No spotter?

Options
124»

Replies

• JasonDetwiler
    JasonDetwiler Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Probably saying what others are saying...

The only time I would use a spotter is if you're going for a true 1RM test or even a 2RM, then most definitely find somebody in the gym for a quick spot. But if you're working up to a set of 3, 4, or 5 reps then you should know where you stand after your first rep but most definitely your second rep. If you're working towards a 5RM and the 1st rep was okay, 2nd rep was tough, and if you barely get 3rd then don't try for a 4th. Deadlifting and Standing OHP you don't need a spotter for at all.

This is completely specific to the lifter, the set, the goal, etc. OP, Get a spot when you need a spot. Do not create predetermined rules for when to get a spot or not. Err on the side of caution.

Kinda like ilovedeadlift says, except for the 'agreed' part.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    I've only ever needed a spotter for bench press. How do you even spot someone on squats??

two ways.

safe: One person on each side, ready to catch the barbell in the crook of their elbow AT THE SAME TIME.

Solo: Other person basically spooning you, ready to do a zirchir squat.

Yeah...
    Huh. TIL. Though I'm pretty sure I'd rather use a rack for squats than ask some random guy in the weight room to spoon me...
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    What do folks do when they don't have a spotter? I want to go up in weight in alot of excercises but am afraid I will hurt myself or just look like a fool without a spotter. Thoughts?

- JoAnna

If you don't have a spotter, you need to be in a cage with safety bars so you can safely get out from under the weight.

What does this look like?

It looks like a cage. With safety bars. That you can set so you can safely get out from under the weight.

http://youtu.be/VOmD-xqK2Es
  • DavPul
    Options

Ive been doing the step ups with a bar, I can't hang onto the dumbbells at the weight I am capable of stepping up with. Still the same advice?

Try overhead walking lunges while holding a 25 or 45 lb plate. Holding the weight overhead will engage your core more and reduce the need for grip strength.

overheadlunge_zpsa6dcede1.jpg
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    My question is about spotter etiquette. I just added the bench press and knew I had to suck it up and ask someone so I did. No problem. The question is the person stood with me through all three sets including rest periods so I felt I needed to rush the rest period because I was holding the person back from their workout. I did mention it was my first time doing it but I'm not going to feel comfortable with asking if it takes someone away from their workout so how do you usually do it?
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    My question is about spotter etiquette. I just added the bench press and knew I had to suck it up and ask someone so I did. No problem. The question is the person stood with me through all three sets including rest periods so I felt I needed to rush the rest period because I was holding the person back from their workout. I did mention it was my first time doing it but I'm not going to feel comfortable with asking if it takes someone away from their workout so how do you usually do it?

I'd just let them know "im done with my set" or something.
    You need to take your time between sets, so id hope they understand that.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options

I get this when 'working in'.
    It's understandable that they don't know the etiquette, but they could try some common sense? You can try saying at the start, words such as 'quick' 'just for a second' 'while you're resting', but they don't always work. Just remember you're not responsible for them, and maybe they'll work it out, or you could just send them away and call them back like obedient puppies.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    I typically only ask for a bench spotter on my last set. The first two I've always managed just fine solo (and yeah, I could do the roll-of-shame if I had an unexpected failure).
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options

I get this when 'working in'.
    It's understandable that they don't know the etiquette, but they could try some common sense? You can try saying at the start, words such as 'quick' 'just for a second' 'while you're resting', but they don't always work. Just remember you're not responsible for them, and maybe they'll work it out, or you could just send them away and call them back like obedient puppies.

Obedient little puppies...made me laugh.
  • DavPul
    Options

I wouldn't worry about it. If they have no concern for their own time, why should it bother you. Work at your own pace. Plus it takes, what, 12-14 mins to do three sets of benches, including rest? No harm, no foul.

When I spot a stranger, I help them on their set and then go back and do a set of whatever I was doing before. Then I drift back over for their next set. I'm not sociable and don't wanna hang out for 3 mins.

I've also asked people if they needed a spot. People that really wish they had a spotter have this look. They load up the bar and then just sit on the bench for several mins staring out into space with this look on their faces. Chances are you've seen it. Hell, chances are you've had that look yourself.
  • 305muscle
    305muscle Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    do a lighter weight but decrease rest time to a few seconds in other words a weight you can do for at least 8 reps and rest very briefly then go again. intensity is key