Do you drink any diet soda?

Options
123457»

Replies

• Rosa1213
    Rosa1213 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I'm a proponent of "Everything in Moderation". I realize there are lots of potentially unhealthy ingredients in all sodas, diet or not, but sometimes I just can't help it, and I really crave that sweet fizzyness.
    I probably haven't had any soda in a couple of weeks, but every now and then I give in to some Diet Mtn. Dew or some Pepsi Max.

The reason I decide to go for the "Diet" version is because even though I feel weak for giving in to the craving, the fact that it's zero calories helps me be more carefree about it an enjoy it fully, allowing me to not feel guilty about it later and just go back to plain water again.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Diet soda has no calories and thus will not cause a real weight gain in its own right... That being said, it does contain sodium which can affect your water retention. Also, all diet drinks have some type of artificial sweetner included in them and all of these have side effects related to them. The best route is to do without; not a path I have chosen but really it would be better to stick with all natural sources of nutrition.
  • flobeedoodle
    flobeedoodle Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of diet soda. I switched to soda stream, which sweetens with Splenda, and I drink probably about 3 litres a day. I have lost weight despite this. I might lose weight faster if I quit drinking soda, but I need caffeine. Lots of caffeine. I am allergic to coffee, and tea is a pain the *kitten*. So, soda.
  • EndlessSacrifice
    Options
    Hey, I was wondering if its Okay to drink diet Pepsi, diet soda while trying to lose weight..
    I read some people say it's still will make you fat and some says its Okay.
    So i decided to ask you guys!
    :D

I try to limit diet soda to once or twice a week, sometimes even less. Water is the most pure form of hydration and that is honestly what you should drink a majority of the time. Soda of any kind should be a treat, not an every day thing.
  • RavenHershey0107
    Options
    I drink one soda can of soda a day and it isn't diet. I don't drink coffee and I gave up energy drink so I will drink a can of soda instead. I don't know how it effects others but diet drinks give me headaches more specifically migraines. I figure it is the artificial sweetners.
  • PinkHurricane88
    PinkHurricane88 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Diet soda is worse for you than regular soda, but all soda is not great for you. Therefore, I eliminated all soda from my diet for almost 4 months. On the occasions I do have a soda, it's regular soda.
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Let's define terms, please.

Here in UK "soda" is carbonated water, either made in a soda-syphon or 'SodaStream' or bought in bottles.
    In USA (I think) 'soda' is what we call 'pop'.
    Fizzy/Sparkling water is harmless (although pedants argue that a small amount of the 'weak acid', carbonic acid, is formed by dissolving carbon dioxide in water but this has no significant effect on saliva pH, if drunk in moderation).

My own favourite tipple after choir practice is a bottle of sparkling water with a slice of lemon and ONE cube of ice. - costs a fortune in pubs (well, same price as a 2 litre bottle in Sainsbury's, anyway)

'Soda' in USAdefn. could mean coke or lemonade or Dr Pepper, Tango or whatever, either in 'Regular' (i.e. 6 teaspoons of sugar in every can) or 'Diet' - sweetened by saccharine, aspartame or sucralose - for which various 'authorities' claim varying degrees of toxicity.
    The main reiteration on MFP is that the non-sugar sweet taste will fool the endocrine system into stimulating Insulin production which will scour your circulation for sugars to remove, leaving you faint and weary and urged to consume SUGAR.
    II can't see the problem if you maintain self discipline and don't indulge.
    I can see the problem of the effect of consuming low pH drinks on teeth - and see it daily.
    It is not even good for business as it is impossible to treat conservatively.

Basically - DON'T! Not for your waistline's sake, just for your teeth (unless you already have or have an irresistible urge to have DENTURES.
  • Doctor141513
    Options
    i drink sodas all my life, first regular sodas from 1971 untill 2002, and then on that same year i was diagnosed with diabetis and i switched to sugar free diet sodas and i have been drinking it for 10 whole years and then later this year my blood sugar a1c level was up at 11.5 and the doctor says that i have to get having an insulin shot which i currenty am right now every night for 3 years and diet sodas are good and they're not all that bad but i have no plans to give up diet sodas anytime soon but i'll just limit drinking diet sodas to weekends only and same for regular sodas and just start drinking smoothies, water, and a new addition to sodas all natural sodas so that i can really exercise and lose weight and lower a1c levels too.

but can all natural sodas that have no sugar work into lowering a1c levels?
  • drakechic08
    drakechic08 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I pretty much try to only drink it outside of the house and even then not all the time. I know some people think it is bad, but then again anymore everything is "making us sick or causing cancer". I agree everything in moderation. I just know not having it at home all the time saves me money.
  • ibach08
    ibach08 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    If I need a treat, I will have no issues with drinking a can of diet soda! If you are worried about the chemicals/articficial sweeteners ect then don't. But I think it is way better to treat yourself with a can of diet soda than a cupcake if you are trying to loose weight:)
  • melliebelly77
    Options
    I stopped drinking sode about 6 weeks ago and dont miss it at all! I used to drink 1-2 every day.
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I quit drinking diet soda and soda pop because it seemed to make me hungrier. I drink water mostly, but I'll have a glass of tea about once a week.
  • tammy303
    Options
    i dont find it to be a problem drinking diet pop, yeah there is stuff in it , so they say will kill ya , did they tell you so will cigerettes, cigars and alcohol ? .... yeah get your water intake in , but if you like drinking a couple cans of diet coke, go for it, don t let another person tell you that you cant , your still going to lose the weight if you watch what you eat and stay within your calories... i drink my diet soda.. be happy we only live once :drinker: