Do you drink any diet soda?

Options

Replies

• MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I drink diet pepsi, every single day. I only have about 30lbs to lose (will put me at the low end of my BMI so i really don't even have that much to lose) and I just lost 8lbs this month......
  • cad39too
    cad39too Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I love, love, love Pepsi Max - I have been weaning myself off of it the last few days. I know it won't last cause I neeed it but I'm trying.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Nope. Don't like the taste of diet sodas or artificial sweeteners of any kind. Plus, they don't do a body good IMO. Don't drink regular soda either.
  • kellieprindle
    kellieprindle Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    It can sometimes make people retain more water if you drink alot of it, but if it is calorie free, you won't gain fat. I drink 1 or 2 Dt. Mountain Dew's a week, it is one of my vices left from college I haven't gotten rid of, and I'm down 2 pants sizes.

I LOVE Diet Dew!!! I have 2 a day, because I am not a fan of coffee. I don't seem to have a problem with it.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

I'm sure you can substantiate that, right? BTW water is chock full of chemicals

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/11/06/aspartame-most-dangerous-substance-added-to-food.aspx

just do the research
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

I'm sure you can substantiate that, right? BTW water is chock full of chemicals

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/11/06/aspartame-most-dangerous-substance-added-to-food.aspx

just do the research

Lol Mercola, notice how there are zero references

Try to eliminate confirmation bias first
  • tammy303
    Options
    i just started this fitness pal, i only have 2 or 3 cans a day of sprite zero, and 6 bottles of water, that is way good for me i use to drink coke and mountain dew like it was going out of style,
  • CymruBiology
    Options
    Oh god yes. I love my aspartame.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

we can all find articles to confirm what we believe, or deny what someone else belives.

but here's the point i'm trying to make. since the advent of sodas and processed foods, the prevalence of major diseases has skyrocketed something like 300%. Celiac disease has gone up by over 400%. Why? Because of the additives we put in our foods. Preservatives, "dough conditioners", artificial sweeteners. And the reality is there just isn't any testing being done on most of these products, because the giant corporations that put out these foods dont WANT there to be any testing. The FDA refuses to test the effect of antibiotics and hormones in meat on people. They refuse to do studies of GMOs. If there was nothing to hide, then why wouldn't they just DO the studies!?

At the end of the day, there is a RISK associated with any artificial ingredient you put in your body, so why do it? We're all here to get healthy, but by drinking diet sodas, etc, you're potentially sabotaging yourself.

I'm not a food nazi, and I'm all for taking cheat days, and cheat meals every once and a while. It's stupid to completely deprive yourself of things you enjoy. But 3-4 diet sodas a day? You really think there's no damage being done there? Nothing comes free. If it's got zero calories and isn't effecting your weight, it's effecting you in some other way. You just don't know it yet.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Rarely. Every once in awhile, I just gotta have a diet coke. After the first few wonderful, ice cold swallows, I realize it really tastes pretty bad and can't finish it, unless I add rum to it.
  • Goal_Driven
    Goal_Driven Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I drink diet coke occasionally but not all the time. It does have sodium in it so you'll probably retain some water from it.. but that's about it. So I don't see why you wouldn't still lose. But most likely better and easier to drop the pounds without it. Use it on occasions :)
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I lost 40lbs while drinking 1-2 per day. Now it tends to bother my stomach so I drink maybe 1-2 per week. Otherwise I drink diet, generic koolaid from Walmart,,, about half a gallon most days. Neither of them have calories so I wouldn't worry about it. If you want to eat healthier, you can gradually weed out the stuff as you meet goals. I don't fear it, nor do I fear sweeteners of ANY kind. :)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

we can all find articles to confirm what we believe, or deny what someone else belives.

but here's the point i'm trying to make. since the advent of sodas and processed foods, the prevalence of major diseases has skyrocketed something like 300%. Celiac disease has gone up by over 400%. Why? Because of the additives we put in our foods. Preservatives, "dough conditioners", artificial sweeteners. And the reality is there just isn't any testing being done on most of these products, because the giant corporations that put out these foods dont WANT there to be any testing. The FDA refuses to test the effect of antibiotics and hormones in meat on people. They refuse to do studies of GMOs. If there was nothing to hide, then why wouldn't they just DO the studies!?

At the end of the day, there is a RISK associated with any artificial ingredient you put in your body, so why do it? We're all here to get healthy, but by drinking diet sodas, etc, you're potentially sabotaging yourself.

I'm not a food nazi, and I'm all for taking cheat days, and cheat meals every once and a while. It's stupid to completely deprive yourself of things you enjoy. But 3-4 diet sodas a day? You really think there's no damage being done there? Nothing comes free. If it's got zero calories and isn't effecting your weight, it's effecting you in some other way. You just don't know it yet.

Tinfoil hat much?

piratesarecool.jpg
  • xiofett
    xiofett Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Personally I've never been able to stand the artificial sweetener in diet sodas. Every single one has a horrible aftertaste to me.

In the past few months I've cut out soda almost entirely. I do, however, drink sweet tea when I go out to eat. (Dear lord, I've missed living in the South. ;) ) I will also occasionally get a Mt Dew Throwback, since it's sweetened with real sugar instead of HFCS.

There are some really good sodas sweetened with agave nectar out there. They still run about 100 cal per 12 oz serving, but most of them seem to try not to use artificial preservatives and all that.
  • jedrai
    jedrai Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, but only with some rum in it. That is a lo-cal mixed drink.
  • fleur_de_lis19
    fleur_de_lis19 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I rarely drink soda, but when i do, i drink full calorie and sugar. Studies have shown that the artificial sweeteners that they use in diet sodas, actually work against your body and are harder to digest and process than the regular ones.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    It's not ok for me. So no, I stopped drinking soda several years ago. Each person's preferences are different.
  • Skyfire23
    Options
    I don't think artificial sweeteners are good for me. So no, I never drink diet soda. I drink water, and very occasionally I'll have a sugar-sweetened soda, like a Pepsi Throwback or an Americana.
  • Inebriated
    Options
    Hey, I was wondering if its Okay to drink diet Pepsi, diet soda while trying to lose weight..
    I read some people say it's still will make you fat and some says its Okay.
    So i decided to ask you guys!
    :D

I drink coke zero. there are lots of people who will tell you diet soda will kill you but they casually forget to mention that crossing the road might kill you, too.
    :laugh:
  • Chigger56
    Chigger56 Posts: 105
    Options
    Yes. I do. I dont drink. I dont smoke. But I LOVE my diet coke!!