Secrets of thin people...

Options

Replies

• NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I am sorry but this is a really stupid article. While some of the points make sense most are completely ludacrise. I know plenty of people here practicing IF which means skipping meals including but not limited to breakfast and that is perfectly healthy and acceptable to do. WTF to be thin, go to Colorado? That lost all my respect. I am sure there are overweight people in Colorado too and thin doesn't mean healthy. Put yourself first over a kids little league game? That is just selfish and reflects very poorly on the author. My kids come first before the gym and yes she should feel guilty about it.
  • Nerdybreisawesome
    Nerdybreisawesome Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I hate the words "thin people"..like WTF does that even mean. Thin is not always healthy. And healthy is not always thin..

My mom has always been "thin" and she eats the most unhealthiest food ever. And now she is paying for it with bad joints and high blood pressure. She is still "thin" She is 5'9 and weighs 118lbs.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Wow - this post thread has really gotten off topic with all the snarky comments!

So - subsitute the word "healthy" for 'thin" and let's go from there. Secrets of Heathy People

1- favor bulky foods - like salads that you can eat a lot of it without a lot of calories
    2- watch portion sizes
    3- take care of yourself - sometimes that will mean putting yourself first
    4- it's only 30% genetic
    5- don't skip meals
    6- limit options - the more types of food that are available (for a meal the more we'll eat - i.e. stay away from buffets!
    7- live in Colorado - they seem to prioritize health and fitness
    8- don't sit still - move more!
    9- don't skip breakfast (oh no - I can hear it coming.....)
    10- enjoy your food
    11- practice early intervention - take action when the scale starts creeping up, don't wait until tht OMG moment
    12 - do what works for you - integrate good habits into your lifestyle

It all makes sense to me. Yes, even the "don't skip breaksfast" one.

Thank you!!
    Options
    I am sorry but this is a really stupid article. While some of the points make sense most are completely ludacrise. I know plenty of people here practicing IF which means skipping meals including but not limited to breakfast and that is perfectly healthy and acceptable to do. WTF to be thin, go to Colorado? That lost all my respect. I am sure there are overweight people in Colorado too and thin doesn't mean healthy. Put yourself first over a kids little league game? That is just selfish and reflects very poorly on the author. My kids come first before the gym and yes she should feel guilty about it.

I don't think the author said "go to Colorado" but instead used Colorado as an example of a place where people are more active. In addition, IF is not a strategy that I'd recommend to MOST people. It's a bit difficult to adhere to a certain eating window for many people and can cause binging. I do know that there are individual who've had success with this approach though. I digress, I dont think ludicrous is a very good descriptor despite there being exceptions to the strategies mentioned.
  • Fat2Fit145
    Fat2Fit145 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    This is TOTALLY not true.... I have MANY thin friends and family that DONT do any of these things... and guess what they are THINNN!....I think its just genetics..... ....

Totally not true? I highly doubt that your thin friend do NONE of the aforementioned things. I never said that ALL THIN PEOPLE DO THEM ALL--I actually acknowledged that most don't do them ALL. It's informative. That was my point.

I reiterate... TOTALLY not true..... and i stated friendS(plural) and family......not just one friend.....for example I have a cousin that has 3 kids, eats like she's pregnant all the time, NEVER exercises, and is THIN....I have many friends that are THIN, who I know for a fact DONT pay attention to what they eat, or portions, or any of that.... Thin people barely pay attention to what they eat.... another example.. my coworker.. THIN.... eats somwhere around 2000 calories a day, i know because we used to eat the same things for a long time, she does not exercise.... and she's what? THIN..... and i have SO MANY other points of reference.....
    Thin ppl dont have time to study about things like portion control, or fruits or exercise... because it has never been an issue for them, and they have functioned that way remaining thin.... We who are TRYING to become healthy DO. So this becomes the secrets of the once FAT..... not the secrets of the thin.

This article is very misleading, especially the name..... and statements like "Thin women prioritize eating right, exercising regularly, and reducing stress" whatttt?...

And I dont see this as informative. Informative is hardly like it. Informative would mean someting that was true..... but thatks for sharing , beacase it made me realise there are real quacks ( not u, the person who wrote the article) out there sharing THEIR own thoughts, which of course is subjective.

Dont be fooled, some people are just NATURALLY thin. You are free to disagree.
  • BenderFitness
    Options
    I think that a lot of the points are valid. This article is not saying do all of these things and you will be thin, it is saying that these are some common habits of people that are thin. It's not an attack on anyone's lifestyle or choices, it's just a compilation of trends seen by researchers.

Also, I differentiate thin and skinny. To me skinny implies lack of muscle, and thin just refers to body fat percentage. I am sure different people interpret that differently, but I don't think the article was trying to be offensive.
  • Kat5343
    Kat5343 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Why be thin when you can be badass? :wink:
    [/quote]

I absolutely love this!!!! :love:
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    thank you for the synopsis! I like bullet points.

The original article was pretty interesting. I consider myself thin-ish... haven't had to lose a lot of weight (maybe 20 pounds - and did that over 2 years).

That said... I fit #2,3, ~5, 6, 8, 10, 11, 12...

As I was reading the article, my mind was dismissing it as junk. I fully intended on replying and saying that this article doesn't really describe me... but after looking at all the points that DO apply to me... hey... I guess it does. lol

Thanks OP for sharing. (And for taking a few hits for doing so)
    Options
    I'm done here. I think the points are valid and cmon sense for the people already implementing them. If you don't like the word thin then I cannot help that.

I never claimed that thin = healthy. I never attacked anyone yet I'm feeling a bit attacked so I'll now remove myself from this discussion. Consider the strategies or not--I wasn't trying to start a debate.
  • fcp1234
    fcp1234 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I'm not about to read through all the crap, but love, you are amazing! You are such an inspiration to so many... This article was great, awesome tips for many of us striving for lower body fat! Lower body fat/ more definition/ better body composition= thinner. Any way you wanna cut it.

This post forgot to mention that sometimes "thin" people eat way less than 1200 calories a day that we seem to hate so much
  • redlady82
    redlady82 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Dude. What the crap? I love how this turned into someone sharing ways certain people keep low body fat and it's blossomed into an attack. I agree with what the OP said. It's rare you see people with low body fat that don't practice most of this. Sure some rare people with insanely high metabolisms eat a lot and stay thin but no telling how long that will last and the original attack was thin vs healthy so who says that's healthy? Eat all day and not work out? The OP advised towards movement and healthy eating so it wasn't just all about being thin it was, indeed, about being healthy. It's funny the attacks on the post turned into trying to prove against by people who practice unhealthy ways are still thin.

Also, I can promise you that there were will be some people who read this post today and link themselves out to the articles just to check it out and they will learn something they have never been taught; which I'm pretty clear was the intent of the OP; not to make people feel bad about not being "thin." Why not add something positive instead of smacking people down?
  • audreykts
    audreykts Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    All I know is, I moved out of Colorado and gained 30 lbs, lol.
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! :flowerforyou:
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I also think there is no big blanket that you can say all people do it one way. I also don't believe in the scale as a form of measurement, way too many emotions attached to it. If you binge all the time and don't exercise it can be a deterrent but it is not the be all end all to fitness especially if you are building muscle. Then it can cause you to binge when you work really hard and are getting no results. I know plenty of thin people that do not weigh themselves because they do not want that number to define them. This is a psychological battle as well as a physical one, maybe even more so. I am not attacking you, I am attacking the article. Some of the points really irritated me. I grew up in California and everyone and there mother as well as father was getting liposuction. There are a lot of thin people in California too. I always felt a lot of pressure on me to be a certain way and I was so unhappy there because it was so shallow and thin meant accepted and included (which I wasn't). Focusing on health and fitness is the key for me, not being thin.
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    According to Merriam Webster, thin is defined as:
    1a : having little extent from one surface to its opposite <thin paper>
    1b : measuring little in cross section or diameter <thin rope>
    2: not dense in arrangement or distribution <thin hair>
    3: not well fleshed : lean

Synonyms: bony (also boney), fatless, lean, lithe, skinny, slender, slim, spare, svelte

The poster seems to have taken a lot of heat from posting this article, but if you read her preamble, there is a lot to be said for her statement...
    "I certainly agree that most thin people do subscribe to SOME of these ideals"

She isn't claiming (nor is the article's author) that in order to be thin you MUST do ALL of the items noted. She's just saying that there may be some truth to what has been said.

She isn't claiming that if you DON'T do the above, you are going to be fat.

She isn't claiming that ALL thin people are like this. Case in point... I have a co-worker who is required to see her doctor every two months because she simply CANNOT gain weight OR muscle mass. She eats like a pig and is stick thin. She has "the gap". This article, obviously does not apply to her.

I've cut out a lot of the words from the original post, and I think when you get past the wordiness... there is some truth to it. If it doesn't apply to you - whether you are thin or not - no biggie.

I certainly don't think that if you were to implement some of these that you would get fat.

Sincerely,
    Sandra
    (aka... defender of mankind lol)

While I don't believe ALL THIN people do ALL of these things, I certainly agree that most thin people do subscribe to some of these ideals/behaviors. It's one of the best articles on "secrets of thin people" that I've come across. I hope it helps at least 1 person..I tried to cut out the extra stuff to cut to the chase without losing any of the message.

Thin people favor bulky foods.

Thin people watch portion sizes.

Thin people can put themselves first.

keyword : CAN

Thin people have thin parents.

and it's not just genetics - some of it is trained behavior - healthy eating, healthy living, active lifestyle, etc...

Thin people don’t skip meals.

Thin people limit their options.

Thin people live in Colorado.
    ... Colorado has attracted people who value outdoor living and health and wellness more,” ... They’re willing to prioritize health and wellness.”

NOT: Move to colorado... note :ACTIVE LIFESTYLE:
    Thin people don’t sit still.

Thin people weigh themselves.

Thin people don’t skip breakfast.

Thin people enjoy their food.
    “Our bodies have a budget, like our checkbook. We should ‘spend’ on what we eat selectively, not compulsively.”

Thin people practice early intervention.

Thin people do what works.
  • therapyruns
    therapyruns Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    There is no point to this article. Or this thread. I regret reading it because at the end of the day, none of what was discussed even matters. Everyone has an extremely different lifestyle and should do what's best for themselves.
  • BluthLover
    BluthLover Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Holy crap. All she tried to do was post some helpful information. She got heat for using the word "thin"? Seriously? That's insane. Read the info or Don't. Who cares? I think it would have been less controversial if she said "secrets of thin people. Starve." Would that have caused this huge a reaction? Dang.
  • Bakerchk
    Bakerchk Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Here's my thought. If you don't agree with the post, GO HOME. No one needs your rude, ignorant comments. Just because you don't agree, doesn't mean others can't find this helpful.

I don't know what has gotten into people but I am seeing more and more negative posts on this website. It really is a disgrace. I would never think about attacking someone on their thread, I don't care WHAT they posted. If I don't like it, I move on to the next. Maybe that's just me and something called "common courtesy".

Love4Fitness: Keep up your hard work. You are a huge inspiration to me and I applaud you for standing your ground. :)
  • eatcleanNtraindirty
    eatcleanNtraindirty Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I think that a lot of the points are valid. This article is not saying do all of these things and you will be thin, it is saying that these are some common habits of people that are thin. It's not an attack on anyone's lifestyle or choices, it's just a compilation of trends seen by researchers.

Also, I differentiate thin and skinny. To me skinny implies lack of muscle, and thin just refers to body fat percentage. I am sure different people interpret that differently, but I don't think the article was trying to be offensive.

It's quite relieving to see someone else with a good head on their shoulders :) I agree on both points.