Hate My Boss

Options
laurenz2501
laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
Everytime i interact with him he degrades me and makes me feel like *kitten*. So yes, it is personal now. I know i'm not the only one who hates their boss. I wish I could up and quit my job like so many other people do with no back-up plan lined up whatsoever. Because I definitely would have 10x over by now.:explode:

Replies

• bbriscoe13
    bbriscoe13 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    You have to stick up for yourself. Being a girl in a field with mostly men, I have dealt with that too. If someone starts talking down to me, I stop them and let them know I will not be spoken to like that and when they want to have a respectable adult conversation, they know where I sit. I don't really have that issue anymore because everyone I work with knows I'm not putting up with it. Good luck. If you don't stick up for yourself, they will keep treating you like that. :(
  • cNhobbes
    cNhobbes Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    *cue "social media firing" posts
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Give in to your primal urges and pelt him with poo like a monkey would.
  • laurenz2501
    Options
    *cue "social media firing" posts

Probably not, since a) i wasn't being specific and b) i have LOTS of bosses.
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Have you started looking for another job? It's good to have your ear out even when you like your job. When you don't it's essential.
  • laurenz2501
    Options
    You have to stick up for yourself. Being a girl in a field with mostly men, I have dealt with that too. If someone starts talking down to me, I stop them and let them know I will not be spoken to like that and when they want to have a respectable adult conversation, they know where I sit. I don't really have that issue anymore because everyone I work with knows I'm not putting up with it. Good luck. If you don't stick up for yourself, they will keep treating you like that. :(

Thank you for your advice and not being an a--hole. :D the people on these forums are unreal.
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    Options

it cost me a nervous breakdown but I did learn how to stand up for myself and how to simply say "no" (to any "little extra's" - be it staying at work over hours or bringing everyone a cup of coffee just because I'm female) In the end it wasn't my boss that made me quit, it was the work itself. I actually got along with my boss really well... um, meaning, I was the only one at whom he didn't yell on a regular basis and we could bicker quite nicely. I think the trick was that I finally got his sense of humour (about as horrible as my brother's) and in the end I wasn't afraid to hit back.

New job, and who do I not get along with? it's not the off-colour joke guy, it's not the passive-aggressive guy, it's not the bipolar guy... it's the snob girl. *sigh*
  • mandy0688
    mandy0688 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    When i came back to this small town. i got a job at a local restrant. I loved the boss that hired me. Then another manager took over and she didn't know how to talk to anyone. everyone reported her to the managers above her. She was beyond unprofessional. But what i did wht i started looking for another job. it took me about 4 months but i am here at my new job and i love my manager. So just keep lookin no matter what. You don't need to be treated like that. and yes be grateful you have a job but you can find another one. That is sometimes the best thing to do. When you leave there someone else can put up with his bull ****. Good luck girl
  • michaelmccausland
    Options
    It sounds to me like you will have to nip this in the bud asap as it will only get worse. The question I have to ask is, is your boss a bully, what sort of person is he/she, for instance, is your boss an inadequate person, have problems dealing with other people,you need to sit down and assess the situation. If you do not stand up for yourself now it will get worse and then you will begin to believe your boss, I know, I have been there. If you work for a big company with an HR dept, and if taking the action the previous commentor has suggested fails, keep a diary of all such incidents. If you work for a one man band as it were, if you do not stand up for yourself life will become a nightmare, and if you do leave and go elsewhere, there is a distinct possibility that the pattern wil repeat itself, as you could not deal with it once, you will not be in a position to deal with the situation elsewhere. You also have to ask, do I really want to work for such a person, your health is more important than his/her ego. I wish you the best on thisd, it is not easy but only you can deal with it.
  • mandy0688
    mandy0688 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    And I know others were mean about the "grateful you have a job" and i know it was in my last post but I wasn't meaning it to you in no harm. I hope everything works out
  • Mrsjenningsjr
    Mrsjenningsjr Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Something that may help you as you endure or set yourself up to transition; volunteer for something that you absolutely love to do and do that on the side or as often as you can. That may very well help to create balance. Good luck!
  • laurenz2501
    Options
    Something that may help you as you endure or set yourself up to transition; volunteer for something that you absolutely love to do and do that on the side or as often as you can. That may very well help to create balance. Good luck!

That's a great idea and something I keep meaning to do (volunteering). Thanks for the reminder!
  • laurenz2501
    Options
    Have you started looking for another job? It's good to have your ear out even when you like your job. When you don't it's essential.

Yup, always! :)
  • fcp1234
    fcp1234 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    What does he do to put you down? Is it always business related?

I don’t know what type of business you are in, but sometimes things can get very stressful. For example, my yearly performance and bonus depends on the performance of my employees. I have found out that nothing works best than positive motivation. But yea, I have to be a b*** once in a while when needed.

If your feel that you work hard and put 100% of yourself into your job, I would suggest you say something. Just tell him how you feel. Again, I don’t know what type of manager he is, but I would love my people coming to talk to me, before they decide to hate me and the job.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    Give in to your primal urges and pelt him with poo like a monkey would.

^ this. poo flinging is the way to resolve workplace issues. go to anyone's office in HR. if their walls aren't covered in poo, they are not doing their job correctly. :tongue:

all kidding aside... is the problem with your boss the sort of thing HR needs to know about? is it harassment? or something on that level?
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    My current boss has never heard of Boss's day in the 25 years he has "managed" people.
    Enough said.
  • IamBlackMamba
    Options

it cost me a nervous breakdown but I did learn how to stand up for myself and how to simply say "no" (to any "little extra's" - be it staying at work over hours or bringing everyone a cup of coffee just because I'm female) In the end it wasn't my boss that made me quit, it was the work itself. I actually got along with my boss really well... um, meaning, I was the only one at whom he didn't yell on a regular basis and we could bicker quite nicely. I think the trick was that I finally got his sense of humour (about as horrible as my brother's) and in the end I wasn't afraid to hit back.

New job, and who do I not get along with? it's not the off-colour joke guy, it's not the passive-aggressive guy, it's not the bipolar guy... it's the snob girl. *sigh*

The *snobby girl* has had it out for me since day one and has made my purposeful career change a struggle that I do not wish on anyone. My advice, always have your guard up. Have a back up plan and get to know your HR representative. Harassment in the workplace whether it be a male or female is illegal. Know your rights in your workplace.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options

Depending on the situation, I agree with the above also.

You have to stand up for yourself. Unfortunately, sexism still exists in the workforce, and a lot of women have to tolerate being treated somehow less than male counterparts in some jobs. If you feel like you're being targeted personally or if the boss is making inappropriate or unnecessarily harsh comments to you, consider talking to someone at human resources. The company you work for should have a policy or procedure in place to deal with it.
  • Ben2118
    Ben2118 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    They say it's always easier to find a job whilst already been in one! :wink:

I have a friend (on MFP funnily enough) that was in the same position, after around 3 months and a handful of interviews she is now in a better paid job, closer to where she lives and is a lot happier.

Don't settle for it, get your resume out there and find a job worthy of your talents, whatever they may be.

Ben.
  • dawson55510
    dawson55510 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    My Dad is my boss 3 days a week when we have a problem it usually ends up very physical but i wouldnt suggest you trying to choke your boss out lol

Count to 50 if that doesnt work get the fists out oj :))