Nurse Asked to Buy My Vicodin

Options

Replies

• nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    If you really like her, tell her that you are going to report her in x amount of time. It won't be easy to do, but it would be the kindest thing in the long run.

She can seek help without losing her license this way. Assuming nursing works the same way as my profession (pharmacy), the rules are if you turn yourself in and seek treatment for a substance abuse problem, they will temporarily suspend your license, provide you with treatment, and then reinstate your license when you have completed a program. If you get caught/reported/arrested, that's it, you lose your license and do not get a second chance. That's it, career over.

Follow through though. If you say you'll report her in two weeks, do so. Because if she's already to the point where she's offering to buy controlled substances from patients, it's not too much to think that at some point soon she may be doing something worse. She could be putting patients' lives at risk in the future, if she isn't already. There's a reason people lose medical licenses over substance abuse.

we have a winner. firm but fair. look at that!
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    If my nana had a sore back I would buy painkillers off of one of my patients for her
    AND you could be arrested for that if someone were to find out and report you not to mention lose your license and your job.
    Its illegal and unethical and all nurses as well as EVERYONE in the medical field know this. I handle insurances and know this. Its drilled into us in most of our classes. We all have to take medical law and ethics classes. NO excuses for doing this. NONE! Your nana can go to her own dr. like everyone else or get something OTC.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    It's a bigger issue for me that she is going to her patients to support any addiction or need that she has for them. That right there is why I would report her. Patients should not have to be in that position, and people who are not as strong as OP may be really affected by something like that.
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    personally before you report her, it might be nice to confront her about the problem. maybe she has an addiction, or maybe there is some other reason.

would be pretty crap to possibly ruin someones life over an assumption.

It's not an assumption on my part. She did something unethical, and needs to face the consequences. If she has an addiction, that's an even better reason for her to get canned, given what her job responsibilities are.

Perhaps she should have thought about the fact that becoming a pillhead could ruin her life before she did it. Oops...sorry...there I go with that 'taking responsibility' thing again. I keep forgetting that no one likes to do that anymore.

yah.... still assuming.

It was not an assumption, it was a retort to your excuse for her. My reason is that she did it, period, no matter what the reason.

your seeing only black and white, but black and white makes grey :indifferent:

Weather she is taking them herself, or selling them, both are illegal. If she has a tooth ache as you so say, then she needs to call her dentist. She works for a doctor, she could also easily ask him for something. The legal way! It's not against the law for a doctor to treat his employees. She is a nurse. Ethics is huge in nursing. She knows better. I would report it too.

I worked on a med/surg floor for 6 years. During that time one of the surgical residents was fired because he was stealing morphine from the pharmacy. He wasn't selling it, he was taking it. Morphine is strong, even in pill form. Would you really want to take a change at a doctor or nurse taking care of you while they were high, just because you didn't want to make an assumption about their life?
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    can't think why she'd offer to pay for them. She's a nurse, for goodness sake - why would she need to buy pills from a patient?

Hmmm? Is it April already?
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I would report her I don't care about destroying her career, she should change careers.
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    As a retired nurse, I have seen so many nurses get hooked on drug's-especially the painkillers. Our job's a very intense physically-especially if we work in a hospital setting. But, it sounds like you say her in a clinic, or at an office.

Believe me when I say, you do not want a nurse giving you/your family/your CHILDREN/ or anyone else, when she is impaired on drugs.
    Nursing is a very detail oriented job. If she under the influence at work, and she makes a medication error-that could cost someone their life.
    We have to preform very intricate mathematical conversions at times, and those are easy to error with, even when you are just tired, much less impaired on drugs.
    Find your states BOARD of NURSING office, and REPORT HER. You have no idea of how many accident's you would prevent if you take this simple step.

She most likely will not be fired. They (The Board of Nursing) have program's for nurses who have substance abuse problems. GIVE HER A CHANCE.
    I LITERALLY BEG YOU..
    TURN HER IN, if not to the BOARD, to the Physician she is working under.
    Sincerely,
    Sister Nicolette Eberle, R.N. (retired)

This. I'm an RN too.
  • SeaRunner26
    SeaRunner26 Posts: 5,143 Member
    Options
    personally before you report her, it might be nice to confront her about the problem. maybe she has an addiction, or maybe there is some other reason.

would be pretty crap to possibly ruin someones life over an assumption.

I don't understand why there would be any reason to hesitate reporting her. What she's asking is certainly unproffesional, definitely unethical, and I believe illegal. Prescription drugs are not to be given to someone other than the person they're prescribed to.
  • ladypenel
    ladypenel Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Was her name Jackie?!
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    You'd be surprised by the multitude of people affected by addictions. NA is full of people from all walks of life. Addiction knows no limits.

I would say something especially because she works with patients.

Pain killer addiction is no joke. I've seen a lot of addicts and am one myself (but I'm clean), if for nothing else reporting her would actually HELP her

Sadly most addicts have to fall flat on their face to come out of denial.

great advice
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    As a retired nurse, I have seen so many nurses get hooked on drug's-especially the painkillers. Our job's a very intense physically-especially if we work in a hospital setting. But, it sounds like you say her in a clinic, or at an office.

Believe me when I say, you do not want a nurse giving you/your family/your CHILDREN/ or anyone else, when she is impaired on drugs.
    Nursing is a very detail oriented job. If she under the influence at work, and she makes a medication error-that could cost someone their life.
    We have to preform very intricate mathematical conversions at times, and those are easy to error with, even when you are just tired, much less impaired on drugs.
    Find your states BOARD of NURSING office, and REPORT HER. You have no idea of how many accident's you would prevent if you take this simple step.

She most likely will not be fired. They (The Board of Nursing) have program's for nurses who have substance abuse problems. GIVE HER A CHANCE.
    I LITERALLY BEG YOU..
    Sincerely,

I am a nurse too and know I could not do my job without running on 100%. Worst case scenario she kills someone by neglecting care. It is better for her to deal with the board now than after she kills someone.
    If she is in legit' pain, as a nurse, she should know how to get them from pain clinics with a prescription.
  • ksimmn
    ksimmn Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    i am a nurse and i think you should report her she obviously has a serious drug problem
  • Txnurse97
    Txnurse97 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I also don't understand why this is a question. You have to report her.
  • TheFinalThird
    TheFinalThird Posts: 315 Member
    Options

I LITERALLY BEG YOU..
    Sincerely,

I agree wholeheartedly with this post. And I totally agree this is a serious matter. However, I do find a small bit of irony in the advice to "turn her in" coming from someone whose MFP name is Snitch1.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    your seeing only black and white, but black and white makes grey :indifferent:

There is no grey area when it comes to a medical professional breaking ethical codes and laws. Yeah, I'm a bit biased, as I loathe pharmaceuticals anyway, but that doesn't change the fact that when she is doing is a problem. If she is buying it for herself, she is feeding an addiction that can put those under her care in danger. If she is buying it to sell, she is feeding someone else's addiction.

About the only way this would be remotely acceptable is if she were buying it to flush it down the damned toilet, which I highly ****ing doubt, otherwise she would have just advised the patient to do so right then.

I agree. There is no grey area here. There is no legitimate reason for a nurse to offer to buy pain killers from a patient. At the very least, tell her boss. He needs to know.
  • m2nc
    m2nc Posts: 51 Member
    Options

I LITERALLY BEG YOU..
    Sincerely,

as a nurse myself I am asking you to do as above. This person needs help and what if she was high looking after a family member of yours and made a mistake. I had to report a fellow coworker who was using... not fun but after picking up the patients she had been looking after for 12 hours and the numerous near misses that day made me sick to my stomach. I had to do someting legally and morally. Stop others from getting hurt. Report her. Most colleges and boards do have rehab and support.
  • katie070563
    Options
    Definitely report her! This is serious professional misconduct, which completely goes against the ethical and legal values of the Code of Conduct for a Registered Nurse. As RNs we have a duty to report such concerns and events as a matter of protecting Fitness to Practice. As a RN not reporting such a serious Fitness to Practice issue...then you are condoning it, which puts you into a bad position with the Nursing Professional Body.
  • knwitall
    knwitall Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Report her.

This ^^
  • mylove0mylife
    Options
    I just read through this thread and I'm a little concerned about all the people who say they would be okay with it and sell it to her. I work in healthcare and we go through ethics training on a yearly basis, and it's always enforced just how much some "little" thing can escalate quickly.
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    If my nana had a sore back I would buy painkillers off of one of my patients for her

Some pain medications are bad for the liver and/or kidneys. People dont tell me they have liver problems (some dont know they have liver problems because they never go to the doctor) or that they are taking painkillers off the street because they dont want to get in trouble. I see them and they are absolutely jaundiced/yellow from liver failure.
    Another common situation is some prescription medications (that are off the street) can cause seizures-vomitting-aspiration-death when stopped suddenly.
    A nurse could lose her/his license and face jail/prison time. If I could afford to buy the pills off a patient, I would pay for my nana to take a trip to the doctor and pay for the pills instead. It is way cheaper in the long run.
    Even with the best of intentions it is not a good idea.
    -A nurse