Nurse Asked to Buy My Vicodin

Options

Replies

• delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Report her. Of course she would probably say she was trying to bust you for selling prescription drugs.
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    She needs to lose her job. Unused pills are usually taken to the pharmacists to be destroyed. Do you want a nurse high on pills taking care of you or your children? NO!!! It is not too late to report her.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I think I would have assumed she was joking with me and laughed it off.
    Then watched her for signs of impairment.

I've had more than one non-addict joke with me about buying my leftover pain killers (like when I had broken ribs and didn't like the Percocet)
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Report her.

How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? Mt. 7:4

Let him who is without sin among you be the first to throw a stone at her. Jn. 8:7
  • TXtstorm
    TXtstorm Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    hold on.... wait a minute yall... maybe she just had a really bad toothache or something and was in a hurry?

This is a crap excuse. If she had an acute, temporary, personal pain issue, she could have asked the doctor she works with for assistance and if her need was valid he would likely have called her in a couple of doses to hold her until she could see her own provider. She wasn't going to get the pills on the spot anyway as OP didn't have them with.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

Health care professionals are not the only ones keeping track of those drug prescriptions...Narcotics agents also keep track of them too. Some of those clinics are little more than legal drug houses being run by "respectable" medical personnel. Some of those "professional" make more money selling legal drugs then they make from their regular paychecks. In some inner city health facilities, it is not at all unusual to have an in house agent monitoring what they believe to be suspicious patients. (Because medical professionals also know how to cover their own behinds).

If the "nurse" felt free to ask OP about buying her "extra pills" (that the clinic dispensed knowing that OP did not need them)...then OP had every right to to tell the nurse that she had NO EXTRA PILLS ...When the crap hits the fan...It is always better to have the authorities looking for missing drugs down at that clinic then to have them looking for them down at OP's or other innocent patient's houses.and yes...OP should report the incident. Nine times out of ten...The nurse is going to say what I told you...and the Doctor (when asked why he gave OP more pills) is going to say that it was a misunderstanding..ie. He thought that OP needed a higher dosage of her medicine. I repeat...REPORT THE FACILITY.!

Of course OP is free to say what she wants. I disagree with you that she should have lied. OP saying she doesn't have them because she flushed them or whatever she said is not at all probable cause for narcotic agents to search her home. If they were to do that, and I were OP, I'd happily sue for violation of my HIPAA and constitutional rights. I can see narcotic agents monitoring how many prescriptions doctors prescribe; this is different than them monitoring patients. If there are in-house agents posing as medical staff at doctor's offices, that's a huge violation of privacy rights and they'd better have a good search warrant. But that search warrant would still have to be justified. OP getting a script for a legal pain killer is not cause to violate her privacy or her home. And a nurse is not a police officer--if she offered to buy them for any reason whatsoever, she broke the law.
  • tannyasawyer
    tannyasawyer Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Wow! I can totally understand the shock part - I'm not sure how I'd deal with that if it happened to me. It really ought to be reported, though. Wondering if it's best to 'forget the conversation' and see if you can somehow record it if it comes up again - surely that should cover your word against hers.

Just another question in relation to this to anyone who knows: can the patient themselves get into trouble for doing this?
  • bchboy1206
    bchboy1206 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    That is really sad. Reporting her is not a bad thing she needs help, as a nurse she has access to many meds and one thing will lead to another. I have seen patients not get their pain medications and suffer because a nurse takes their pain meds. I have also heard of nurses found overdosed in the bathrooms at work.

Do her and her patients a favor, report it. I to am a registered nurse and we don't need impaired nurses taking care of our loved ones. She needs to find help.

Jim
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I would have sold it
  • speedracer2007
    speedracer2007 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Even if you gave them in leiu of selling them, that is a CRIME. Narcotics are serious stuff. You & her would be arrested no questions asked. You would be charged & convicted of drug disribution. I think you should contact aaw enforcement.

If she asking you, she's asking others too. She could be a dealer and not a user people like that are liars and theives. If you just told the doctor, he'd fire her and she would't get the help she needs. That person needs to be taken out of the medical field.

Even though you flushed them, you'd do her favor in the long run for to get caught so she gets her help
  • halfretird
    halfretird Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Usually if they have a toothache they find multiple dentist who write prescriptions for them everyday and continue to write for them sad but true. If she is asking you who knows how many others she has asked before you that same day or days before.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    What would you have done in this situation?

That depends.

Is she hot?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Report her.

How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? Mt. 7:4

Let him who is without sin among you be the first to throw a stone at her. Jn. 8:7

Good one!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    What would you have done in this situation?

That depends.

Is she hot?

:laugh:

All money is green and lovely.:smokin:
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Options

Health care professionals are not the only ones keeping track of those drug prescriptions...Narcotics agents also keep track of them too. Some of those clinics are little more than legal drug houses being run by "respectable" medical personnel. Some of those "professional" make more money selling legal drugs then they make from their regular paychecks. In some inner city health facilities, it is not at all unusual to have an in house agent monitoring what they believe to be suspicious patients. (Because medical professionals also know how to cover their own behinds).

If the "nurse" felt free to ask OP about buying her "extra pills" (that the clinic dispensed knowing that OP did not need them)...then OP had every right to to tell the nurse that she had NO EXTRA PILLS ...When the crap hits the fan...It is always better to have the authorities looking for missing drugs down at that clinic then to have them looking for them down at OP's or other innocent patient's houses.and yes...OP should report the incident. Nine times out of ten...The nurse is going to say what I told you...and the Doctor (when asked why he gave OP more pills) is going to say that it was a misunderstanding..ie. He thought that OP needed a higher dosage of her medicine. I repeat...REPORT THE FACILITY.!

Of course OP is free to say what she wants. I disagree with you that she should have lied. OP saying she doesn't have them because she flushed them or whatever she said is not at all probable cause for narcotic agents to search her home. If they were to do that, and I were OP, I'd happily sue for violation of my HIPAA and constitutional rights. I can see narcotic agents monitoring how many prescriptions doctors prescribe; this is different than them monitoring patients. If there are in-house agents posing as medical staff at doctor's offices, that's a huge violation of privacy rights and they'd better have a good search warrant. But that search warrant would still have to be justified. OP getting a script for a legal pain killer is not cause to violate her privacy or her home. And a nurse is not a police officer--if she offered to buy them for any reason whatsoever, she broke the law.

A violation of privacy and your constitutional rights? Well, welcome to the REAL 2012 world!!. You are ASSUMING that the clinic is honest and that the nurse is the only rat in that nest. BIRDS OF A FEATHER FLOCK TOGETHER. If the nurse is OPENLY trying to buy extra drugs off of patients.... Then what makes you think that the only drug precriptions being issued under OP's(or any clinic patient's) name are the precriptions that are actually being filled/ used by actual clinic patients....REPORT THE WHOLE CLINIC!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

A violation of privacy and your constitutional rights? Well, welcome to the REAL 2012 world!!. You are ASSUMING that the clinic is honest and that the nurse is the only rat in that nest. BIRDS OF A FEATHER FLOCK TOGETHER. If the nurse is OPENLY trying to buy extra drugs off of patients.... Then what makes you think that the only drug precriptions being issued under OP's(or any clinic patient's) name are the precriptions that are actually being filled/ used by actual clinic patients....REPORT THE WHOLE CLINIC!

Your comment makes no sense whatsoever. Keep kissing the boots of the thugs who would deny your humanity.
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Your comment makes no sense whatsoever. Keep kissing the boots of the thugs who would deny your humanity.

You are VERY naive.
  • FlaxMilk
    Options

Yes, a violation of privacy and constitutional rights. I'm very well versed in patient rights. If someone invaded my home based on me telling a nurse that I don't have the rest of one bottle of pain pills because I threw them out or flushed them, I'd take the case to the supreme court if I had to. I'd also be blaring it all over the news, creating facebook pages, whatever I had to do. Welcome to 2012 and the glory of instant media!

I don't care if she reports the whole clinic or not. I don't really see any reason to, but that's up to OP. She does have however a very concrete reason to report the nurse. When a healthcare professional is reported, the practice employing her is part of the investigative process. I also find it totally believable that the clinic doesn't know. You'd be surprised what some healthcare professionals will do at reputable agencies. We aren't bugged, no one knows until it is reported. The problem really comes in if this has been reported before and ignored by the clinic.
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    I'm also not sure why you are talking to me about the clinic. I've repeatedly told the OP to report to the state licensing board, not the clinic.
  • buzzcogs
    buzzcogs Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    As a retired nurse, I have seen so many nurses get hooked on drug's-especially the painkillers. Our job's a very intense physically-especially if we work in a hospital setting. But, it sounds like you say her in a clinic, or at an office.

Believe me when I say, you do not want a nurse giving you/your family/your CHILDREN/ or anyone else, when she is impaired on drugs.
    Nursing is a very detail oriented job. If she under the influence at work, and she makes a medication error-that could cost someone their life.
    We have to preform very intricate mathematical conversions at times, and those are easy to error with, even when you are just tired, much less impaired on drugs.
    Find your states BOARD of NURSING office, and REPORT HER. You have no idea of how many accident's you would prevent if you take this simple step.

She most likely will not be fired. They (The Board of Nursing) have program's for nurses who have substance abuse problems. GIVE HER A CHANCE.
    I LITERALLY BEG YOU..
    TURN HER IN, if not to the BOARD, to the Physician she is working under.
    Sincerely,
    Sister Nicolette Eberle, R.N. (retired)

This sounds like the best advice so far. Woah.