me, I'm GLAD you're me...I love you, but I know I can not trust you...it's nothing personal

8.) Old me you MUST make time to sleep. Sleeping is extremely important in this battle.

9.) Old me, you MUST do this...not just for you--but for God, The Kingdom of God and ALL of His Righteousness (not your own nor your Glory, Honor and Praise--but His Alone and to be a Witness of His and a godly and encouraging influences upon people that ask--how the hades did you do this...you'll be able to share a GREAT testimony, and look as good outside as you do inside while you're sharing!

10.) Old me, I'd like to say it's been fun carrying all this access baggage in weight and mess around with the "new me" all these years, but I'd be lying to you. You're days are numbered old me...get used to it!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    1. Lift heavy, all of the time.
    2. Mark Rippetoe and Stuart McRobert assume you suck at life. Avoid their training plans like the plague.
    3. Liquid Coffee creamer is the ****ing devil.
    4. Smoking will make you a wheezing wuss when deadlifting.
    5. Pure hatred will get the plates off of the ground.
    6. Stop eating your family's food.
    7. Sriracha is the nectar of the gods.
    8. Push harder, you're not dead yet.
    9. "If you think partial reps will give you partial results, you're partially retarded."
    10. Your shrugs should be even heavier than your deadlift.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    1. Lift heavy, all of the time.
    2. Mark Rippetoe and Stuart McRobert assume you suck at life. Avoid their training plans like the plague.

3. Liquid Coffee creamer is the ****ing devil.

4. Smoking will make you a wheezing wuss when deadlifting.
    5. Pure hatred will get the plates off of the ground.
    6. Stop eating your family's food.
    7. Sriracha is the nectar of the gods.
    8. Push harder, you're not dead yet.
    9. "If you think partial reps will give you partial results, you're partially retarded."
    10. Your shrugs should be even heavier than your deadlift.

LOVE LOVE LOVE your post...especially number 3:heart: ...you have NO idea how very much your number 3 is going to help me. Man! I've got an "issue" with that blasted coffee creamer and your post just made a light-bulb go off in me. Thanks SO MUCH for posting:flowerforyou:
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    10 things I would have told the old me:
    1. Get your vitamin D checked, it is causing your depression
    2. Never get on a horse that you just broke and ride on cement it will end your career as on Olympian and you were so close. Also, it will make it very difficult to walk and be active later in life.
    3. Don't have milk products, meat, and bread products because you know they make you ill.
    4. Don't be afraid of being a vegetarian just because your family and husband don't understand
    5. Drink more water, lots more
    6. When you get pregnant be very careful about the calories in and the exercise out and nutrient dense foods so you don't gain 100 pounds every pregnancy, 5 times over.
    7. Don't weigh yourself everyday, it will drive you nuts.
    8. Remember Pilates is our friend so do it everyday.
    9. Don't be afraid to eat less than 1600 calories as long as it is healthy and you are meeting your micros
    10. FIND OUT ABOUT MFP AND make a bunch of new and supportive friends.
  • lexusgirl1
    Options
    Stop putting off healthy living, start now silly!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    Bump
  • maro_p
    maro_p Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Do not go from self loathing to self adoring so quickly. Identifying things that you do not like in yourself and then finding ways to justify them it is not going to make them go away - it is just going to make you not see them.

Just learn to love and nurture yourself.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    Do not go from self loathing to self adoring so quickly. Identifying things that you do not like in yourself and then finding ways to justify them it is not going to make them go away - it is just going to make you not see them.

Just learn to love and nurture yourself.

Beautiful and wise advice...:heart: I love it!
  • justmetookie
    justmetookie Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    8)

1. "Old me, you are STILL the old me--and ALWAYS will be, the only thing different is there is a New old me Sheriff in town, that Sheriff's name is Jesus your New Boss, and we'll be following Him--I know you don't like it or want too, and ashamed to openly admit and confess this but too bad--You Will."

2.) Old me, you've been trying in vain, in your own strength, desire and power to lose this weight, live a good and decent and wise life and you can NOT do it apart from Him. Others can...but YOU can not! Others have and will continue to succeed, yes great achieve their dreams and goals apart from committing their whole lives unto Him/God, but YOU, old me can not.

3.) I'm GLAD old me, you've FINALLY got it thru your thick skull that there is One God, and you aint Him! Old me, you have GOT to humble yourself, obey God and Seek His Face daily, in all things, from the smallest to the most important things not merely in this battle of the bulge, this battle of the bulge is simply a symptom to a far bigger problem. God Himself is in you to Help you, old me, to make this change a total one--that means not just a "mere" body change, but a completely Renewed spirit, soul and body change!"

4.) Old me, stop expecting others to understand, agree and pet you. This is a WAR, this battle of the bulge is-- and old me...it's a war that you ultimately MUST face alone. Others may encourage you and/or attempt to discourage you, but old me, you are the one who is going to have to ultimately CHOOSE to daily say YES to what is Good and godly and NO to what is destructive and ungodly to and for you. Old me, everyone's battle is different, so don't compare yourself with anyone NOR expect others to follow you, nor judge others in anyway. Judge yourself old me!

5. "Old Me, I KNOW that you are really not on my side, you literally hate the things of God and God Himself--you don't want what's best for me, you influence me to do, say and eat and drink things that are not good for me--old me, you are like and undisciplined and spoiled child. You are lazy and gluttonous--I'm GLAD there's a New Sheriff in Town.--The NEW me, that's Christ that IS in me...my Hope of Glory"

6. "Old me you can't have your way anymore. Your way is the popular way, the easy way, the blaming everyone but me, me. Those days are over, I would say my friend...but old me, you're not my friend and you never were.

7.) Old me, I'm GLAD you're me...I love you, but I know I can not trust you...it's nothing personal

8.) Old me you MUST make time to sleep. Sleeping is extremely important in this battle.

9.) Old me, you MUST do this...not just for you--but for God, The Kingdom of God and ALL of His Righteousness (not your own nor your Glory, Honor and Praise--but His Alone and to be a Witness of His and a godly and encouraging influences upon people that ask--how the hades did you do this...you'll be able to share a GREAT testimony, and look as good outside as you do inside while you're sharing!

10.) Old me, I'd like to say it's been fun carrying all this access baggage in weight and mess around with the "new me" all these years, but I'd be lying to you. You're days are numbered old me...get used to it!

^^This^^
  • survivor1952
    survivor1952 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I am not finished with my weight loss yet, but I've learned:

- Moving feels GREAT!
    - Water isn't as bad as you think. Plus drinking a ton of it helps keep your skin nice and your belly feel fuller.
    - You can do this!!!
    - Log, Log, Log and be honest with yourself and your MFP friends
    - Cheer your MFP friends and they will cheer you
    - Log before you eat
    - Get rid of your clothes as soon as they are too big
    - Sweat isn't bad and washes right off
    - Lifting weights is fun and makes your feel strong and sexy.
    ...And...YOU ONLY EVER FAIL WHEN YOU STOP TRYING!!!

Oh, the getting rid of your fat clothes is a MUST
    Great advice you've offered :drinker:
  • aStrongerSteph
    aStrongerSteph Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    First, last and most important thing...STOP DOUBTING YOURSELF. I was the queen of I can't do it and I "wish". Now I realize, I stopped myself before I could even start.
  • starcurl
    Options
    Here goes:

1) Take responsibility for being fat and stop making excuses. Life is not perfect and neither are you. You just have to suck it up and do it. No one else can do it for you.

2) Get your vitamin D levels checked. Most likely you are deficient and this can contribute greatly to depression, fatigue, and aches.

3) Dieting is hard. Exercising is hard. Being overweight is hard. Choose your hard.

4) Join a gym and take classes where you will be surrounded by people who are supportive and motivating. It's important to be a part of a community that prioritizes health and fitness. Join MFP. You will make new friends and find out that you are not alone. People will understand and emphasize with your struggles.

5) While exercise is really important, place an even greater focus on eating healthy and sticking within calorie limits. Cut out the junk. You will actually feel less hungry throughout the day and will not have the cravings for sugar and salt.

6) Try non-fat greek yogurt! Mix it up with some fresh or frozen fruit.

7) Be patient. It took a while to gain the weight. It's going to take a while to lose it. It's going to take a lifetime to maintain it. Make a commitment to a new way of life.

8) Forgive yourself. Everyone has their struggles. Just because your struggle is weight doesn't make you any less of a person or weaker than anyone else.

9) Don't give up. It's not too late. You can do it. Even if you are not convinced that you can...start telling yourself everyday that you can do it and you are worth the effort. Eventually, you will begin to believe it.

10) Baby steps are okay. When you are overweight, exercise is more difficult than when you are lighter in weight. You don't have to run. It's okay to just walk, because that is the same energy output that running is for a thinner person. Purchase a heart rate monitor so that you can see how hard you are working. You don't have to hold extra weights when you are doing squats. You are already carrying more weight on your body.
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    1. Start TODAY. Stop putting it off. Stop being depressed at night about it and DO SOMETHING to change it.

2. Water is good!

3. PUT THE 5 CUPS OF PEPSI DOWN

4. Learn moderation

5. Theres a reason you're only buying yoga pants

6. Theres nothing wrong with your metabolism

7. Yes people have noticed the 50 lbs weight gain since college.

8. Do it for your kids

9. Move more. You dont have to go to the gym, just move more!

10. IT CAN ABSOLUTELY BE DONE.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    1) Stop putting other people's needs first. Just because someone in your life is upset and you want to comfort them with food doesn't mean you have to join them.
    1a) Stop comforting people with food - seriously. Just sit and have a nice talk with them and/or go for a walk with them.

2) You don't need to do any extreme diets or take pills or kill yourself in the gym or even give up pizza and chocolate! Just learn to live with less and make some better choices and you'll succeed.

3) Stop sitting on the couch and move!

4) Yes, you can run!

5) Sweat is gross and you get overheated easier than others seem to and it's really uncomfortable sometimes but that doesn't mean you shouldn't exercise.

6) The right kind of sneakers do make a difference

7) Who CARES what other people think?!

8) You will regret not starting sooner x # of years down the road. Trust me on this. (I'd look so much better naked now if I hadn't waited so long! LOL!)

9) Put as much effort/energy into loving and caring for yourself as you love and care for others

10) Go ahead and say yes the first time he asks you to marry him - you'll still be crazy about him years later. :love:
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    1. Start TODAY. Stop putting it off. Stop being depressed at night about it and DO SOMETHING to change it.

2. Water is good!

3. PUT THE 5 CUPS OF PEPSI DOWN

4. Learn moderation

5. Theres a reason you're only buying yoga pants

6. Theres nothing wrong with your metabolism

7. Yes people have noticed the 50 lbs weight gain since college.

8. Do it for your kids

9. Move more. You dont have to go to the gym, just move more!

10. IT CAN ABSOLUTELY BE DONE.

Honey....your number 6 is tooooo deep and TRUE (at least for me, I'm taking it as MINE--) Thanks so much for posting this...means more to me than you will EVER know!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!